H
Hello_All
Guest
Why dont you invite her to a Catholic Charismatic service,after Mass?
Thanks.Excellent, thoughtful post, exnihilo.
Thanks. I’m certainly finding very little disagreement the more I learn about the Catholic church.Are you sure you’re not Catholic? Great post.![]()
Yes and yes and yes. Please think very carefully about your decision to marry. It is completely possible to have a good marriage with a non-Catholic spouse but if your faith is central to your life, then it will be a very lonely experience and a possible source of tension.Every time I see one of these threads I feel compelled to respond based on my personal experience and the experiences of so many other that I have talked to. So I want you to read the next part very slowly: If you are committed to your Catholic faith, and your fiance has no interest in becoming Catholic, then my advice is to NOT GET MARRIED unless or until that situation changes! As you grow in faith and years your faith will become more important to you, the center of your life, and may very well become a huge source of contention in your marraige. It’s your life and you are free to do with it as you will, but I would strongly urge you to read what I have just written over again and ask the Holy Spirit if this is what you truly ought to be doing.
Although I do agree with people who tell you to think long and hard about whether you can spend the rest of your life with someone who is in dsiagreement with your faith, I don’t think the issue is religion. I think the whole issue is communicationThe girl I got engaged to is really against the Catholic church. I initially thought it was because of bias and prejudices about things that simply aren’t true. But she finally told me the truth, that she just feels empty when she goes because there’s so much recited prayer.
She was trying to like it before pronouncing sentence. I wouldn’t hold that against her.Although I do agree with people who tell you to think long and hard about whether you can spend the rest of your life with someone who is in dsiagreement with your faith, I don’t think the issue is religion. I think the whole issue is communication
Why would she finally tell you? Was she keeping it a secret? Did she tell you but you never really heard it? I think before you can even start to tackle the religious issue, you need to fix the communication issue
CM
I am not discrediting your theory, however, if that was the case I think the OP would have wrote something like ‘My fiancee came to church with me to learn about the Catholic faith but after giving a honest effort, she just couldn’t feel comfortable there’She was trying to like it before pronouncing sentence. I wouldn’t hold that against her.
Um, God is God. The worship service IS about us. God doesn’t need our worship. The purpose of the service is to build ourselves and our community. The obligation is because we need the obligation, not because God needs it. So yes, how you feel about it is very important.I’d consider taking the time to discuss this issue because I think it is a big one for both church and marriage. We dont worship God to make us feel anything. True and proper worship is not that which creates a certain feeling. If it were you’d have to say anyone who doesn’t get the right feeling at a church service has wasted their time. They have not worshipped. If the worship service is rated based on how it makes us feel then the worship service becomes more about us than God. Also, we are obliged to worship God whether we feel like it or not. Worshiping God when we dont feel like it is actually the very test of faith. It is easy to do the right thing when we want to. The real test is when we dont want to.
As others have already said, it’s not a good idea to marry if you are unequally yoked. If you spend any amount of time here you will see how many people are in serious disagreements with their spouses of other denominations. If you disagree on moral issues it can make married life very difficult.But she finally told me the truth, that she just feels empty when she goes because there’s so much recited prayer. She doesn’t feel like worship is active enough. She believes everybody has their own style of worship, and the Catholic way is too uniformed.
I agree that God does not need our worship but that does not mean the purpose of worship is to improve man. The purpose is to show the honor due to God as creator. As part of true worship we will improve ourselves and our community because our will becomes aligned with God’s. But the purpose is not that.Um, God is God. The worship service IS about us. God doesn’t need our worship. The purpose of the service is to build ourselves and our community. The obligation is because we need the obligation, not because God needs it. So yes, how you feel about it is very important.
Maybe what you are trying to say about feelings is that vain or empty repetition is not actually worship. If you do not have the intent to worship God then I agree that religious acts lose meaning. But intent is not the same as feeling. Intent is our will. Feelings are something that else.As someone who became Catholic, what I found troublesome was that so many Catholics don’t understand many of the very symbolic rituals included in rites. Thus, the rituals become meaningless, and hence “magic” rather than understandable symbolism.
