***Europe's debt to the U.S. (History's other great relief effort)

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
jlw:
Like having a conversation about soccer and different teams and mentioning Manchester United…LAST???
Are we now talking about the much touted CIVILITY of English soccer (football) fans??? :rolleyes:

That’s one thing you have to hand to us uncouth Americans, we never have riots in our sports stadiums. 😛

Come on WhiteDove, don’t you know that we Americans areuncouth compared those civil and refined Europeans? We have the NASCAR, The Budweiser, The Red Sox, and McDonalds.

40.png
Lilyofthevalley:
Come on WhiteDove, don’t you know that we Americans areuncouth compared those civil and refined Europeans? We have the NASCAR, The Budweiser, The Red Sox, and McDonalds.
Dear Lily,
Well, now that you mention it, there are some aspects of American culture that bug me. Do you want a list??? :rolleyes:

But, this thread was meant to accentuate some positives… 🙂

A seperate thread about Americans quirks and downfalls should be created! :rotfl: :rotfl:

40.png
WhiteDove:
Dear Emmy,
No disrespect, but aren’t you the one who started a thread boasting about how much Holland was giving to the relief effort? There’s an old saying in English “he who lives a glass house shouldn’t throw stones”

I thought this was a very nice article put out by the BBC pointing out that the U.S. has done some nice things for Europeans. It’s a positve thing. President Hoover really went above and beyond the call of duty.

I’m sure the Dutch are very fine people too. (I’m part Dutch myself, in fact) No sense in getting upset at anyone or villifying anyone. 🙂 It sounds like you have some angry feelings towards Americans generally. May I ask why?
I started that thread cause only a week earlier there was a same thread about the US. It is good to see there are other countries generous too.

I don´t have any agry feelings towards Americans. Some of my best friends are even American. I only object to people who brag so much that they feel superior and I do feel that often here in this forum. The US is always good and right, the rest of the world wrong and evil. Maybe it is not intented but it does make people feel that way.

Emmy

40.png
Emmy:
Some of my best friends are even American.
LOL! And some of my best friends are even Blacks and Jews! :rolleyes: (famous line said by countless bigots across the land) 😃

Dear Emmy,
My mother always said “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”. maybe they don’t have that saying in Dutch though. 😦 Of course, I’m absolutely certain that I can judge every Dutch man and woman by reading your posts! That’s totally logical, don’t you think??? 🙂

40.png
WhiteDove:
LOL! And some of my best friends are even Blacks and Jews! :rolleyes: (famous line said by countless bigots across the land) 😃

Dear Emmy,
My mother always said “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”. maybe they don’t have that saying in Dutch though. 😦 Of course, I’m absolutely certain that I can judge every Dutch man and woman by reading your posts! That’s totally logical, don’t you think??? 🙂
Very Good White Dove 👍 I totally see your point only if our other Eurpoean friends would also…

space ghost:
Let me check with a few native americans first about our generosity, then i will try to put the rest into perspective :cool:

I am very proud of every penny sent by this country, however, i refrain from crowing too loudly, as a percentate of our GNP, we are far from the top of the list… we could do better and i hope we do…

i just hope the memories of the recent disaster stay fresh in the minds of the american public… 👍
Are you sure you are and American. Since when do we count our giving by the European GNP method. :rolleyes: Brother, I hope we never do. Scuse me but I can give to help others without the government taxing me to death to do it. In the end we give more as a Nation than any one else and we have the freedom to give where we wish. I don’t ever want my dollars being forced from me to kill the unborn in the third world as the Europeans do. Thank you Very Much!

40.png
Marie:
Are you sure you are and American. Since when do we count our giving by the European GNP method. :rolleyes: Brother, I hope we never do. Scuse me but I can give to help others without the government taxing me to death to do it. In the end we give more as a Nation than any one else and we have the freedom to give where we wish. I don’t ever want my dollars being forced from me to kill the unborn in the third world as the Europeans do. Thank you Very Much!
As to checking with native Americans…you can check right here. Got a boatload in my family and they are not gripping and moaning to be Europeans either. :rolleyes:

40.png
WhiteDove:
Gee Aimee, thanks… :o
Ahh… :o I should have said I totally see your point… if only our
other Eurpoean friends would also…

(I transposed if only )

40.png
WhiteDove:
Gee Aimee, thanks… :o
Oh White Dove…I see I transposed some words :o

I said "Very Good White Dove I totally see your point only if our other Eurpoean friends would also…

Should have said"Very Good White Dove I totally see your point if only our other Eurpoean friends would also…"

Looks like I’ll be proof reading a bit more :o

40.png
WhiteDove:

Dear Emmy,
I am not judging every American but maybe I am not allowed here to speak my opinion…?

