P
PatK63
Guest
You should strive to stay pure and be a great leader of your family some day!
Don’t listen to the devil. He is the father of lies!
Don’t listen to the devil. He is the father of lies!
I mean to ask everyone this - can a sin be forgiven if it is committed with the intention of later seeking forgiveness? That seems dubious.I would be concerned if the man I had chosen to spend my life with, thought doing a sin and then confessing it would make it ok
Well it’s hoped for and it’s obviously the ideal, but it’s not really necessary strictly speaking. I would hope that any couple approaching marriage would have discussed this issue and be happy with the others current attitude and values in this area.That is true, but it’s also something that is expected when two good Catholics go to the altar. Right?
Of course, I’m not saying you should go out with women who don’t care or think sex is a leisure activity. I’m just saying that you shouldn’t view past sins as something that will necessarily negatively affect your marriage to a Catholic woman who is now chaste but has made mistakkes in the past.I know it’s for my own sake, but with confession being available…wouldn’t it be wise to utilize it fully? Utilizing it by getting more experience out of life and then confessing and actually repenting. Which I don’t think would be hard for me to do honestly.
Not if you’re not contrite about it. And you sound like you wouldn’t be.A mortal sin that can be forgiven non the less.
I don’t give a flying flip about what the majority think about. I’m not the majority, I’m me, I like to think of myself as devoted Catholic who holds all the Church teaches to be true and cherished, and I’d rather never marry than marry poorly.I’m glad that you think that way, but the majority do not believe what you stated.
Because those expectations are for your own benefit.That’s why I’m questioning why I’m giving myself such high expectations, if in the end it’s not even going to be necessary.
Easily forgiven with contrition. Abusing the Sacrament is a sin of itself. The forgiveness of God is not candy you get out of a vending machine. “I’ve said the magic words God, now give me forgiveness!”Especially if I can easily be forgiven.
Thank you. This is a very good explanation. The best and most concise one I have seen so far. Thank you.The sin of presumption is a sin against the first commandment:
Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 3 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 1 ARTICLE 1
[2091] The first commandment is also concerned with sins against hope, namely, despair and presumption:
By despair , man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins. Despair is contrary to God’s goodness, to his justice - for the Lord is faithful to his promises - and to his mercy.
[2092] There are two kinds of presumption . Either man presumes upon his own capacities, (hoping to be able to save himself without help from on high), or he presumes upon God’s almighty power or his mercy (hoping to obtain his forgiveness without conversion and glory without merit).
Yes I believe in Divine Comedy , Pride is lowest level of Hell and Satan has 3 mouths chewing on Judas/Brutus/Cassius, symbolizing that betrayal is purest form of Pride, and this would be betrayal of God.I think the sin of pride or something of that nature , and the sin pride stems from, and knowingly being disobedience , are the bigger sins. Look at Moses, tapped the rock twice, never walked into that land he had been walking towards for 40 years.
Yes great pointIt gives Catholics a bad wrap too, ’ look at them, they sin then go confess it, Sunday Catholics only’ That would be the sin of scandal.
He says he’s 26. I wouldn’t expect the level of immaturity expressed in the ideas presented out of a 26 year old man.We are all pretty old though and this guy is probably young
Maybe it’s just that I have become somewhat of a curmudgeon in my years on this earth, but it seems to me that what would have been considered an appalling level of immaturity when I was first starting out on my own is more or less the norm among supposed adults now.I wouldn’t expect the level of immaturity expressed in the ideas presented out of a 26 year old man.
Twenty years ago was 1999. Yes, it pervaded the culture then, as now.Plus, 20 years ago people weren’t bombarded with porn, sex, etc everywhere.
It’s still appalling.but it seems to me that what would have been considered an appalling level of immaturity when I was first starting out on my own is more or less the norm among supposed adults now.
As someone who didn’t wait, I can tell you that it is A LOT better to wait.I am a 26 year old traditional Catholic man. I believe in everything The Church teaches. I am waiting until marriage, however, I am recently having a hard time believing that one should wait. I’m starting to believe that this teaching is archaic, because 99 percent of the women that I met have “life experiences” Catholic or not. I’m starting to lean toward actually fornicating so that I don’t feel like I’ve been gypped in case I marry someone who did not wait. What should I do? What should I believe? I’m very confused at the moment.
Then use Catholic Match or find a single girl/women at a local Latin Mass community or one who attends daily mass in the Ordinary Form.If she repented and made a true change, then you are right. I wouldn’t feel that way, however, I have yet to meet one who has sincerely changed .
Not really. Yes, it was worse in 1999 than in 1989; but it wasn’t as FREE as it is today. In 1999 you still have to put in effort or pay to get porn. Today, you have to work hard to avoid porn.Twenty years ago was 1999. Yes, it pervaded the culture then, as now.
I hate to burst your bubble, but everybody was having sex like rabbits 20, 30 and 40 years ago too.Plus, 20 years ago people weren’t bombarded with porn, sex, etc everywhere. Sure, porn and sex was around, but nowhere like it is now. Its everywhere. Half of top websites on internet are porn. Most TV shows include literal porn scenes. People walk around in public wearing stuff you’d only see at swimming pools 20-30 yrs ago. Not to mention that less and less people go to church and far more engage in pre marital sex, so there is more pressure. Then on top of that you have culture that bashes men and Catholicism. Being a 26 year old Catholic man today is far tougher than 20 or 30 years ago.
Yes humans are like double sided sticky tape - the more times they bond and unbond the less the ability to form stable bond in future.Having sex before marriage does nothing except cause you to daydream or dream about past sexual encounters instead of dreaming about your wife.