FBI memo reports Guantanamo guards flushing Koran

  • Thread starter Thread starter ybeayf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if that is true – I’m not arguing either way – I would still describe it as a secular religion, simply because it is secular (“worldly”), irrespective of the other religious beliefs of those who hold to it.
Hmmmm.

Secularists view freedom and it’s orgins and meaning differently. Freedom is state-granted, and comes from people’s choices.

Religionists (Judeo-Christians at least) see freedom as GOD-granted, and the yearning to be free as stamped on our hearts even before we knew we had a heart.
 
40.png
Shoshana:
There is uglines in war. Sometimes we act like those we are waring with…even if we are supposed to have Christian morals. The risk of fighting evil is the fat chance of becoming contaminated. :bigyikes:

These allegations are jut but a murmur of what happened at Guatonomo Bay. Only one person was accused of these sexaul explicit acts. Even to the point of making the prisoners pretend to have fellatio with each other. Putrid behaviour. :banghead:

And many on this board excused these fellas and their ilke. I just wonder if Christ would accept these excuses! :hmmm:

Blessings,
Shoshana
NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE “excused those fellas and their ilk”. :confused:
 
40.png
jlw:
NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE “excused those fellas and their ilk”. :confused:
Code:
Only one paid a price…none others…why were there no others to be outraged at all of this??? :banghead:

She must’ve been responisble for everything…I see. :whacky:

And you were protecting them until gilliam brought up links to prove of the fellatio acts…i do not forget so easily…and then you disappeared…case closed…
 
40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
Only one paid a price…none others…why were there no others to be outraged at all of this??? :banghead:

She must’ve been responisble for everything…I see. :whacky:

And you were protecting them until gilliam brought up links to prove of the fellatio acts…i do not forget so easily…and then you disappeared…case closed…
Very outraged, disgusted, disappointed and embarrased.

99.99999% of the armed forces are not like this either. You focus all your emotional outrage on the .000001 and I’ll continue focusing on the task at hand, winning a war with fanatical bloodthirsty wacko-jobs that kill while saying “God is great!”.
 
40.png
jlw:
Very outraged, disgusted, disappointed and embarrased.

99.99999% of the armed forces are not like this either. You focus all your emotional outrage on the .000001 and I’ll continue focusing on the task at hand, winning a war with fanatical bloodthirsty wacko-jobs that kill while saying “God is great!”.
Code:
You are probably right that most are not like this…and my outrage has nothing to do with this. I am just trying to say that if you fight evil, one can easily be tainted with evil. This is a spiritual fact!

And what do we say when we kill? God is good? 😃
 
40.png
jlw:
NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE “excused those fellas and their ilk”. :confused:
Not one person has excused ignorant behavior on these forums, yet we repeatedly get accused of this. I am tired of the accusations. I think they are made by people that are willing to believe the worst about us and I find it very discriminating.
 
40.png
ybeayf:
So if pages are ripped out of a Qur’an, they can’t be flushed down a toilet?.
Actually unlikely. As I told you, even KLEENEX and those little seat covers are hard to flush, much less a stiff piece of paper. I don’t intend to come off as a toilet expert but I think women tend to have more experience plugging them up than men 😉 . Further you specifically mentioned flushing “a small book” which is really inconceivable.

The that isn’t the issue, the issue is that the story is simply not very credible. I heard yet another report on this bit of nuclear waste and apparently it was a third hand story that could never be traced back to a specific event or to the complaint of a specific detainee. It sounds a lot like an 'urban (or should we say jungle?) myth.

Further given the volatility of the region and the nutjobs over there who would chop someone’s head off or blow up school, IMO it was INCREDIBLY irresponsible to make the report at all. NewsWEAK is really lower than a snake’s belly. I hope they go bankrupt.
40.png
ybeayf:
Even if that is true – I’m not arguing either way – I would still describe it as a secular religion, simply because it is secular (“worldly”), irrespective of the other religious beliefs of those who hold to it.
As jlw said, those who ascribe to a religious foundation for our belief in freedom and democracy do not ascribe it to something a politician thunk up on his day off.

Lisa N
 
40.png
Fitz:
Not one person has excused ignorant behavior on these forums, yet we repeatedly get accused of this. I am tired of the accusations. I think they are made by people that are willing to believe the worst about us and I find it very discriminating.
Code:
I re-read the forum where it discusses what happened at Guatanamo Bay…and many, many have said it was wrong. Soooooo, I want to ask your forgiveness for saying that everyone excused their behaviour…as this was not the case. :o

Although it does still upset me that only the girl was accused.

Anyhoo, please forgive me…:love:

Blessings,
Shoshana
 
A news story has to answer 5 questions. The questions are who? what? when? Where? and Why? or How?