Emmy

40.png
Marie:
. Scuse me but I can give to help others without the government taxing me to death to do it. In the end we give more as a Nation than any one else and we have the freedom to give where we wish. I don’t ever want my dollars being forced from me to kill the unborn in the third world as the Europeans do. Thank you Very Much!
Yeah that is right I read somewhere else the US will give more then the whole world together, Americans are the most generous people in the world. Sorry will never say that of my own country I don´t like bragging.

My Euro´s weren´t forced to give for this charity, everybody gives voluntairly.

Emmy

40.png
Emmy:
Yeah that is right I read somewhere else the US will give more then the whole world together, Americans are the most generous people in the world. Sorry will never say that of my own country I don´t like bragging.

My Euro´s weren´t forced to give for this charity, everybody gives voluntairly.

Emmy
Good for you Emmy. Now if you ever learn to get that chip off your shoulder, you might even find something in common with the rest of the world. US included. 🙂

40.png
Marie:
Good for you Emmy. Now if you ever learn to get that chip off your shoulder, you might even find something in common with the rest of the world. US included. 🙂
Sorry don´t know the expression chip off my shoulder.
And I know the rest of the world gives voluntairly too.Only I will never brag: We are the best… We are the most this… we are the most that… will leave that up to you guys. I think being more humble wouldn´t do any harm.

Emmy

Dear Emmy,

From GoEnglish.com

A person who has “a chip on his shoulder” is angry because of some thing that happened in the past. Example: “He lost his game this morning, and now he has a chip on his shoulder.” It is easy for a person to get in a fight when he has a chip on his shoulder, because he is already angry about something else. Example: “Watch out for that guy, he’s got a chip on his shoulder.” To start a fight, men used to put chips of wood on their shoulder and challenge others to “try to knock it off”. Example: “What’s bothering that guy?” Reply: “Nothing. He’s just got a chip on the shoulder.” Example: “Tom had a tough time growing up, so he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder.” You can use the definite article (“the”) which sounds more general (“a chip on the shoulder”), but more often people use the personal pronoun (“his”, “her”, “their”) to say that that specific person has “a chip on his (her, their) shoulder.”

40.png
WhiteDove:
Dear Emmy,

From GoEnglish.com

A person who has “a chip on his shoulder” is angry because of some thing that happened in the past. Example: “He lost his game this morning, and now he has a chip on his shoulder.” It is easy for a person to get in a fight when he has a chip on his shoulder, because he is already angry about something else. Example: “Watch out for that guy, he’s got a chip on his shoulder.” To start a fight, men used to put chips of wood on their shoulder and challenge others to “try to knock it off”. Example: “What’s bothering that guy?” Reply: “Nothing. He’s just got a chip on the shoulder.” Example: “Tom had a tough time growing up, so he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder.” You can use the definite article (“the”) which sounds more general (“a chip on the shoulder”), but more often people use the personal pronoun (“his”, “her”, “their”) to say that that specific person has “a chip on his (her, their) shoulder.”
Well I am not angry about something don´t worry…

Emmy

Dear Emmy,
Hey, no offense, but I’ve read a number of your posts and you do sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Americans. I don’t know if it’s based on some of the extreme and uncharitable folks here, or some other negative experience, or just a general cultural bias, but it comes across loud and clear to me. Something you might want to consider. We all have our prejudices, you know…

40.png
WhiteDove:
Dear Emmy,
Hey, no offense, but I’ve read a number of your posts and you do sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about Americans. I don’t know if it’s based on some of the extreme and uncharitable folks here, or some other negative experience, or just a general cultural bias, but it comes across loud and clear to me. Something you might want to consider. We all have our prejudices, you know…
Dear White Dove,

No real extreme experience here but some negative sure.
But this was all about bragging and I don´t think that is real good who ever it does.

Emmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back