E
EIF5A
Guest
My parents are sola scriptura Protestants of the evangelical persuasion.
Today, I told them I’ve been attending Catholic Mass since July and that I believe the Catholic Church is the Church established by Christ Himself.
In response, I was told:
They forbade me from going to Church/Mass. (I don’t live with them — only visiting for the week, so in practice, they can’t really forbid me.)
On the one hand, I have to follow what I believe to be the Church established by Christ. On the other hand, my parents are getting old and not of the best health — I feel bad causing grief and pain. They seem to take this very personally. I was close to telling them I have to follow Jesus even at the expense of parents (per Jesus’ commandment), but I refrained as I thought they would break out in tears and be broken.
Please pray for me that I remain constant in my faith and that one day, they may open their eyes and accept the faith of the Church. I tried to explain to them that I find fuller richness of truth in the Catholic Church from the unbroken 2000 year lineage. But then we’re back to the “They were right in the beginning, but they are corrupt and heretical now” spiel.
I envy you cradle Catholics born into the faith…
Today, I told them I’ve been attending Catholic Mass since July and that I believe the Catholic Church is the Church established by Christ Himself.
In response, I was told:
- The Catholic Church started off right but is now heretical.
- Mary is worshipped.
- The Catholic Church changed the Ten Commandments.
- The Catholic Church added books to the Bible.
- The Pope claims to be Christ’s representative.
- Nothing outside of Scripture should be believed. (Good thing I didn’t mention private revelations.)
- That the Real Presence of the Eucharist is just a matter of faith, so whether or not they believed that in the beginning is not relevant.
- God gave us freedom after resurrection of Christ, so no need to “nitpick” on details.
- All you need to do is belief in Jesus to be saved, so why am I complicating things?
- And finally, that I’m disturbing the peace of the family by not following the church that I grew up with and that I’m causing my mother grief.
- (Plus other things I can’t remember at the moment…they brought up the 15-7th century corruption of the Church (e.g., indulgences) and the Inquisition and killing of heretics…which I stated that impeccability is not infallibility as guided by the Holy Spirit)
They forbade me from going to Church/Mass. (I don’t live with them — only visiting for the week, so in practice, they can’t really forbid me.)
On the one hand, I have to follow what I believe to be the Church established by Christ. On the other hand, my parents are getting old and not of the best health — I feel bad causing grief and pain. They seem to take this very personally. I was close to telling them I have to follow Jesus even at the expense of parents (per Jesus’ commandment), but I refrained as I thought they would break out in tears and be broken.
Please pray for me that I remain constant in my faith and that one day, they may open their eyes and accept the faith of the Church. I tried to explain to them that I find fuller richness of truth in the Catholic Church from the unbroken 2000 year lineage. But then we’re back to the “They were right in the beginning, but they are corrupt and heretical now” spiel.
I envy you cradle Catholics born into the faith…