S
sonichuiscool
Guest
That disunity argument is a myth. If you visit everything from an Anglican Church, to a Pentecostal, to an Evangelical, to a Baptist, to a Quaker, AOG, Lutheran, non-denominational, etc. you will see that they differ on peripheral issues and are united in the declaration that Jesus is Lord and died for humanity.Really? How do you explain the disunity amongst most Christians, namely, the Protestant Churches.
Now, you could go into how we know essential from non-essential doctrine, and like your decision to follow the guidance of the Catholic Church, we believe that it is a gift from the Holy Spirit. We have Scripture, you have Scripture + Tradition.
Even though our leaders are not hierarchical, they still manage to maintain better standards of orthodoxy than the bishops out of what I would argue is sensitivity to the Spirit’s call. This isn’t boasting, but its what i’ve personally experienced having attended Catholic institutions for the greater part of my life.
This is curious to me. Doesn’t being a Christian have foremost to do with faith - where and in whom you place it? If someone says they believe in Christ as Lord and Savior, but I find them sleeping around, I’d consider them perhaps a bad Christian or indeed an unrepentant Christian but a Christian nonetheless.
Good points here, although I won’t go into a digression about maintaining church unity among Protestants! All I am saying is that there is much room in the fold.Likewise I do not get the Evolution vs. Creation debate, whether we look solely at Scripture or otherwise. To me, they are two different questions using two different modes of inquiry to research. The former asks “How”, the latter “Why”. Science cannot tell us our identity in Christ, and the Bible - not being a textbook of biology - cannot tell us why there are flightless cormorants on islands in the Pacific. It is neither the intention of biology to describe God nor of theology to describe genetics any more than you should use either to change the oil on your 1997 Honda Civic.
I see liberal as approaching scripture with an antirealist postmodern hermeneutic (i.e. the Bible is what we personally make of it), a tendency to minimize or failure to condemn sin, refusal to tackle hard issues in the Christian life, a tendency to neglect theology in favor of feelings, isolation of Jesus and a tendency to preach about being a good person, and failure to provide meaningfully for the good of congregants (i.e. no fellowship).What passes for liberal in your mind, with your background distinct from mine, I might not consider the same. Specifics might be off topic in this thread, but if conversation slows here, please share.
If anything ceases to be completely rooted in Jesus, it is unChristian, at least in my opinion. Although the tendency is subtle, I have noted it in apologists on EWTN (yes, I have watched it!) and elsewhere in Catholic teaching. Don’t get me wrong, many Catholics are incredibly devoted to Jesus, but on a parish to parish level, and among greater institutions of higher learning, the devotion appears to be lacking.