C
Cubsfan
Guest
You way off base. I really can’t buy into one thing that you have said. I have worked for small, medium and large corporations and in twenty years I have never heard consideration given for a womens age because she might get pregnant. This is one of those urban legends that is brought out of the closet every time someone wishes to lament the status of women in our society. I believe if you look at the 14 May 05 edition of the Sun Times there is a story in their about how 8.5 million women earn more than their spouse.What about all the daddies out there? Aren’t they just as important? Of COURSE they are.
Maybe I’m way off base here, but I think that it’s a problem with society that we view men as somewhat more disposable than women. That somehow it’s ok for them to go off and “break things and kill people” and come back in body bags. Some may ask why is it not ok for women to go off to war, another question is why is it not questioned that ANYBODY goes off to war?
I think part of the reason our society- and many, many societies- are failing is b/c men and women are treated so differently as parents. It’s ok for men to work 70 hour weeks and never see their kids as long as mom is a stay-at-home mom who homeschools the kids. Yeah right. Kids need fathers! Especially young boys! What is lacking in our society is fathering. Good, consistant fathering. Men cannot easily be caregivers for their kids, our companies are set up most of the time to give benefits such as maternity leave to mothers… paternity leave is rare and often only a fraction of the length of time mothers are allowed off from work. And job sharing or flex scheduling? Forget about it unless you want a low paying job (read: a “woman’s” job) or you are lucky enough to work for a company that cares about families.
The division of work and home and therefore men and women is a huge problem. It results in sons not having godly male role models- except on weekends!-, daughters not knowing how they should be treated by men (and we all know how important that is by the time girls are dating), women being forced to stay at home and sometimes literally losing their sanity, men being forced to work long hours and be away from their families. And that’s just in the home. What about the work place? Speaking as a 24 year old female, I am viewed as somewhat of a liability now and if I get married then I am an all-out no go in the eyes of employers. In the words of the VP at my office when considering hiring a 20-something woman “Well, how old is she? Is she married? Ya know, she could get pregnant”. Yeah, and heaven forbid we give fathers the opportunity to be caregivers alongside mothers.
Long story short, I think this problem is a lot deeper that just the military. It’s a problem with us thinking that the 1950’s model of a family is the “good” method, even though this method doesn’t historically match up with how families have functioned throughout the centuries.
The 1950’s model of a family??? How about the current model. You know the one where there are no (nada, nunca, nyet, nie…) fathers at home or the one where the husband and or wife has been divorced at least once.