Explaining Wrongs of Contraception to Non-Catholics

• Thread starter Thread starter ProLifeAction
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ProLifeAction

I often have trouble explaining why contraception is wrong to people in the secular world. Here’s how I explain it to them…
  1. First, I tell them to read the “Sin Of Onan” in Genesis.
  2. I tell them there are 2 variables in sex… A. Self Gratification & B. Openess to Life. God’s Natural Law has both variables included in one action. If God wanted one of these variables to exist without the other he would of created a second action. Who are we to question God’s Will?
Last, those who support Contraception must also support other forms of sexual “self gratification” without being “open to life” — such as Homosexuality (man & man), Self Mastery (man & himself) , Beastiality (man & animal) & Pedifilia (man & boy).
  1. I also think it is wrong to tell your spouse he/she has to ALTER their state in order for you to love them. These are just my thoughts.
Does anyone else have other ideas trying to explain why contraception is wrong to secular people??

There is a philosophy teacher at my college who has this 2 dollar bill framed and sitting on his desk for anyone who can form an argument as to why contraception is ok while beastiality is wrong. They have to be able to refute any questions he throughs in and they can use any argument they want. Liberal, Materialistic, humanistic, natural law, seculr, religious…anything. The key is that they can take the 2 dollar bill when they think that they have proved this, not him, or anyone else.

In all his years of teaching, he is in his late 50’s, no one has taken that 2 dollar bill, and it isn’t for want of trying.

This may require a certain level of spirtual belief but:

A third reason for the conjugal act is to bring the couple together as one - for each to lovingly and completely give themselves to each other. From the physical standpoint, this is not possible while using contraception. Obviously, some methods actually keep the sperm from entering the womans body, a very obvious holding back. Others, like the pill, keep you from giving everything to your spouse because the word “everything” includes the possibility of what could be a natural result of the act. So again you are holding back. On a spiritual level, saying, “I’ll give myself to you - mostly” is an offense. Only a total self giving can bring about a healthy relationship. If you hold things back, you are not really one, unified.

3 other reasons:
  1. When used properly Natural Family Planning is as effective as the Pill. Most people think it is highly unreliable. It is definitely more reliable than any of the barrier methods.
  2. NFP has many benefits. Although the communication that is required is difficult, it results in stronger marriages. The % of people who use NFP and get divorces is about 3%. They may like those odds.
  3. The pill has been linked to breast cancer. There are also a host of other medical side effects that you have to consider when using hormones. I feel such a freedom knowing I never had to worry about side effects.

I often ask them why they give away the gift that the angels in heaven do not have the ablity to work with our Father in Heaven in the act of creation.

The term “contra-ception” is used by Pro-Aborts, the Secular Media & Academia in a way to deceive the public in many cases. For instance “contra-ception” means to prevent conception. However the Secular Society terms the Pill, Norplant, the Morning After Pill and other forms of so-called birth control under the disguise of “contra-ception”.

In the types of birth control stated above really are not “contraception” but rather “chemical abortion”. In these cases fertilization of the egg & sperm (embryo) has already taken place but 7-10 days later these birth control methods prevent the embryo from attaching to the wall of the uterus. Therefore, “conception” has already taken place at the time of fertilization but the birth control method causes a “chemical abortion.” Be careful what the secular media is trying to sell. They are just trying to make a buck while selling your soul down the drain.

illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=4011

all.org/a2z-c.htm

I have to say something and try to do it respectfully. The morning after pill does not produce a “chemical abortion” as was stated above. It merely inhibits the egg from being released. If there is no egg when the sperm makes it’s way up the fallopian tube there can be no pregnancy. Please get this difference right! thanks

You are only half right. The Morning after pill is supposed to prevent ovulation, but if ovulation has occurred it will prevent implantation of a fertilized embryo (very small new person).

From womenshealth.org/a/morning_after_pill_what_is.htm
The morning after pill is believed to work for several reasons. Primarily it functions by stimulating the uterine lining to slough off, either carrying the egg with it, or changing the uterine wall so that the egg cannot attach itself. It may also prevent ovulation, so that an egg is not released, (in much the same way as lower doses of estrogen and progestin do in birth control pills).

EmilyMarie,

No, you are wrong on the Morning After Pill. Please see #3

How do emergency contraception/morning-after pills work?

The emergency contraceptive/morning-after pill has three possible ways in which it can work:

1. *]Ovulation is inhibited, meaning the egg will not be released;
    *]The normal menstrual cycle is altered, delaying ovulation; or
    *]It can irritate the lining of the uterus so that if the first and second actions fail, and the woman does become pregnant, the tiny baby boy or girl will die before he or she can actually attach to the lining of the uterus.

In other words, if the third action occurs, her body rejects the tiny baby and he or she will die. This is called a chemical abortion.

Abortion is an act of direct killing that takes the life of a tiny human being-a life that begins at fertilization.

all.org/a2z-c.htm

all untrue you closed minded people… check the radio for Loveline im not coming back because you people are CLOSED MINDED all of what you say is untrue… It does not there are no studies to hold that up medically.

