Elijah assumed into Heaven?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reliz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reliz

Guest
2 Kings 2:11 says: “As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind”

What is the Catholic interpretation of this passage? Was Elijah taken into Heaven in body and soul? How does this relate to Mary’s Assumption? My understanding is that Mary is the only human creature that has been assumed into Heaven in body and soul in anticipation of Judgement Day because of her special role in salvation history. What does the Church tell us about how to interpret Elijah being taken into Heaven?
 
source: catholic.com/library/Immaculate_Conception_and_Assum.asp

"The doctrine of the Assumption says that at the end of her life on earth Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven, just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others had been before her. It’s also necessary to keep in mind what the Assumption is not. Some people think Catholics believe Mary “ascended” into heaven. That’s not correct. Christ, by his own power, ascended into heaven. Mary was assumed or taken up into heaven by God. She didn’t do it under her own power. "
 
At the end of the Pentateuch you’ll see that Moses body was never found and buried. It seems to me that it implies that Moses’ body was also assumed in to heaven.

Since Elijah’s assumption is explicit in the Bible I supposed Fundamentalists believe it. I just don’t understand how they can believe the Lord assumed Elijah but not his own Mother. (Remember, He was the perfect Jewish Boy. 🙂 )
 
At the end of the Pentateuch you’ll see that Moses body was never found and buried. It seems to me that it implies that Moses’ body was also assumed in to heaven.
Moses died and was buried.

Deut. 35:5-6 “And Moses the servant of the Lord died there, in the land of Moab, by the commandment of the Lord:
And he buried him in the valley of the land of Moab over against Phogor: and no man hath known of his sepulchre until this present day.”
 
It has occurred to me that the reason both Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration was not just because they represented the Law and Prophets, but also because Moses had died and Elijah had been assumed into heaven. I believe it witnesses to what Jesus said about those who have died–that they are alive not dead:

Matt.22
[32] “`I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.”

Mark.12
[27a] “He is not God of the dead, but of the living…”

Luke.20
[38] Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living; for all live to him."

This is important to understanding the Church’s teaching about the Communion of Saints, of whom Mary is the greatest.
 
Moses died and was buried.

Deut. 35:5-6 “And Moses the servant of the Lord died there, in the land of Moab, by the commandment of the Lord:
And he buried him in the valley of the land of Moab over against Phogor: and no man hath known of his sepulchre until this present day.”
Yes, He died and was buried but if His body was still there they would know where the sepulchre is.
 
Recall also that in Jude’s epistle, St. Michael the Archangel and Satan get into a dispute over Moses’ body, which Michael wins by saying, “The Lord rebuke thee!” What could the dispute have been about?

Interesting contemplation, isn’t it?
 
Yes, He died and was buried but if His body was still there they would know where the sepulchre is.
I think you misunderstand me. I have not said Moses was not assumed into Heaven. I was merely responding to your earlier comment that he was not buried. He was buried.

As for the tomb, God did not allow the people of Moses to know where he had been buried. Therefore assumed or not nobody knows where he was buried.

Like Mary died, was buried and then assumed into Heaven without her body being corrupted that could also have been the case for Moses.
 
I think you misunderstand me. I have not said Moses was not assumed into Heaven. I was merely responding to your earlier comment that he was not buried. He was buried.

As for the tomb, God did not allow the people of Moses to know where he had been buried. Therefore assumed or not nobody knows where he was buried.

Like Mary died, was buried and then assumed into Heaven without her body being corrupted that could also have been the case for Moses.
Thanks for the correction.
 
At the end of the Pentateuch you’ll see that Moses body was never found and buried. It seems to me that it implies that Moses’ body was also assumed in to heaven.
The text you are referring to does not imply that Moses was assumed. However, there was a book in later Judaism entitled “The Assumption of Moses.” So in Jewish belief, even Moses was assumed. Thus, Moses and Elijah appeared with the Lord on the Mount of Transfiguration because both prophets were taken up into heaven.
 
=reliz;1788278]2 Kings 2:11 says: “As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind”
What is the Catholic interpretation of this passage? Was Elijah taken into Heaven in body and soul? How does this relate to Mary’s Assumption? My understanding is that Mary is the only human creature that has been assumed into Heaven in body and soul in anticipation of Judgement Day because of her special role in salvation history. What does the Church tell us about how to interpret Elijah being taken into Heaven?
I’m a bit under the weather at the moment so forgive no back up evidence.

The Catholic Position is indeed that Elijah [perhaps the greatest Prophet?] was taken up into heaven. But there is another man prior to Elijah who was also assumed into heaven. Sorry I can’t remember his name.🤷

Both predate Mary and give evidence of her Assumption.
 
