Formally Defected from the Roman Catholic Church?

• Thread starter Thread starter KnightErrant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Church wants to count every baptized person as a member, then that’s not giving an inflated impression of membership rolls. I think pretty much all religions have a large number of people who are technically "members " in some way but don’t practice. The number is pretty useless though if it contains nonpractitioners.

If the Church wants to count every baptized person as a member, then that’s not giving an inflated impression of membership rolls. I think pretty much all religions have a large number of people who are technically "members " in some way but don’t practice. The number is pretty useless though if it contains nonpractitioners.
It is an inflated number if people reading thinks that the number listed is the number of people who identify themselves as Catholic, and there’s nothing in the text to make them think otherwise. If it wants to say there are X people who have been baptized as Catholic and includes people who who would shout from the mountaintops that they are not Catholic, they should explicitly say so. Otherwise it’s deception by omission.

Think of it this way. Imagine that you wanted to invest in a publicly-traded cell phone company. In their stock statement they say they have X customers. Afterward you find out that they had a very unique counting method where they include anyone who has ever used a phone by that company, people who are now subscribers to other companies, and even those who no longer own a cell phone. You would not find they were being forthright.

No one is “investing” in the Church so this is not an issue of paying customers being misled. There is zero impact on society from the Church defining member in this way.

If somebody doesn’t want to believe how the Church defines members, they’re free to not believe it and it has no impact on them.

No one is “investing” in the Church so this is not an issue of paying customers being misled. There is zero impact on society from the Church defining member in this way.
Would you agree that we generally assume the weight of an organization is often proportional to its overall membership. A political party with 20 million members carries more weight than one with under a million. A threatened strike by a large union can have far more impact than a smaller one. By inflating numbers it inflates its perceived standing in the community.

Plus there is another impact to consider: Those individuals who are credited as being Catholic but are not in line with it would strongly prefer not to contribute (mistakenly) to that final total. You may dispute that, but back when it was revealed that the LDS were performing baptisms for the dead there were some who not pleased, including some Catholics.
If somebody doesn’t want to believe how the Church defines members, they’re free to not believe it and it has no impact on them.
It’s not a matter of belief or disbelief, but of being led (purposely?) to an erroneous conclusion. It only takes a few extra words to make clear to any reader that the number is specifically the number of people baptized as Catholics irrespective of their actual faith. To make people think an untruth is bearing false witness.

To make people think an untruth is bearing false witness.
But they are Catholic, so it isn’t untrue. Anyone reporting on it can ask how the numbers are derived. It’s so easy I just stumbled upon it right here.

But they are Catholic, so it isn’t untrue.
There are two types of people being described by the term Catholic here:
  1. People who consider themselves Catholic
  2. People who were baptized as Catholic – which can include people who have left the faith for whatever reason.
Now when you ask any person outside of the Catholic Church what constitutes being a member of an organization they would use type 1. The Catholic Church is the exception. Now without any explanation any writing that says there are a certain number of Catholics would assume there are that many people of type 1, and you’re saying that it’s okay to deceive people in this way. This is despite the fact that there is no way someone outside of Catholicism (and many people within it) wouldn’t even conceive type 2 was possible. It’s no coincidence that the number for type 2 is significantly larger than that of type 1.

As I noted it would only take a few extra words to make it clear to the reader that there even is a type 2. There’s no excuse not to be clear in this regard. Intent is just as important as term usage.
Anyone reporting on it can ask how the numbers are derived. It’s so easy I just stumbled upon it right here.
Why would anyone even ask how the Catholic Church derives its membership numbers unless they knew beforehand that there was something odd about how it does so? Name another organization that calculates their membership in the same way. Again, just a few words to make it clear to those not familiar with this is not much to ask at all, and yet practically every article I see about Catholic Church membership seems unwilling to make the tiniest of effort not to deceive (intentionally or otherwise).

Last edited:
40.png
Tis_Bearself:
Would you agree that we generally assume the weight of an organization is often proportional to its overall membership. A political party with 20 million members carries more weight than one with under a million. A threatened strike by a large union can have far more impact than a smaller one. By inflating numbers it inflates its perceived standing in the community.

Plus there is another impact to consider: Those individuals who are credited as being Catholic but are not in line with it would strongly prefer not to contribute (mistakenly) to that final total. You may dispute that, but back when it was revealed that the LDS were performing baptisms for the dead there were some who not pleased, including some Catholics.
It’s not a matter of belief or disbelief, but of being led (purposely?) to an erroneous conclusion. It only takes a few extra words to make clear to any reader that the number is specifically the number of people baptized as Catholics irrespective of their actual faith. To make people think an untruth is bearing false witness.
What weight? The majority of the world is not and never has been Catholic and doesn’t much care, for example, about Church teaching. The fact that the church claims.x.million as.oposed.to y million members won’t change their minds .

