Entropy, life and teleology

• Thread starter Thread starter Neithan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Freddy:
We’re laymen. It’ll do for us.
It’ll do only until you start to arrive at false conclusions, which happened in the very first post of this thread.
And more to the point, it has been explained that life doesn’t violate the second law.
Indeed it has, albeit not in great depth.
Do we need to go any deeper? Life doesn’t violate it. As per the op: ‘Life is basically an ordered process to negative entropy’. I think that’s as much as we need.

40.png
Freddy:
Then what is your definition of teleology except there being a purpose for everything?
If God exist then there is a purpose for everything, just not in the way you want to imply. When i say there is a teleological relationship between particular attributes and their environment i mean that those relations cannot exist as a possibility without the knowledge and intent of a creator because those relations cannot be considered natural even though they emerge naturally. I used the example of the key and the door because that is an example of a relationship that requires knowledge. The key and the door did not create that possible relationship because they are blind to their function. An intelligence did.

I arrive at this conclusion about nature because things like sight, nervous systems, brains, hearing, even the fight or flight response all presuppose the existence of something that nature has no knowledge of, and yet they are a direct reference to an environment. They meaningfully relate to an environment. These are examples of relationships that could only exist as a possibility if a creator intended for those possibilities to exist because a creator has knowledge and nature does not…
If you simply want to say that teleology exists if God exists then I will completely agree. But it’s already been pointed out that there is no foreknowledge and it’s a matter of chance not design. And I appreciate that that doesn’t gel with your belief in God. How can it possible be entirely random and end up with us. Well, that’s a problem that you have and I don’t.

But you are very close indeed to making the same arguments as our good friends Buffalo and o-mlly.

But you are very close indeed to making the same arguments as our good friends Buffalo and o-mlly.
If you think that, then you are misreading my argument. My argument is correct regardless of the fact that attributes emerge naturally. It’s irrelevant to my argument.

I arrive at this conclusion about nature because things like sight, nervous systems, brains, hearing, even the fight or flight response all presuppose the existence of something that nature has no knowledge of, and yet they are a direct reference to an environment. They meaningfully relate to an environment. These are examples of relationships that could only exist as a possibility if a creator intended for those possibilities to exist because a creator has knowledge and nature does not…

Last edited:
Life is an emergent property of non-life. Consciousness is an emergent property from non-consciousness. These are the pious fictions of the materialist. 🙂 They are improbable to the point of irrational, and are only the “best explanation” of the data if it’s assumed that there is no other explanation and can not be any other explanation. Still, they don’t explain it, only assume that somehow, it can be explained, eventually, maybe. Or maybe not.

Last edited:
They meaningfully relate to an environment. These are examples of relationships that could only exist as a possibility if a creator intended for those possibilities to exist because a creator has knowledge and nature does not…
You have a problem as I noted in my last post. You haven’t reached your conclusion about the senses and the environment and then decided it must mean that God exists. You already believe in God so therefore your view on there being design and the impossibility of it being entirely random is already fixed.

Your belief in God allows no other decision as far as you are concerned. Whereas I have two options: If God exists then there is design and teleology in everything. If He doesn’t then there isn’t.

For so many reasons, evolution not being any of them, I have made my selection.

Do we need to go any deeper?
That remains to be seen.

Having thought about it more, I have to say that the definition at that website is quite poor. They need to consult someone who understands the subject.

Life is an emergent property of non-life. Consciousness is an emergent property from non-consciousness. These are the pious fictions of the materialist.
From the atheist dictionary:

adjective

adjective: emergent
  1. We have no idea what caused that effect so let’s give it an adjective that implies that we do.

You haven’t reached your conclusion about the senses and the environment and then decided it must mean that God exists.
I believe in that which makes rational sense to me. My theism goes beyond faith, and is a rational conclusion based on experience.

Faith goes beyond my theism, way beyond it; and without it I might be an atheist in a vague “I don’t know anything” kind of way (more of a weak deist technically), but materialism still wouldn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:
40.png
Freddy:
Do we need to go any deeper?
That remains to be seen.

Having thought about it more, I have to say that the definition at that website is quite poor. They need to consult someone who understands the subject.
You go and find someone then, and I’ll wait here.

40.png
Freddy:
You haven’t reached your conclusion about the senses and the environment and then decided it must mean that God exists.
I believe in that which makes rational sense to me. My theism goes beyond faith, and is a rational conclusion based on experience.
But if you believe in God, for whatever reasons that make sense to you (and I fully accept that your reasons are as meaningful to you as mine are to me), then teleology in nature must exist. Am I right?

but materialism still wouldn’t make sense to me.
The problem with metaphysical naturalism is that you don’t really end up with an explanation of anything. Somewhere along the line you bump into a brute fact, and what you are left with is a just-so-story masquerading as explanation ad-infinitum. It’s literally the acceptance of anything but God.

Last edited:
It’s post-hoc and frustrating when so many (Dawkins) admit they know very little philosophy but are still spouting unsubstantiated certainties. At least Dennett goes all the way with his materialism, but then language starts to break down and you can’t even communicate scientific concepts without contradicting yourself or admitting that what you’re saying isn’t really true, it’s just a useful fiction. At that point it’s an ideology, really.

I respect Thomas Nagel, who is really committed to atheism but at least has abandoned the reductionist kind of materialism.

Last edited:
Evolution, in toto, is a constant demonstration of natural teleology: an organizing principle that continues to operate despite entropy.

Can this be metaphysically reconciled?
This problem came up way before life. An absolute perspective on entropy was broken the instant matter started globbing together to form stars and galaxies.

The answer is pretty easy; so then I guess entropy is not the only principle that exists in physics. The universe is more complex than that.

Easy enough, right?

Materialism is a particular form of denial. Denial is a form of wishful thinking. I wish that there is no God (to whom I would be accountable and to whom I would give thanks for existence and everthing in existence) and no afterlife.
Let’s try that in a different key:
Christianity is a particular form of denial. Denial is a form of wishful thinking. I wish that there is no Allah (to whom I would be accountable and to whom I would give thanks for existence and everything in existence)
I think you need to work more on that argument, it applies to a great many things, including Christianity.

You need to take into account whether the system is open or closed. The second law is dependant on it.
The Second Law applies whether the system is open or closed. In a closed system entropy always increases. In an open system, entropy can locally decrease, but there is a larger increase in the surroundings outside the open system.

A refrigerator decreases entropy locally, inside itself. The power generating station increases entropy in the surroundings by more than the decrease in the fridge.

If God exist then there is a purpose for everything…
Why “a purpose”, singular rather than “purposes”, plural? Is the purpose of a poisonous mushroom to poison people or to propagate more poisonous mushrooms? Is it both? Multiple purposes are far more commonly seen than a single purpose.

40.png
Freddy:
You need to take into account whether the system is open or closed. The second law is dependant on it.
The Second Law applies whether the system is open or closed. In a closed system entropy always increases. In an open system, entropy can locally decrease, but there is a larger increase in the surroundings outside the open system.

A refrigerator decreases entropy locally, inside itself. The power generating station increases entropy in the surroundings by more than the decrease in the fridge.
I concur. If my post was unclear (and it related to the second law and life) then my bad. I didn’t mean the second law ceased to operate. Just that it runs in two directions depending on the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back