If you look at the Assumption, the word ‘Singular’ is not attached to the event. That word is only used in regard to the Immaculate Conception. So the Church teaches definitively on the Assumption, but does not deny that others could also have been assumed.
 
I’m a bit under the weather at the moment so forgive no back up evidence.

The Catholic Position is indeed that Elijah [perhaps the greatest Prophet?] was taken up into heaven. But there is another man prior to Elijah who was also assumed into heaven. Sorry I can’t remember his name.🤷

Both predate Mary and give evidence of her Assumption.
Enoch. Genesis 5:22.
 
Originally Posted by thistle
Moses died and was buried.
It is so interesting that God buried Moses. I can’t recall any other time that God did such a thing. No wonder they were unable to find his burial place - God obviously did not want the Israelites to know the spot.
 
2 Kings 2:11 says: “As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind”

What is the Catholic interpretation of this passage? Was Elijah taken into Heaven in body and soul? How does this relate to Mary’s Assumption? My understanding is that Mary is the only human creature that has been assumed into Heaven in body and soul in anticipation of Judgement Day because of her special role in salvation history. What does the Church tell us about how to interpret Elijah being taken into Heaven?
That question has always gotten to me to. I didn’t know if it was a metaphor or literal. I knew that Protestants believe that it was a metaphor; that they referred to some ‘3 Heavens’ teaching. After researching, the Church does indeed believe that Elijah was assumed into Heaven by God:

"The doctrine of the Assumption says that at the end of her life on earth Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven, just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others had been before her."

Interestingly, the point has been brought up about Moses being assumed into Heaven too. And I think it’s not unworthy of belief (but has never been officially taught). The only reason I say that is because they were both present on the mount during Jesus’ prefigured glorification; the Transfiguration.
I think it’s interesting that both figures, Moses and Elijah, were very connected to God on mountains; Moses recieved the Law on Mount Sinai, and Elijah recieved the Divine Manifestation of God as a gentle whispering breeze on Mount Horeb. The Transfiguration of Jesus was on Mount Tabor, and they are both seen discussing with Jesus the Exodus He would achieve through His death and resurrection. Interesting to think about; very mystical.

It’s not just reduced to them either. I don’t remember the name, but a certain Saint taught that St. Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, has also been assumed into Heaven. Some have thought that St. John the Baptist, while having been concieved with sin, was born without it, and was also assumed to Heaven after his martyrdom (interesting comparison, seeing as it was prophecied that Elijah would return, and Jesus identified John the Baptist with Elijah’s return to earth…any thoughts?)

The only official teachings of anyone being assumed into Heaven was of Mary, and for good reason. She was the prophecied Virgin mother of the Messiah, immaculately concieved, co-redemptorix, and vessel of all God’s graces through Jesus Christ. She’s the only one we really know to have been assumed, and that’s good enough for me. She’s the Mother of the Son of God; the Mother of the Eternal Word…who in all human history would’ve been more worthy of entering Heaven body and soul other than Jesus Himself? Nobody.
 
That question has always gotten to me to. I didn’t know if it was a metaphor or literal. I knew that Protestants believe that it was a metaphor; that they referred to some ‘3 Heavens’ teaching. After researching, the Church does indeed believe that Elijah was assumed into Heaven by God:

"The doctrine of the Assumption says that at the end of her life on earth Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven, just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others had been before her."
.
The above quote from an article on the following site ( catholic.com/library/Immaculate_Conception_and_Assum.asp ) could erroneously lead some to think that the last phrase “just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others…” is part of the papal bull, Munificentissimus Deus, which proclaimed the teaching about Mary’s Assumption as dogma. Just so there’s no confusion, the official document does not mention Enoch and Elijah. (The author of the article does not give reference sources after the statement about Enoch and Elijah. However, it does provide links at the bottom to various writings of saints. Could be they are mentioned in some of those.)

Here is a link to the papal bull -
vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-xii_apc_19501101_munificentissimus-deus_en.html
 
=marymichael10;6753294]That question has always gotten to me to. I didn’t know if it was a metaphor or literal. I knew that Protestants believe that it was a metaphor; that they referred to some ‘3 Heavens’ teaching. After researching, the Church does indeed believe that Elijah was assumed into Heaven by God:
As to the issue of Metaphore; Perhaps this will help you?
**Sirach 48: 1 - 14 **

