Ex-Mormon here. I have stopped studying Catholicism for now

• Thread starter Thread starter brigidsalem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps, but it wasn’t discussed in any of the meetings, firesides, etc ., when I was Mormon, and living in Provo for 15 years, we were always having talks by the GAs at devotionals, firesides, stake conference.
Perhaps a different vocabulary was used, but the topics (which I can only guess) that were discussed at that time, such as, the Restoration, the Atonement, keeping the commandments, covenants, baptism, temple work, magnifying your calling, serving others, provident living, prayer, tithes and offerings, fasting, missionary work, the Priesthood, scripture study, the gathering of Israel, etc., are all about Grace.

Catholicism actually teaches that there are different levels of Heaven, and that at the top level people experience a process called Deification (called Theosis in Eastern Orthodoxy). These are ancient Christian teachings, but Protestants had thrown them away. Thus they were unknown to Joseph Smith until he become friendly with some Catholics in Nauvoo. After he died, they discovered Catholic literature in his library.
FYI…I think it best to refer to the Catechism on this one. It is CCC 460. It is below. “Making men gods” is certainly current Catholic teaching. No need to look to ancient sources. Occasionally you’ll get priest talking about it on a weekday mass or a holy day of obligation mass that is sparsely attended. Definitely not Catholicism 101… Also, this does not contradict anything about the Trinity. There is only one God.

Eastern Rite Catholic churches are more likely to talk about this as I understand. It is a beautiful and interesting belief. Maybe find and Eastern Rite Catholic to talk to about this…

Perhaps Joseph Smith (or Brigham Young) poorly understood some Catholic beliefs to come up their Polytheistic beliefs. I’ve heard some argue this Polytheism in the LDS church is Brigham Young’s doing rather than Joseph Smith’s doing…perhaps it is lost to history.
460 The Word became flesh to make us " partakers of the divine nature ":“For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God.” “For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.” “The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods.”

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mormons are trying to be more like Evangelicals, so they can become accepted. Thus, the word grace is now in their vocabulary.
Don’t know what their intent is, but yes, the use of the word grace does seem to have entered into their vocabulary. But are they talking about in their every day lives? In their Sunday meetings? In the temple, which is the summit and goal of their earthly lives?

And what do they mean by grace?

I hope this helps…
Gazelam, you ignored my previous posts.

I asked if you are asking us to trust the chair of Joseph Smith versus the chair of St. Peter.
Any and all of what you are doing here- all of your intelligently argued posts- rest on whose authority you believe.

You also ignored my post about my mormon testimony, and subsequent Christian, then Catholic testimony. Isn’t a ‘burning in the heart’ proof the Book of Mormon is true?

I actually do want answers, because I am a person who has an open mind to the truth. I just gave up 20 years of wonderful Protestant Church experiences because I came to understand the authority of the chair of St. Peter.

Now you, who appear to be acting as a Mormon missionary on CAF, urge me to trust the chair of Joseph Smith. Isn’t that what it boils down to?

Last edited:
Isn’t a ‘burning in the heart’ proof the Book of Mormon is true?
If the burning in the heart actually meant anything then most if not all churches are true. Don’t most people feel that burning when they are moved? I had a burning in my heart when I saw Les Miserables. Did that make it true?

Last edited:
Except that in my case, it was during my actual reading of the BOM. With accompanying dream of affirmation. It was real.
There is unquestionably spiritual power in Mormonism. My question is what is that power under the authority of?
If I was a Catholic proselytizing on a Mormon site, I’d have no problem saying:
The authority of Joseph Smith is not true. The truth is found in the unbroken chain of authority from Jesus Christ through the chair of Peter.

That’s what Catholicism is based on! Without that, it’s just another denomination.

Last edited:
One of the things I’m having trouble with is doctrines concerning Mary and Marian devotions. I have found that I like saying the Rosary, but all of my life (I was raised Protestant so I heard it from them as well as from Mormons) I have been taught that the Catholic Mary is patterned after Isis, and Catholics are engaging in goddess worship. That the Saints are simply replacing old pagan gods and godesses. I know now that this is not true, but I still have fears that communicating with Mary and the Saints is wrong. I was happy to learn, however, that the Mass is focused on Jesus Christ. I saw that every time that I visited Mass.
Try to think of Mary as the first Christian! The best example of a mother we have, the best example of a follower of Christ that we have.

We don’t worship her, we ask for her intercession like we ask friends to pray for us.

Bear in mind, most anti-catholics are afraid of what they THINK the catholic church teaches, because they don’t take the time to find out what the catholic church actually teaches.

I left at around the time the Grace conversation was getting started. I think they were struggling to include it in Mormonism and still trying to figure out what it is.

Yes, the Church reaffirms Jesus, that those who reject the Gospel concerning Him condemn themselves.

The Church speaks differently concerning denominational acceptance/rejection.

This is logical because so much variations exist among Christian Churches who profess and practice valid Baptism and belief in the core Gospel and creeds.

There is a danger in believing that all denominations are equally following Jesus. And there is danger in believing certain denominations are all evil.

I believe the Catholic Church is not a denomination, but more like the denominator.

The people who are members of the denominator are a mixed bag. In some ways, it’s a good thing. In matters of doctrine, it’s a terrible phenomenon.

Last edited:
OP, I believe the significance to “become Catholic” is not much different for those who are visible members of the Catholic Church.

What I mean, is a “non-Catholic” Christian (by valid belief and Baptism) is Catholic in part, and may be more “Catholic” than many members of the Catholic Church!

Many members know and reject various Catholic Teachings, yet remain among us and claim to be believing Catholics.

I would rather be a member of a Protestant/non-denom and have more common beliefs with the Catholic Church, than to be a Catholic member and have less common beliefs with the Church.

Visible membership does not guarantee a person is accepting Jesus more than any given non-Catholic Christian.

Last edited:
Faith is necessary for salvation. The desire to receive Baptism is necessary for those who believe in the Gospel.

And Eucharist is necessary for those who desire to remain in Him.

Knowing His true Eucharist means striving to follow Him, and learning where His Eucharist exists. The wounds within the Catholic Church prevent some from knowing where His true Eucharist exists.

Last edited:
May God bless you on your way.

God is all about truth. If you honestly seek truth you already belong to God. No need for fear my friend.

Thank you. I am so glad to read this.
Yesterday’s reading was the story of the Samaritan woman at the well with Jesus. Your attitude reminds me of hers.
I hope you know that God’s grace is flowing in your searching heart. He is so good. Keep trusting in His goodness. Ask: why would Jesus bother with one Samaritan woman at a well? She was insignificant. She was misinformed. She was either very sinful or a victim of men’s sins. And yet, here is God incarnate speaking such beautiful, hopeful, intimate things to her.
That’s exactly what He is like for those who are willing to seek Him.

Words from the homily: God had already placed the gift of faith in her, and she eagerly responded!

Please check out the video “The Bible vs Joseph Smith” on YouTube. Very interesting, it may help you come back.

I’m not sure if asked or if its rude to ask, but have you decided what church you will be attending? If it’s too personal I understand.

Do not become catholic because of others, Christ should be the reason for you to become catholic.

Why I say this?

Imagine! In your family, you have brothers and sisters, and one of them begins to say to you that the father doesn’t love you and because of this you decide to go away. This is unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back