Facebook and Breast Cancer

  • Thread starter Thread starter canadianguy1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re talking about it right now in a sense. There are debates going on all over the country now, too, about this. I’d say, yes, it got people talking about breast cancer. It’s a reminder for women to do their check ups. At least for me, when I hear stuff like this, I always remember “Oh yea, my monthly checkups!”

So for me, in my mind, it was a good, fun way to help women remember,
Well if it was actually a reminder for you, that’s good. I still maintain that a simple “hey- remember to get your check-ups!” would have worked better. 😛
 
I agree with the OP… and I am also weary of facebook statuses becoming advertising. I refused to participate.
 
Well if it was actually a reminder for you, that’s good. I still maintain that a simple “hey- remember to get your check-ups!” would have worked better. 😛
Yes nothing beats clarity. For those of you who think that this is harmless or good, I would like your opinion on another popular fad with regard to breast cancer. Its a slogan that says

Save 2nd base.

Is this facebook thing like that or is the above slogan worse?
 
Yes nothing beats clarity. For those of you who think that this is harmless or good, I would like your opinion on another popular fad with regard to breast cancer. Its a slogan that says

Save 2nd base.

Is this facebook thing like that or is the above slogan worse?
well what is save 2nd base?
 
I agree that it is silly, but harmless. It is a good reminder though. I know I need to schedule a mammogram, which is something I might try to forget. And I am fine with “Save Second Base”. I appreciate a little humor.
 
well what is save 2nd base?
okay never mind. It is a little tacky. I come from a family where breast caner has taken a few members. I really don’t see how these silly slogans help anything. I don’t participate in them, it wont help bring back those I love and it doesn’t remind me to go to the dr.
 
I’m wondering now how many people who’ve never gone on facebook and had no idea this was even going on are now thinking, “Hey! They’re talking about women’s undergarments on facebook!” and decide to check it out… :rolleyes:
 
I saw the colors posted and had no clue. My SIL let me know what it was about. I happily posted my color. 😉 I remembered to do my self-check. I sat for a few minutes and thought about a friend who died a few years ago from this scourge and said a prayer for her. And it was a nice reminder to send a check to the American Cancer Society.

It was a girl thing among many of us who have lost friends to this and dealt with our own health issues. Kind of a “we’re looking out for each other” solidarity.

And seriously… posting bra colors as sexual harrassment? So many fashions inadvertently advertise that color by a straying strap that it’s really not classified information.

Lighten up, world. Those of us who have gone in multiple times for biopsies not knowing if we were going to come out of surgery with life-ending news are looking at a bigger grimmer picture and just reminding those women we love to keep their own health in mind, since so many of us wives, mothers, daughters and caregivers seem to put that last in line after other people’s needs…

😉
 
As a new nursing student, these kinds of campaigns frustrate me just a bit. If they remind some women to get their regular mammogram or whatever, that’s great! But do you have any idea how many diseases there are out there? How many different kinds of cancer? How many different kinds of genetic diseases? how about chronic pain? Mental disorders? There are a million and one different organizations trying to ‘raise awareness’ of one disease or another, and there are twice as many that aren’t talked about at all. And yet, for each person who has a medical problem, that disease or disorder becomes their whole world, they don’t care if some one posted their bra colour on Facebook or not, cause it doesn’t help them end their pain. I’m not trying to belittle breast cancer, for anyone who has it, it’s terrible. But I guess I feel more helpless than anything every time I see a new ‘cause’ that needs to be promoted, because I feel sorry for all those people who’s causes are NOT talked about. And it would be humanly impossible for us to support every cause, so what can you do? I can’t even post something like ‘I support any medical research that helps people’ because some smart-alec would pop up and say ‘so you support abortion now, do you?’ >.< Grah!
is a frustrated pbeast
 
Recently for those of us that have a Facebook account, might have noticed how some of our female “friends” So are they friends, or not? would post a color as their new status line. This color is to signify the color of the bra she would be wearing for breast cancer awareness. **In some cases they indicate that they will wear no bra!! **Funny, none of MY friends (or “friends”) did this…

Personally speaking, I can’t see why this is done. First off posting the color of your bra will NOT stop breast cancer. Secondly as far as “solidarity” with those who have/had breast cancer, I can’t see how it would help. You want to help defeat breast cancer, raise money for good research, speak about the less than popular ways it can be spread (abortion).

But what really irks me about this is they are indirectly promoting sexual harassment. If I were to ask a lady what color of bra they are wearing, you can imagine what kind of a response I get. They post this in a PUBLIC forum (all Internet is public IMHO).
Yeah, exactly, like I stated in another post… thanks for getting the word out!
 
As a new nursing student, these kinds of campaigns frustrate me just a bit. If they remind some women to get their regular mammogram or whatever, that’s great! But do you have any idea how many diseases there are out there? How many different kinds of cancer? How many different kinds of genetic diseases? how about chronic pain? Mental disorders? There are a million and one different organizations trying to ‘raise awareness’ of one disease or another, and there are twice as many that aren’t talked about at all. And yet, for each person who has a medical problem, that disease or disorder becomes their whole world, they don’t care if some one posted their bra colour on Facebook or not, cause it doesn’t help them end their pain. I’m not trying to belittle breast cancer, for anyone who has it, it’s terrible. But I guess I feel more helpless than anything every time I see a new ‘cause’ that needs to be promoted, because I feel sorry for all those people who’s causes are NOT talked about. And it would be humanly impossible for us to support every cause, so what can you do? I can’t even post something like ‘I support any medical research that helps people’ because some smart-alec would pop up and say ‘so you support abortion now, do you?’ >.< Grah!
is a frustrated pbeast
I have to agree.

And is it me or is seemingly every moth breast cancer awareness month??? I’m not making light of it, my grandmother and aunts have had it so it’s in the family, I’m not saying it’s nothing to be concerned about, but it seems to be the big money and big business cause du jour. Also, when the main researcher that promotes BCA is ‘in bed’ with PP and won’t say what research has, that there is a link between abortion and BC, then I have to wonder.

I posted my color, I didn’t think it was such a big deal. I certainly didn’t think it would heIp in the fight for breast cancer cure. I actually thought it was just between my few friends not a facebook wide thing. 🤷
 
I thought it was funny, harmless and totally optional. Compared to some of the status posting I see on FB from my 20-something neices/nephews and their friends… the word “Pink” is so completly benign.

No pun intended.
 
I agree with the OP… and I am also weary of facebook statuses becoming advertising. I refused to participate.
What were these statuses advertising?:confused: I don’t think anyone was selling their bras. LOL
 
Yes nothing beats clarity. For those of you who think that this is harmless or good, I would like your opinion on another popular fad with regard to breast cancer. Its a slogan that says

Save 2nd base.

Is this facebook thing like that or is the above slogan worse?
Neither is bad.

Personally I got my godson this shirt.
 
Well if it was actually a reminder for you, that’s good. I still maintain that a simple “hey- remember to get your check-ups!” would have worked better. 😛
That would hardly have gotten worldwide attention and people talking.
 
Yes nothing beats clarity. For those of you who think that this is harmless or good, I would like your opinion on another popular fad with regard to breast cancer. Its a slogan that says

Save 2nd base.

Is this facebook thing like that or is the above slogan worse?
In the right company, I think the Save 2nd base is very funny.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top