Then the prophet Elijah arose like a fire, and his word burned like a torch.He brought a famine upon them, and by his zeal he made them few in number. By the word of the Lord he shut up the heavens, and also three times brought down fire. How glorious you were, O Elijah, in your wondrous deeds! And who has the right to boast which you have? You who raised a corpse from death and from Hades, by the word of the Most High; who brought kings down to destruction, and famous men from their beds; who heard rebuke at Sinai and judgments of vengeance at Horeb; who anointed kings to inflict retribution, and prophets to succeed you. You who were taken up by a whirlwind of fire, in a chariot with horses of fire; you who are ready at the appointed time, it is written, to calm the wrath of God before it breaks out in fury, to turn the heart of the father to the son, and to restore the tribes of Jacob. Blessed are those who saw you, and those who have been adorned in love; for we also shall surely live. It was Elijah who was covered by the whirlwind, and Elisha was filled with his spirit; in all his days he did not tremble before any ruler, and no one brought him into subjection. Nothing was too hard for him, and when he was dead his body prophesied. **As in his life he did wonders, so in death his deeds were marvelous **
Keep in mind that he appeared with Moses and Jesus at the “Transfiguration!”
It’s not just reduced to them either. I don’t remember the name, but a certain Saint taught that St. Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, has also been assumed into Heaven. Some have thought that St. John the Baptist, while having been concieved with sin, was born without it, and was also assumed to Heaven after his martyrdom (interesting comparison, seeing as it was prophecied that Elijah would return, and Jesus identified John the Baptist with Elijah’s return to earth…any thoughts?) Nobody.
***The assumption of Joseph an John the Baptist are neither doctrine or dogma; therefore one’s belief is optional and strictly personal. ***
 
The above quote from an article on the following site ( catholic.com/library/Immaculate_Conception_and_Assum.asp ) could erroneously lead some to think that the last phrase “just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others…” is part of the papal bull, Munificentissimus Deus, which proclaimed the teaching about Mary’s Assumption as dogma. Just so there’s no confusion, the official document does not mention Enoch and Elijah. (The author of the article does not give reference sources after the statement about Enoch and Elijah. However, it does provide links at the bottom to various writings of saints. Could be they are mentioned in some of those.)

Here is a link to the papal bull -
vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-xii_apc_19501101_munificentissimus-deus_en.html
Thanks. I’ll look at it.

As I said, the only official dogma of any assumption is of Mary. But the Bible does say that Elijah was taken up, and that he returned in John the Baptist. Just interesting to think about. I’m not really familiar with the story of Enoch, so I really don’t have the room to speculate.
As to the issue of Metaphore; Perhaps this will help you?
Sirach 48: 1 - 14
…By the word of the Lord he shut up the heavens, and also three times brought down fire. How glorious you were, O Elijah, in your wondrous deeds!.. As in his life he did wonders, so in death his deeds were marvelous
Yes I’m familiar with these verses. I love the passage. It doesn’t really prove that he wasn’t assumed to Heaven though. It also says, ‘You who were taken up by a whirlwind of fire, in a chariot with horses of fire.’ As far as I know, it’s the only detailed description in the Bible of a man being taken to heaven, other than the Ascension of Jesus Himself.

The Church also makes no distinction or absolute statement on whether the Virgin Mary died or not. It simply says, ‘At the end of her earthly life, she was taken up to Heaven’ to become Queen of Heaven and Mother of the Church. Many think she did indeed die, and was raised, and then taken to Heaven. Others think that since she was free from all sin, and through the death and resurrection of Her Son, she didn’t need to die and was simply taken when Jesus desired it. I’m in no position to assume which theory is true.
The assumption of Joseph an John the Baptist are neither doctrine or dogma; therefore one’s belief is optional and strictly personal.
I know. I was just saying that some certain saints were strong to believe such. Like I said, the only official teaching of any person being assumed to Heaven is that of Mother Mary.
 
I was going to post a question about Elijah’s assumption to heaven too, good thing I saw this thread. I do not mean to derail the thread, I think that my question is relevant to the OP’s question. Please keep in mind that I may not be correct in my understanding and I want to learn and be in line with Church teaching.

Well here it is. I understand, and believe, that God assumed Elijah, Mary, Enoch, and whoever else he saw fit to be honored with that privelage. But my question has to do with my undestanding that, Heaven was closed to mortals, and those who died in friendship with God went to the place of the dead, Sheol. Heaven was not open until, Jesus’ Resurrection, and after the resurrection, those in Sheol went to Heaven. Correct me if I am wrong on this, but this is what I remember hearing. I remember seeing a painting too, of Jesus leaving the place of the dead with Adam and Eve holding on to His hands, not that I am basing my understanding on the painting.

Now, I know that God is all powerfull and can do whatever He wants. But what made them, besides our Lady, more privelaged than other people who died in friendship with God, to be assumed into heaven? Were these people not born with original sin, and because of this made crossing that gap between Sheol and heaven easier?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top