Evolution and Creationism

• Thread starter Thread starter DictatorCzar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both diamonds and coal are made of carbon atoms. Do they have the same essence or different essences.
They are both made out of carbon atoms but they clearly have a real distinction and are not identical in the nature they express. One has the essence of a diamond and one has the essence of coal.

Last edited:
The earth is still 4.5 billion years old and non-avian dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago.
There’s no 4.5 billion years, ‘Time’ is an experience by consciousness and an earth year is a reference by a conscious observer on earth.

There’s no 4.5 billion years, ‘Time’ is an experience by consciousness and an earth year is a reference by a conscious observer on earth.
That’s a very relativistic statement. I suggest studying Thomistic Metaphysics.

The closest each of us has to a creator is our own previous lives and the accumulated karma from those lives
That sounds like your own doctrine. The Magisterium of the Catholic Church has developed and refined its doctrines across 21 centuries and hundreds of millions have subscribed to them at some level. While all humans on earth enjoy a certain degree of freedom and autonomy, we don’t get to create our own truth.

Also, do you consider yourself to part of god / the gods and part of the Creator-godhead?

Similar to the beer commercial…“With great autonomy and freedom comes great responsibility.”

That’s a very relativistic statement. I suggest studying Thomistic Metaphysics.
Correct, we define what time is and time doesn’t define us.

If life was on Jupiter which takes 12 earth years to revolve around the sun once, what we would be experiencing as ‘passage of time’ would be very different. This tells us that it is not the planet or clock or the observation that is time, but time is our own experience.

Last edited:
What is the essence of those objects? Are they essentially firewood? Are they essentially holy images? Or are humans merely projecting their own internal ideas onto those external objects?
New thread needed. In brief:

The essence of the statue is found in its formal cause: the shape of Buddha.
The material cause is wood. The wood is accidental, could have been bronze and would still be the shape of Buddha.
The efficient cause is the artisan. Also accidental.
The final cause is to honor Buddha or warm the temple. Therefore, accidental in your example.

The gap between mind and reality (which I suspect is your point) is acknowledged in western philosophy, epitomized by Descartes.

I do not, as Descartes thought, have to infer my existence from the fact that I am aware of myself thinking. I perceive it directly, just as I perceive directly the existence of all the physical objects that surround me. If there is any doubt at all about the truth of such judgments, it is the merest shadow of doubt about whether I am suffering a hallucination rather than actually perceiving.

Empiricism, essential to technological advance, could not and, probably did not, flourish in the east because of this common sense fact.

Last edited:
You were disputing it. Freddy was discussing small microevolutionary changes in animals’ coats. You said: “Nothing like that is happening now in the real world.” I pointed out that you were wrong, with an obvious example.

I am happy that you recognise your error.
He said: If a genetic glitch happens to give one animal a slightly thicker coat and it gets warmer then he’s at a disadvantage

I dispute that ,because there is no animal living today that is not fit for its environment .

Last edited:
They are both made out of carbon atoms but they clearly have a real distinction and are not identical in the nature they express. One has the essence of a diamond and one has the essence of coal.
So, compression and heat can change Essences, since compression and heat can change carbon-as-coal to carbon-as-diamond, hence changing its Essence. How can Accidents, such as compression and heat change an Essence?

That sounds like your own doctrine.
It is not. It is standard Buddhist doctrine and very similar to Hindu ideas on Karma as well. Those ideas have been developed in India for longer than the Catholic Church has been developing its ideas.

I perceive it directly, just as I perceive directly the existence of all the physical objects that surround me.
You do not perceive directly. Light reflects off an object. The light enters your eye and is converted into electrical nerve impulses. Those impulses arrive at your brain which matches the incoming pattern of electrical impulses to its set of stored patterns and assigns what you are seeing to the matching pattern: “tree”.

This process is not perfect; a mirage matches the pattern “water”. The philosophical Essence/Substance is merely a reification of those internal patterns in our brains.

Sometimes our internal patterns are wrong. An arachnophobe has fear attached to the ‘spider’ pattern, which is an error.

The internal pattern and the external object are different. It is an error to project the one onto the other.

You do not perceive directly. Light reflects off an object. The light enters your eye and is converted into electrical nerve impulses. Those impulses arrive at your brain which matches the incoming pattern of electrical impulses to its set of stored patterns and assigns what you are seeing to the matching pattern: “tree”.
New thread, please.

And how do you know that the “stored patterns” are really “trees”? How do you know the thing still exists when you aren’t looking at it?

This extreme skepticism of the empirical method results in extreme rationalism. But it appears, your view of the rational is just as skeptical, i.e., a thing can be and not be at the same place and time. How could one get to the moon and back with such a philosophy?

I dispute that ,because there is no animal living today that is not fit for its environment .
Environments are changing. While all organisms are fit, there is room for improvements in fitness to match the changing environment, as with my example of genetic resistance to COVID-19. That is a recent change to the environment and opens up a way for the human genome to be improved to match the new change.

New thread, please.

And how do you know that the “stored patterns” are really “trees”? How do you know the thing still exists when you aren’t looking at it?
A new thread would be a good idea. It would be better if you asked your question on that new thread rather than on this one.

@buffalo, I’m curious as to how ID hypothesis explains vestigial organs, pseudo genes and goosebumps. Why do we have gills at a point in our fetal development? Why are babies sometimes born with a tail…a whale with a leg (interior or exterior), useless wisdom teeth often causing severe problems? How does ID explain these?

I’m curious as to how ID hypothesis explains vestigial organs, pseudo genes and goosebumps. Why do we have gills at a point in our fetal development? Why are babies sometimes born with a tail…a whale with a leg (interior or exterior), useless wisdom teeth often causing severe problems? How does ID explain these?
These vestigial features have been debunked. You can do a search on it for more info.

Can you explain how they’ve been debunked? I’m not talking about the appendix.

How do you debunk a tail? Useless wisdom teeth? Legs on whales? Gills in embryos? Goosebumps? Preauricular sinus of the ear?

You can pick just one to start.

Of course, there were several organs that were originally thought to be vestigial until we learned otherwise. This includes the appendix. There are many more that are vestigial, however. These are easily explained from an evolutionary perspective but I’ve not heard any discussion from ID…other than to bring up the appendix which was resolved years ago.

I gave a small list…can you explain any one of them from an ID perspective that explains how design is a factor?

Edit to add… was resolved years ago. By scientists, not ID proponents.

Last edited:
Of course, there were several organs that were originally thought to be vestigial until we learned otherwise. This includes the appendix.
So lets look at some others.

Are All Our Organs Vital?​

Even the appendix and tonsils are less expendable than we thought

Last edited:
I’m not interested in the ones that weren’t later found to not be vestigial. The thalamus, hypothalamus and pineal gland were all thought vestigial until scientists learned of hormone regulations.

I want you to explain. I’m on an iPad with pop up blockers so often links either won’t load or are painfully problematic.

Besides, finding out an organ has uses as we learn more isn’t a problem for me. Try explaining the uselessness of wisdom teeth or why we have a tail during embryonic development that is usually reabsorbed…except in cases where it doesn’t and the baby is born with a tail? Humans don’t have tails, correct? So why would we develop then reabsorb it during development? The same with whale legs! Why do we have a behavioral process of raising the hairs on our bodies when we have little to no hair to raise? How about having completely inactive genes, called pseudogenes, that code for vitamin C production yet are completely inactive in humans (and guinea pigs) so we are required to get it our diet or develop scurvy. Why design the genes then make them inactive when they are needed by us?

If you could explain any of those, I’d appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back