For that matter, a lot.of self-identified Catholics, sadly, don’t see eye to eye with Churxh teaching eiither on some issues. And the average Catholic probably couldn’t tell you the current membership stats anyways.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for the pain that has rendered you, Niblo. My heart goes out to you in your anguish. I will pray for you, hoping that you’ll find resolution and peace, and I believe that you will, if you live long enough. May God’s blessings bring you solace, even if, for now, you’re unbelieving. ❤️
Thank you. That’s very kind. God willing, I shall pray for you also.

May the Exalted bless you - and all you love - and bring you to Himself.

Actually it would probably go on the notations portion of the baptismal certificate.

This is somewhat my issue as well.

In another thread, I said I am a very formal person. Because of the fact there is no formal way to leave the Catholic church, I feel kinda stuck in it.

However, since Monday I have started to slowly come to terms with the fact that there is no formal way to defect and am just moving on.

40.png
Mike_from_NJ:
Would you agree that we generally assume the weight of an organization is often proportional to its overall membership.
Who’s “we”? Politicians? I doubt anyone running for office is going to look at the worldwide statistical number. He will look at the diocesan numbers for the state he is running in. It doesn’t matter if there are a million Catholics in the states next door if his own state only has 5000 of them.

I would imagine most other people with an interest are focused on a regional number, “how many Catholics in the province of Podunk can I sell my apologetics course to” etc.

I’ve never concerned myself with the overall numbers of the Catholic Church. Presumably the people who are most concerned are those in charge of the Catholic Church who want to make sure the Church numbers grow or at least stay stable, and since they would have the best knowledge of how the numbers are calculated, then they’re not being misled.

If other people want to get hung up on perceptions based on a statistic, any statistic, that can be mutated 50 different ways (I had three separate college courses on statistics so I’m intimately familiar with them) then maybe these people should learn some critical thinking…but I’m still not seeing how it impacts their life given that, as I said, there is no financial interest in the worldwide number. Regional number yes, but regional number is calculated by diocese as explained above.
What weight? The majority of the world is not and never has been Catholic and doesn’t much care, for example, about Church teaching. The fact that the church claims.x.million as.oposed.to y million members won’t change their minds.
Agree 1000 percent. I’ve never in my life heard anybody say, “Y’know honey, there’s umpty million Catholics in the world. With those kind of numbers, maybe they’re on to something and we should join.”

Last edited:
I know lots of people who left, but I don’t know anyone who formally defected. The only instance I’ve come across was someone from Germany who declared they were not Catholic to avoid paying the Church tax. That formal declaration was forwarded to the Baptismal parish to be entered in his baptismal record. My understanding is that, in Germany, once that record of your denial is recorded you are denied further sacraments.

It was a joke, but thanks. I’ve never seen one. I didn’t know it had a notes section.

I know lots of people who left, but I don’t know anyone who formally defected. The only instance I’ve come across was someone from Germany who declared they were not Catholic to avoid paying the Church tax. That formal declaration was forwarded to the Baptismal parish to be entered in his baptismal record. My understanding is that, in Germany, once that record of your denial is recorded you are denied further sacraments.
Seems kind of petty reason to avoid something like 0.8-3% tax on income. Plenty of room there to supplement with more direct gifts of time, treasure and talent. People not associated with any church also have option to allocate their tax to other charity or government programs.

Fun calculator here. I (name removed by moderator)ut 50,000 and 1,000,000 euros to get my income tax percentages above.
https://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/gehalt/gross_net_calculator_germany.php

I’ve been to mass & communion in Germany, no one ever asked if I had a clean (Baptismal) record.

Last edited:
40.png
Phemie:
I’ve been to mass & communion in Germany, no one ever asked if I had a clean (Baptismal) record.
It comes into play mainly when you want to get married or buried.

Last edited:
It’s been about three months now and no one has bothered to check in on me to see how I’m doing or anything from my parish.
I am on staff at a large parish in the US. We would not know if someone just stopped showing up. Our accounting person may or may not notice you stopped putting an envelope in the collection basket. At the parish level, you can usually “unregister”. This will take you out of that parish. At least here, parishes are “charged” by the diocese for each registered family. When it is time for the diocesan support appeal, each parish is given a goal or amount due based on the number of registered families. Parishes (at least ours) like to keep this number up to date.

You let the parish office know you have left. Depending on the parish, this may take any place from a couple days to a few years.

Of course, you’re still Catholic.

Im the opposite,i dont want anybody asking me on how im doing.i want to be left alone.if ill need help ,ill ask the priest.otherwise,i dont want anybody meddling on my affairs and vice versa.this is called privacy,freedom.good luck to your endeavors!

I suspect those were liberals who dissent from teachings of Jesus and then blame the Church. In fact, the only true personal relationship with Jesus can be had through the Catholic Church that He established…the Sacraments He instituted for us, especially the Eucharist (I will be with you always) and His teachings/‘rules’ (if you love me you will obey my commandments/‘rules’). Sometimes you will hear these liberals derisively call Faithful Catholics ‘pray, pay and obey Catholics’ but we are commanded to do all three in Scripture so in fact they are good Catholics practicing their Faith.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back