Eight transgender questions maybe more

• Thread starter Thread starter FrostArcana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrostArcana

1. Can they always be called by the preferred pronoun and name or is this some type of lie?
  2. Do they have to disclose their status when getting baptized and converting especially if they are passing?
  3. Do they have to attempt to detransition if they convert, or may they keep on living the way they have been?
  4. May they take a Saint name of the gender they please?
  5. If not impotent, may they have a valid Catholic marriage to the opposite biological sex (if a trans woman they would marry a female, if a trans man they would marry a male), do they have to detransition for this?
  6. If they have partially transitioned may they complete the process after baptism?
  7. Is wearing clothes of their preferred gender considered crossdressing and if so is it a sin?
  8. Especially if passing, after their conversion may they participate in parish life as the gender they prefer (attending gendered events, etc) or is this considered a type of sin?
Any answers appreciated

PS: the questions about converting and life after conversion matter more than anything right now, so if you can only do one please do one of those

Last edited:
There are only two genders - male and female.
It does not matter what a person thinks, says, does, how they dress, what drugs they take or surgery they may have done they remain what they were biologically born.
Before anyone jumps in to say gender and sex are different I find that nonsense. They are the same.

@edward_george1 Any official Church teachings on the subject (before this thread becomes a train wreck… )?
Thanks a lot

I’m also interested in knowing the answers to these questions before people pipe in with their own opinions.

My…this is quite a long read. Gotta get the laptop out for this.

Thanks for posting!

How much does this matter for an individual Catholic? I know of this document but it seems at the level of one of those things you can just ignore, so I just ignore it and tell others to. Is there anything better? How much authority do these congregations have? Is this basically someone’s opinion? I don’t know :confused:

Last edited:
Maybe you should speak tonthe priest at the church you want to attend… then you can get direct answers to your specific situation. The only thing you might get here are comments similar to the first post.

Why not join the church after you transition? Then the only one who knows your heart, mind and yiur only judge will be God.

Last edited:
I’m trying to help a Methodist person join who wants to join, really for many reasons not the least of which is transphobia can the local priests be asked. If the comments are consistently unhelpful they’ll just go through with joining but telling no one since that is the easiest way.

How much does this matter for an individual Catholic? I know of this document but it seems at the level of one of those things you can just ignore, so I just ignore it and tell others to. Is there anything better? How much authority do these congregations have? Is this basically someone’s opinion? I don’t kno
That paper is from the Vatican. It is the Church’s position that you cannot change gender. It is not some individual’s opinion.

Probably s/he may get some replies meeting with a priest at the parish before joining RCIA. I don’t think hiding the situation In real life or just digging random opinions online will be very helpful.

Last edited:
I think that Sexual orientation is also important to consider
in secular society any combination of male female sex is
a possibility. However the Church(RCC) focusses on the
reason for sex in the first place, Procreation, and beyond that
even more stressed, is the Family, no matter how disfunctional
becoming a body of believers!! that having said, we welcome
all genders and transgenders who will live by the rules of the
teachings of the Church.

Last edited:
The random questions online probably isn’t, but talking about it irl would essentially out them to the whole city when they haven’t been clocked for many years, so I don’t know.

I am surprised, priests are supposed to be very discrete when dealing with very personal people issues.
Maybe you could consider to contact, instead of the local parish, some Catholic institutions in communion with Rome but not so uncomfortable discussing these kind of topics (for example Franciscans or Jesuits).

A lot of good questions. I don’t have a lot of answers, but I would begin with the premise that the Catholic Church is for everyone.

A priest who is willing to listen, inform, and guide, true to the Catholic faith of course, would be your best resource. Start with the pastor.

I too would like to know the answers.

Last edited:
    • Can they always be called by the preferred pronoun and name or is this some type of lie?
    • Do they have to disclose their status when getting baptized and converting especially if they are passing?
    • Do they have to attempt to detransition if they convert, or may they keep on living the way they have been?
    • May they take a Saint name of the gender they please?
    • If not impotent, may they have a valid Catholic marriage to the opposite biological sex (if a trans woman they would marry a female, if a trans man they would marry a male), do they have to detransition for this?
    • If they have partially transitioned may they complete the process after baptism?
    • Is wearing clothes of their preferred gender considered crossdressing and if so is it a sin?
    • Especially if passing, after their conversion may they participate in parish life as the gender they prefer (attending gendered events, etc) or is this considered a type of sin?
Just one Catholic’s opinion here, based on what I hope is common sense, take it for what it’s worth:
  1. As a practical matter, I’d use whatever pronoun they prefer, out of courtesy and sensitivity to their deeply-held feelings.
  2. I would think so. The Church doesn’t recognize changing of gender.
  3. I suppose — and this is really a stretch — that one could choose to live as their desired gender. There is really no nice way to say this, but some women, judging by their hair, grooming, dress, and mannerisms, are virtually indistinguishable from men. Some women never wear anything other than sweatshirts, flannel shirts, and loose jeans (and no, they’re not all lesbians!). For a comic example, think of Ralph Monroe on Green Acres. Our society pretty much accepts this as “whatever”, and if there is no sexually aberrant sinful activity involved, it’s hard to find moral fault with it. (Men dressing and grooming as women, somehow that just doesn’t work quite as seamlessly. It just doesn’t.)
  4. As far as I am aware, you can take any saint’s name you please. “Back in the day”, women religious commonly took the names of male saints. Some male religious took the name of Mary.
  5. I am just sitting here chuckling and rolling my eyes. Absolutely, strictly speaking, if they are able to perform the normal marital act as the gender they were born into, there would be no impediment. If they’ve “had the surgery”, yep, that could be a problem.
  6. No, I would say that “things have to come to a screeching halt”. As far as surgery, there are some things that just can’t be undone. I’d say “leave things as they are” and live with whatever that entails. Depending on the type of surgery already done, hormonal therapy might be needed for health reasons.

Last edited:
  1. It’s not my thing, but some people cross-dress for any number of reasons. I discussed "women who ‘dress like men’ " above. Unless one wishes literally to apply Deuteronomy 22:5, it’s hard to see the sinfulness of this.
  2. I’d say that would be up to the pastor. In more conservative parishes, it might not be well-received. If I were a member of my parish’s woodworking or welding club (assuming they had one), and if a woman came in, wearing “men’s clothing”, and said “I want to join the club, you can call me Butch”, I wouldn’t have a problem with it — “okay, Butch, welcome to the club, you want a cold beer?”. Some might react differently.
Just my two lepta worth.

Catholic morality forbids the destruction of healthy body parts.

Gender dysphoria and the many varied conditions that are currently under the same term “transgender” is seen by Catholic bioethicists as a mental illness/cultural phenomenon.

Your friend needs to talk to a priest, and hopefully they are also under the care of a competent psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back