Fornication In Todays World

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adoni65
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should strive to stay pure and be a great leader of your family some day!

Don’t listen to the devil. He is the father of lies!
 
I would be concerned if the man I had chosen to spend my life with, thought doing a sin and then confessing it would make it ok
I mean to ask everyone this - can a sin be forgiven if it is committed with the intention of later seeking forgiveness? That seems dubious.
 
Last edited:
That is true, but it’s also something that is expected when two good Catholics go to the altar. Right?
Well it’s hoped for and it’s obviously the ideal, but it’s not really necessary strictly speaking. I would hope that any couple approaching marriage would have discussed this issue and be happy with the others current attitude and values in this area.

Clearly if the person didn’t feel this was wrong I wouldn’t be marrying them.
I know it’s for my own sake, but with confession being available…wouldn’t it be wise to utilize it fully? Utilizing it by getting more experience out of life and then confessing and actually repenting. Which I don’t think would be hard for me to do honestly.
Of course, I’m not saying you should go out with women who don’t care or think sex is a leisure activity. I’m just saying that you shouldn’t view past sins as something that will necessarily negatively affect your marriage to a Catholic woman who is now chaste but has made mistakkes in the past.
 
I think the sin of pride or something of that nature , and the sin pride stems from, and knowingly being disobedience , are the bigger sins. Look at Moses, tapped the rock twice, never walked into that land he had been walking towards for 40 years.

It gives Catholics a bad wrap too, ’ look at them, they sin then go confess it, Sunday Catholics only’ That would be the sin of scandal.

If these , of course, meet all the conditions of mortal sin.
 
Last edited:
The sin of presumption is a sin against the first commandment:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2091

[2091] The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:

By despair , man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God’s goodness, to his justice - for the Lord is faithful to his promises - and to his mercy.

[2092] There are two kinds of presumption . Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God’s almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit).
 
A mortal sin that can be forgiven non the less.
Not if you’re not contrite about it. And you sound like you wouldn’t be.
I’m glad that you think that way, but the majority do not believe what you stated.
I don’t give a flying flip about what the majority think about. I’m not the majority, I’m me, I like to think of myself as devoted Catholic who holds all the Church teaches to be true and cherished, and I’d rather never marry than marry poorly.
That’s why I’m questioning why I’m giving myself such high expectations, if in the end it’s not even going to be necessary.
Because those expectations are for your own benefit.
Especially if I can easily be forgiven.
Easily forgiven with contrition. Abusing the Sacrament is a sin of itself. The forgiveness of God is not candy you get out of a vending machine. “I’ve said the magic words God, now give me forgiveness!”

It’ll only hurt you in the end.
 
Last edited:
The sin of presumption is a sin against the first commandment:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 3 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 1 ARTICLE 1

[2091] The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:

By despair , man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God’s goodness, to his justice - for the Lord is faithful to his promises - and to his mercy.

[2092] There are two kinds of presumption . Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God’s almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit).
Thank you. This is a very good explanation. The best and most concise one I have seen so far. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
I think the sin of pride or something of that nature , and the sin pride stems from, and knowingly being disobedience , are the bigger sins. Look at Moses, tapped the rock twice, never walked into that land he had been walking towards for 40 years.
Yes I believe in Divine Comedy , Pride is lowest level of Hell and Satan has 3 mouths chewing on Judas/Brutus/Cassius, symbolizing that betrayal is purest form of Pride, and this would be betrayal of God.
It gives Catholics a bad wrap too, ’ look at them, they sin then go confess it, Sunday Catholics only’ That would be the sin of scandal.
Yes great point
 
If your reasons for sexual purity are born out of some sense of ticking off a list of things you did and did not do, then you’ve kind of missed the point. Sexual purity, frankly, isn’t supposed to be about your future spouse or “experience” or “I’m missing out because so-and-so did all these things, and I have done none of the things, and it’s not fair.”