Who was involved and who were the witnesses? The teller of the story refuses to mention any names.

When exactly did this happen? Again, the teller of the story doesn’t know.

Where exactly did this happen? Again, we are not told.

Why or how did this happen? Again, no info.
 
Chris Jacobsen:
A news story has to answer 5 questions. The questions are who? what? when? Where? and Why? or How?
That’s old school journalism. Today’s standards are different. “Fake but accurate” is the new journalistic mantra. Or, to quote Andrew Sullivan coming to Newsweek’s aid: “Even if this incident turns out to be false, our previous policies have made it perfectly plausible.”

– Mark L. Chance.
 
40.png
mlchance:
That’s old school journalism. Today’s standards are different. “Fake but accurate” is the new journalistic mantra. Or, to quote Andrew Sullivan coming to Newsweek’s aid: “Even if this incident turns out to be false, our previous policies have made it perfectly plausible.”

– Mark L. Chance.
Or the Rather (Not) Standard: We stand by our story although it’s been completely discredited because we think it’s possible this may have happened.

Lisa N
 
40.png
mlchance:
That’s old school journalism. Today’s standards are different. “Fake but accurate” is the new journalistic mantra. Or, to quote Andrew Sullivan coming to Newsweek’s aid: “Even if this incident turns out to be false, our previous policies have made it perfectly plausible.”

– Mark L. Chance.
Isn’t this the truth? I am so glad I found thses blogs that gilliam posted: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=688500#post688500
This is about media slander and what bloggers are doing to keep the media honest.
 
40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
I re-read the forum where it discusses what happened at Guatanamo Bay…and many, many have said it was wrong. Soooooo, I want to ask your forgiveness for saying that everyone excused their behaviour…as this was not the case. :o

Although it does still upset me that only the girl was accused.

Anyhoo, please forgive me…:love:

Blessings,
Shoshana
I am careful not to excuse bad behavior on the part of any country, my own included. Bashing Americans blindly is a sport around the world now and I don’t think highly of people that participate in it. I don’t think any Catholics approve of torture, disprespecting any other religion, or other atrocities.

As a Catholic, I respect life, even the lives of those that were aiming to kill us just because we were Westerners and we are the infidels. I just don’t have to believe every reporter that is giving biased reports and trying to earn a Pullitzer at our expense. For apparently reproting the truth is not their first goal.

Yet, this weekend I remember those brave and selfless soldiers that have made my country great. I listened to a Relevant Radio (Catholic) show yesterday where many Catholic priests that are chaplains in the military give tribute to our soldiers and our country. It was an awesome show. I hope they replay it. I think many that come on to these forums do not know how to think about military action and how it relates to their knowledge of their religion and their perception of what is happening in the world today.

It is understandable that we are at odds sometimes but we need to stay respectful in our debates over the use of military against terrorism.
 
40.png
Fitz:
I am careful not to excuse bad behavior on the part of any country, my own included. .
Code:
Code:
Pointers taken, Fitz. Have a great long week-end! 🙂
 
40.png
Fitz:
You too! We have a 3 day so it is always nice to have the extra day.
Code:
We have had our Memorial Day last week-end. We spent it cleaning my mom’s cottage…my sister and her american significant other is spending the week-end there for his 3-day holiday. Many americans own cottages along the Lake and we are all good neighbours…there is never any animosity! Actually there are many firecrackers, bondfire and food and drink! :dancing:

During our Memorial Day, there were commercials on how Canadians helped save the Dutch during WW2…and their gratitude is hown on a video tape. It did make my throat tighten…as I very well know that so many died in this tragic war…people from from many nations and of every color. But I am proud we gave a helping hand…🙂

Blessings,
Shoshana
 
40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
During our Memorial Day, there were commercials on how Canadians helped save the Dutch during WW2…and their gratitude is hown on a video tape. It did make my throat tighten…as I very well know that so many died in this tragic war…people from from many nations and of every color. But I am proud we gave a helping hand…🙂

Blessings,
Shoshana
Are the Dutch still grateful? Just wondering. It seems that the young people the world over tend to forget the lessons of history. Many young in Germany don’t even believe that the Holocaust happened. Is there still recongnition amongst the Dutch that Canada helped free them from the Germans?
 
40.png
Fitz:
Are the Dutch still grateful? Just wondering. It seems that the young people the world over tend to forget the lessons of history. Many young in Germany don’t even believe that the Holocaust happened. Is there still recongnition amongst the Dutch that Canada helped free them from the Germans?
Code:
There were no young and I have never seen any…and every year it is the old veterans that leave canada to join forces with others in Holland.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top