G
GKMotley
Guest
Operation CROSSROADS.
I was a history major, and I would love for you to continue. I have read about this issue some (other parts of the war hold more interest for me, honestly) and have read good arguments both for and against the use of the bomb. Honestly, despite the fact that some historians have pointed out that Japan had put out a few “peace feelers” about negotiating an end to the war, i doubt this would have been viable for the Allies. The terms for the Allies and the Japanese would likely be way too far apart, and many in Japan felt they could still kill enough people to make demands. Of course there is the whole unconditional surrender debate, whether it was right for the Allies to insist upon it. I am not sure Japan would have accepted a peace agreement that the Allies would view as acceptable even without forcing Japan to an unconditional surrender. And the whole time negotiations would be going on, areas in Asia and the Pacific under Japanese control would continue to deteriorate. In China alone, tens of thousands were dying per month I believe. And you do point out, even after Hiroshima, the Japanese Cabinet did not choose to give up. In fact, Hirohito himself had to break the Cabinet deadlock after Nagasaki, and even then some fanatical military officers attempted to prevent the Hirohito’s surrender recording from being broadcast!Yep. A lot of historical comments that could be made. But I can’t do such until someone else has posted, when I could do 3 more. Just as happy not to. Will if opportunity arises and it seems appropriate.
Historical comments, note. I do not address the RCC teaching on the morality. I have my own opinion on that, not interested in others. But history of the event is a major hobby of mine.
I don’t know what was said, but the Truman did warn the Emperor. The Japanese didn’t take him seriously.A few years ago I saw an interview with a high-ranking Japanese military officer who said it was probably justified, because every Japanese citizen would have fought to the death, and many more lives would have been lost.
That said, I wish Truman would have dropped one in an unpopulated area somewhere near Japan, and told Emperor Hirohito that the next one would be in a populated area if Japan didn’t surrender. Maybe he showed Hirohito the film of the tests. I’d like to think he warned him somehow.
It is Hell to Pay. Very detailed analysis of the American invasion plans and the enormous scale of the undertaking.If it’s HELL TO PAY, and I bet it is, the 2nd edition adds a couple of chapters, but nothing essential. What Giangreco is essential about is numbers and their implications. We would have a had a difficult time mounting OLYMPIC.
Will look for FIRE AND FURY. The breaking of the Bismark Barrier is one of my weaker points, which is why THE GHOST MOUNTAIN BOYS/Campbell is waiting for me. As is Bergerud’s TOUCHED WITH FIRE. And Burma - I need to finish Slim’s DEFEAT INTO VICTORY, and the collected Stillwell papers. And I got some of Eichelberger’s books, somewhere. The naval war is usually my main reading area. Other than the end game, in August.
So much to read. Fortunately, for 60 years, I’ve bought far faster than I’ve read. WWII is not the only addiction.
good articlesThere are references to the Catechism here:
Dropping the Atomic Bomb Was Wrong. Period. | Catholic Answers
Also, on the just war theory:
Just War and the Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki| National Catholic Register
If you time-traveled back to the WWII era, you could probably also find a number of priests taking the opposite position.I don’t know if there is an official teaching, but I have definitely heard a number of priests say that the United States’ atom-bombing of Japan in WWII was immoral because of the disregard of innocent human life.