Sexual purity, frankly, has little to do with your future spouse, and everything to do with your relationship with Jesus. Sex is a beautiful gift given to humanity to understand a self-giving love from which springs new life. If we aren’t recognizing this in our sexual relationships, again we are missing the point and failing on the point of purity as sexuality is becoming distorted. Sex is a tool that God uses to demonstrate in yet another beautiful way, his life-giving love for us. Fornication is just one of the many extremes of the misunderstanding about it. If your saving yourself just for the sake of your future spouse, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also, plenty of women wait for marriage. I’d tell you the same thing I’d tell a girl or anyone else who asks about finding a spouse with their values - work on being a person deeply committed to Jesus, following him, and putting him first and this will make you the person the kind of woman you want would want to be with.
 
Its not that unusual today. Plus, 20 years ago people weren’t bombarded with porn, sex, etc everywhere. Sure, porn and sex was around, but nowhere like it is now. Its everywhere. Half of top websites on internet are porn. Most TV shows include literal porn scenes. People walk around in public wearing stuff you’d only see at swimming pools 20-30 yrs ago. Not to mention that less and less people go to church and far more engage in pre marital sex, so there is more pressure. Then on top of that you have culture that bashes men and Catholicism. Being a 26 year old Catholic man today is far tougher than 20 or 30 years ago.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn’t expect the level of immaturity expressed in the ideas presented out of a 26 year old man.
Maybe it’s just that I have become somewhat of a curmudgeon in my years on this earth, but it seems to me that what would have been considered an appalling level of immaturity when I was first starting out on my own is more or less the norm among supposed adults now.
 
Plus, 20 years ago people weren’t bombarded with porn, sex, etc everywhere.
Twenty years ago was 1999. Yes, it pervaded the culture then, as now.
but it seems to me that what would have been considered an appalling level of immaturity when I was first starting out on my own is more or less the norm among supposed adults now.
It’s still appalling.
 
I am a 26 year old traditional Catholic man. I believe in everything The Church teaches. I am waiting until marriage, however, I am recently having a hard time believing that one should wait. I’m starting to believe that this teaching is archaic, because 99 percent of the women that I met have “life experiences” Catholic or not. I’m starting to lean toward actually fornicating so that I don’t feel like I’ve been gypped in case I marry someone who did not wait. What should I do? What should I believe? I’m very confused at the moment.
As someone who didn’t wait, I can tell you that it is A LOT better to wait.

Having sex before marriage does nothing except cause you to daydream or dream about past sexual encounters instead of dreaming about your wife.

Sex is not rocket science. You don’t need a lot different experiences to be a good husband.

I hope this helps a little bit.

God bless
 
If she repented and made a true change, then you are right. I wouldn’t feel that way, however, I have yet to meet one who has sincerely changed .
Then use Catholic Match or find a single girl/women at a local Latin Mass community or one who attends daily mass in the Ordinary Form.
 
Twenty years ago was 1999. Yes, it pervaded the culture then, as now.
Not really. Yes, it was worse in 1999 than in 1989; but it wasn’t as FREE as it is today. In 1999 you still have to put in effort or pay to get porn. Today, you have to work hard to avoid porn.

In 1999, I remember teens and college guys sometimes watching scrambled TV in order to try to see some porn. Today, you just have to watch HBO to watch porn and you can talk about about the show at work.
 
Last edited:
Plus, 20 years ago people weren’t bombarded with porn, sex, etc everywhere. Sure, porn and sex was around, but nowhere like it is now. Its everywhere. Half of top websites on internet are porn. Most TV shows include literal porn scenes. People walk around in public wearing stuff you’d only see at swimming pools 20-30 yrs ago. Not to mention that less and less people go to church and far more engage in pre marital sex, so there is more pressure. Then on top of that you have culture that bashes men and Catholicism. Being a 26 year old Catholic man today is far tougher than 20 or 30 years ago.
I hate to burst your bubble, but everybody was having sex like rabbits 20, 30 and 40 years ago too.
It’s pretty much been that way since the 1970s.

If you don’t believe me, watch pretty much any 1970s movie not directed at children.
 
Last edited:
Fornatication yes. But porn was not as mainstream as it is today.
 
Having sex before marriage does nothing except cause you to daydream or dream about past sexual encounters instead of dreaming about your wife.
Yes humans are like double sided sticky tape - the more times they bond and unbond the less the ability to form stable bond in future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top