Eight transgender questions maybe more

• Thread starter Thread starter FrostArcana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones I know who are atheists don’t even believe in a metaphysical framework
“Born in the wrong body” may sound like metaphysics, but it isn’t really. It simply means that the individual’s sense of self is as one sex whereas their actual sex is plainly and unambiguously the other.

What is “sense of self” - it’s just that mental picture we all have of ourself - including our sense of maleness or femaleness. Where it comes from is not certain - some theories suggest some error in brain formation.

Dysphoria is the dissonance arising when the actual and mental picture don’t agree.

Last edited:
I wonder why you would assume that those who wish to transition do so merely because they “casually” think they are born in the wrong body?
I think you misread what I wrote. I wrote, “I thought that transgender people wanted hormones and surgery, etc. to relieve the symptoms of gender dysphoria, NOT because they just casually think that perhaps they were born in the wrong body.” There’s that “NOT” in there which indicates that this is NOT what I believe.

40.png
FrostArcana:
The ones I know who are atheists don’t even believe in a metaphysical framework
“Born in the wrong body” may sound like metaphysics, but it isn’t really. It simply means that the individual’s sense of self is as one sex whereas their actual sex is plainly and unambiguously the other.

What is “sense of self” - it’s just that mental picture we all have of ourself - including our sense of maleness or femaleness. Where it comes from is not certain - some theories suggest some error in brain formation.

Dysphoria is the dissonance arising when the actual and mental picture don’t agree.
This is why I dislike “born in the wrong body” because I think it is misunderstood by a lot of people who think it has some sort of metaphysical meaning.

Last edited:
According to Freud, Male/femaleness develops during early childhood,
where the concept on maleness and femaleness is molded:

(From College of Canyon \Gender Identity 9.4 \ by Paris, Ricardo, Raymond & Johnson)

Freud and the Phallic Stage

Freud believed that masculinity and femininity were learned during the phallic stage of psychosexual development. According to Freud, during the phallic stage, the child develops an attraction to the opposite-sex parent but after recognizing that they cannot actually be romantically involved with that parent, the child learns to model their own behavior after the same-sex parent. The child develops his or her own sense of masculinity or femininity from this resolution. And, according to Freud, a person who does not exhibit gender-appropriate behavior, such as a woman who competes with men for jobs or a man who lacks self-assurance and dominance, has not successfully completed this stage of development. Consequently, such a person continues to struggle with his or her own gender identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back