From Planned Parenthood plannedparenthood.org/library/BIRTHCONTROL/EmergContra.htm

“EC prevents pregnancy by stopping ovulation, fertilization, or implantation.”

Even though they CLAIM this is not an abortion only a fertilized egg will implant. If conception has not occurred there will be NO implantation to prevent. It is an early abortion. I am sorry you think that makes us all closed minded, if you can find anything that says “EC” won’t prevent implantation then I would read it, but you won’t.

EmilyMarie,

I know the TRUTH at times can be hard to swallow but we are just giving you the facts.

If you have further questions or want to research the library on Pro-Life/Abortion/Contraception issues, the #1 Website to go to is the following…

ewtn.com/vexperts/conference.htm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention a few resources on the topic that might be helpful to non-Catholics, particularly Protestants:

Open Embrace, by Sam and Bethany Torode

A young Protestant couple explores the effects of contraception on marrried love. They offer a stirring testimony to the power of love when it is unhindered by reservations.

The Bible and Birth Control, by Charles D. Provan

The premier resource for the Protestant anti-contraception movement. Examines all the Biblical bases for refusing contraception, and also teachings of Martin Luther, John Calvin, Cotton Mather, and others. Contraception is shown to be strongly against God’s plan for family life.

*Does The Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions?, *by Randy Alcorn

From a Bible-oriented Christian background and wide ranging knowledge of the subject, the author examines this topic with logic and honesty. He concludes that there is very strong evidence that contraceptive pills cause abortions and there is NO evidence that they do not. Concluding that it can never be ethical for a Christian to use this sort of contraceptive, he goes on to discuss a number of excuses used by doctors and couples who wish to continue prescribing or using the Pill. Especially powerful are his appendices of Biblical and scientific reasons for avoiding this sort of abortion.

“From medical textbooks and pharmacy references to statements from the Pill-manufacturers themselves, this book proves the abortion causing action of birth control pills. This book should be read by everyone interested in knowing the truth.” – Paul L. Hayes, MD Board Certified Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Birth Control and Christian Discipleship, by John F. Kippley

Dr. Kippley reviews how all Christian churches strongly condemned contraception up to 1930, but many began accepting it after that, leading to the disastrous sexual revolution. He points out that there is still a clear path for churches to reorient and reject this evil.

Contraception: Why Not? (Video), by Janet E. Smith, Ph.D.

This powerful presentation challenges America to rethink its contraceptive mindset. It covers, in 74 minutes, the blessings of having children, the harms of contraception, and the benefits of Natural Family Planning.

All of these resources are available from One More Soul at www.omsoul.com.

God bless!

Cindy

40.png
EmilyMarie:
all untrue you closed minded people… check the radio for Loveline
Loveline for all that don’t know is a late night talk show that discusses all things pertaining to sex. Most of us would be appalled and shocked at the things they discuss as if they are just normal facets of being human - it’s really pretty disgusting and totally immoral.

Pray for EmilyMarie, especially since she apparently listens to this show.

Hello, Im so embarrassed! Yesterday when I was reading thru this forum I had to leave it to chase my 3 year old daughter thru the house. She decided that the cat needed a bath using my shampoo. My neighbor was over and decided to pose as me. I have lots of trouble with this neighbor whom I try very much to influence to be a good person. {She thinks my interest in things Catholic are silly) Anyway, she posted as me, and when I opened the site just now I was appalled. Please don’t think that I am like that! Anyway, Im not quite Catholic Im just interested! I would love it if someone would email me and tell me more about the faith. Im a single mother and it does get lonely. Love and Peace, Suzanne aka EmilyMarie

PS. Emily Marie is my daughters name. I guess my name was taken when I registered.

I think it was C.S.Lewis who took this approach.

Artificial Birth control is like the Person who stuffs themselves full of food then puts their finger down their throat to vomit it up again. They wish to have the pleasure of the meal without the result.

To separate the pleasure from Procreative act is whats sinful.

Thats my paraphrase of what he was trying to say.

40.png
EmilyMarie:
Anyway, Im not quite Catholic Im just interested! I would love it if someone would email me and tell me more about the faith. Im a single mother and it does get lonely. Love and Peace, Suzanne aka EmilyMarie
Welcome to these forums!! And I know I as well as others am happy that you are considering the Church. There are plenty of good resources like:
catholic.com/ - the best apologetic source, especially these forums!! 👍
catholicity.com/ - offers free tapes and has links to other great resources

Have you tried checking out a local Catholic church? I found one that looks to be a good faithful place:
stjoevan.org/

Good luck and email if you wish! My contact info is listed.

40.png
BryanW:
I think it was C.S.Lewis who took this approach.

Artificial Birth control is like the Person who stuffs themselves full of food then puts their finger down their throat to vomit it up again. They wish to have the pleasure of the meal without the result.

I heard this on Relevant Radio. It is a great analogy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back