Corki, You always have the best advice, presented in a caring and straightforward manner.Well, you can certainly go to different parishes and let her experience different liturgical styles. There are also the Eastern Catholic churches but those are also fairly rigid (I mean that in a good way) in terms of structure. You can also see if there are any Charismatic Renewal Masses or Masses at monestaries that you can go to . But, as for “branches”, the Latin Rite is about as freewheeling as any.
But there are some serious problems here.
Sounds like you need to give the whole situation some time. Look around and go talk to a good priest.
- She “finally told me the truth”
Does that mean that she was less than honest before you got engaged? Or does it mean that, as a couple, you glossed over your religious differences in the heat of young love. If the latter, we’ve all done something similar.
But if the former, that’s a big red flag.
- If you church shop now, what happens if you move to another area and there aren’t as many options (assuming you have options now)? It would be unwise to join the Church based on enjoyment of a single style of worship.
- “And there’s no way things can continue if we go to different churches.” Is that what she said or is this your own conclusion? There are many cases of successful mixed marriages. But there are also many cases where a difference caused too much stress and caused the marriage to fail. This is a huge deal when you add children to the mix. That being said, if someone converts, it needs to be for more than just wanting to go to church together.
I disagree. God is God; hence for Him worship is not a requirement Therefore, if worship is to have a purpose, that purpose is only in relation to man. If our individual growth and growth is therefore, not the purpose, what is? We already know God is God, thus the statement that we do it to honor is absurd since He does not require the honor. Hence we ar left only with the improvement of manI agree that God does not need our worship but that does not mean the purpose of worship is to improve man. The purpose is to show the honor due to God as creator. As part of true worship we will improve ourselves and our community because our will becomes aligned with God’s. But the purpose is not that.
No, that is not what I am trying to say. Even if one has that the intent to worship, if one simply follows what is required without understanding, it lacks meaning. We are to love God with all our heart, all our spirit, all our strength, and all our mind. Three out of four doesn’t cut it.Maybe what you are trying to say about feelings is that vain or empty repetition is not actually worship. If you do not have the intent to worship God then I agree that religious acts lose meaning. But intent is not the same as feeling. Intent is our will. Feelings are something that else.
Worship is a moral obligation. Worship is honoring God, which is a moral obligation for the created being. You are right that God is lacking in nothing. But moral duties do not exist to fulfill the needs of man. Such a morality would be humanism, not the Christian concept of morals. Morality, which flows from God’s essence, does require us to honor Him. In Matthew 4:10 Jesus says ‘for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve’. The purpose of Worship is to fulfill our duty. It is true that in fulfilling our duty we will be rightly oriented toward God and from that will come blessings (not blessing from a worldly point of view but from a Heavenly). But the blessings are not the goal.I disagree. God is God; hence for Him worship is not a requirement Therefore, if worship is to have a purpose, that purpose is only in relation to man. If our individual growth and growth is therefore, not the purpose, what is? We already know God is God, thus the statement that we do it to honor is absurd since He does not require the honor. Hence we ar left only with the improvement of man
Are you saying heart is the key to meaning? And are you saying that heart is feelings we experience? If so might I suggest a Dr. Peter Kreeft article I just happened to read the other day. In it he points out:No, that is not what I am trying to say. Even if one has that the intent to worship, if one simply follows what is required without understanding, it lacks meaning. We are to love God with all our heart, all our spirit, all our strength, and all our mind. Three out of four doesn’t cut it.
The Importance of Free Choice: The Role of Our WillThree other words for will in Scripture are “heart” (the center or core of the person), “spirit,” and “I” (as in “I AM WHO AM”). All three mean the self. The source of agape is not any function of the self but the self itself, that mysterious and non-objectifiable personal center which is the root and source of all our functions.
Faith is a personal thing it may be that she is better off in her own church if that is where the spirit of GOD speaks to her. While you can answer her questions and help with some encouragement a person really has to find their faith on there own or else it won’t last. At least that’s my opinion.The girl I got engaged to is really against the Catholic church. I initially thought it was because of bias and prejudices about things that simply aren’t true. But she finally told me the truth, that she just feels empty when she goes because there’s so much recited prayer. She doesn’t feel like worship is active enough. She believes everybody has their own style of worship, and the Catholic way is too uniformed. And there’s no way things can continue if we go to different churches.
Is there any branch of Catholicism that would still be considered going to Christ’s true church that is a bit more free like what she wants?