Freemasons

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsimo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either I have totally lost the ability to read and understand the English language, or I havn’t recovered from New Year’s Eve yet.:cool:
you have not recovered from New Years yet…
let me help you out…

texasroofer said:
POST#20 The member has a right to be free of the Freemason’s religion while practicing Catholism.
texasroofer:
POST#15 Did you know Priests serve the Bishop? Almost all authority the Priest has is delegation from the Bishop, very little of the Priest’s authority is independent of the Bishop’s grant. Also though occasionally a local business manager may have gained power the Priest is the highest local authority ( based on the Bishop’s grants). So it is time to write the Diocese
 
Please to not speak for me Julianna is correct. The comment was “and rubs it into you face when they are an usher in a Catholic church…” (Post #10) And the letter to the diocese should be specific in the details. The member has a right to be free of the Freemason’s religion while practicing Catholism.
Ac86 & marci

Can either of you point out a single statement from Julianna or I that violates actual Catholic teach ??? Or is accusation and innuendo all you have ?
Since you seem to be faithful to the Church, and since the Church is absolutely adamant about Her members not becoming masons, then maybe you should be just as adamant?
 
For all Catholics in this thread who are crazily and vigorously defending Freemasonry against the Church please read Pope Leo XIII’s Encyclical on the subject.
By the way if you read para 11 the Pope points out “What We have said, and are about to say, must be understood of the sect of the Freemasons taken generically, and in so far as it comprises the associations kindred to it and confederated with it, but not of the individual members of them. There may be persons amongst these, and not a few who, although not free from the guilt of having entangled themselves in such associations, yet are neither themselves partners in their criminal acts nor aware of the ultimate object which they are endeavoring to attain.”

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13human.htm

A few extracts in case you don’t want to read the document although it has only 38 paras:
  1. The first warning of the danger was given by Clement XII in the year 1738,[3] and his constitution was confirmed and renewed by Benedict XIV.[4] Pius VII followed the same path;[5] and Leo XII, by his apostolic constitution, Quo Graviora,[6] put together the acts and decrees of former Pontiffs on this subject, and ratified and confirmed them forever. In the same sense spoke Pius VIII,[7] Gregory XVI,[8] and, many times over, Pius IX.[9]
8…Our intention, following the example of Our predecessors, directly to treat of the masonic society itself, of its whole teaching, of its aims, and of its manner of thinking and acting, in order to bring more and more into the light its power for evil, and to do what We can to arrest the contagion of this fatal plague.
  1. If those who are admitted as members are not commanded to abjure by any form of words the Catholic doctrines, this omission, so far from being adverse to the designs of the Freemasons is more useful for their purposes. First, in this way they easily deceive the simple-minded and the heedless, and can induce a far greater number to become members. Again, as all who offer themselves are received whatever may be their form of religion, they thereby teach the great error of this age – that a regard for religion should be held as an indifferent matter, and that all religions are alike. This manner of reasoning is calculated to bring about the ruin of all forms of religion, and especially of the Catholic religion, which, as it is the only one that is true, cannot, without great injustice, be regarded as merely equal to other religions.
  2. What, therefore, sect of the Freemasons is, and what course it pursues, appears sufficiently from the summary We have briefly given. Their chief dogmas are so greatly and manifestly at variance with reason that nothing can be more perverse. To wish to destroy the religion and the Church which God Himself has established, and whose perpetuity He insures by His protection, and to bring back after a lapse of eighteen centuries the manners and customs of the pagans, is signal folly and audacious impiety. Neither is it less horrible nor more tolerable that they should repudiate the benefits which Jesus Christ so mercifully obtained, not only for individuals, but also for the family and for civil society, benefits which, even according to the judgment and testimony of enemies of Christianity, are very great. In this insane and wicked endeavor we may almost see the implacable hatred and spirit of revenge with which Satan himself is inflamed against Jesus Christ. – So also the studious endeavor of the Freemasons to destroy the chief foundations of justice and honesty, and to co-operate with those who would wish, as if they were mere animals, to do what they please, tends only to the ignominious and disgraceful ruin of the human race.
31…As Our predecessors have many times repeated, let no man think that he may for any reason whatsoever join the masonic sect, if he values his Catholic name and his eternal salvation as he ought to value them.** Let no one be deceived by a pretense of honesty**. It may seem to some that Freemasons demand nothing that is openly contrary to religion and morality; but, as the whole principle and object of the sect lies in what is vicious and criminal, to join with these men or in any way to help them cannot be lawful.

For those who think the threat of excommunication has been lifted because they cannot see it in the New Canon Code, this is not the case. There is a provision for such a sanction in cases, to be identified locally, where an organisation works against the Faith or the Church (Canon 1374).
Also in 1983 Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith said Masonic membership is a grave sin.
 
Dear Texas Roofer,

I think you are the type that wants to go line by line with me by the looks of the reply to my post.

I dont know where I got under your skin, but let me set the record straight right now.

What part of **no **dont you understand?

IOW- Church says NO.

Why is this up for debate amoung “Catholics”?

Let me in on the part of NO I missed out on all my life…

Waiting…
 
Dear Texas Roofer,

I think you are the type that wants to go line by line with me by the looks of the reply to my post.

I dont know where I got under your skin, but let me set the record straight right now.

What part of **no **dont you understand?

IOW- Church says NO.

Why is this up for debate amoung “Catholics”?

Let me in on the part of NO I missed out on all my life…

Waiting…
either it is late or I am slow on the uptake but what does IOW stand for:confused:
 
Guys,
I’m in RCIA, still learning about the church, so please don’t jump on me if this question is really stupid or if you think I should know the answer. I just got called by a Shriner and was asked to give money to send kids to the Shriner circus. I said I would give $40, but then I looked up the Shriners to see if they were compatible with being Catholic, and it seems not. The weird thing is that I don’t send the check to them–they are sending someone out apparently to pick up the check from my door (they said to leave it in an envelope and put it under my doormat so no one else could get it.) What should I do? Should I write a note and just say that I’m sorry but I am Catholic and didn’t realize the Shriners were incompatible with my faith when I spoke to the man on the phone, or write a note saying I’m sorry but I can’t give like I thought I could, or what? I’d appreciate any help and any thoughts to help guide me on this matter. Thanks a lot.
Holly
To HolyRose

I would direct your contribution to the Fire Victims only.
 
I’m surprised how long this thread has become.

Setting aside the historical “contributions” of the Lodge, Freemasons hold heterodox beliefs. If we know any Catholic brother holding heterodox beliefs, whether of Masonic, Protestant, Buddhist, or some other patrimony, we should in charity tell him that his beliefs contradict the orthodox Faith, especially if he is a friend or a relative. If, on the other hand, he is a total stranger, I don’t think it’s really our business unless he is a public sinner (i.e. trying to get others to join his lodge). In that case we ought to have a chat with the parish priest or contact the bishop if the priest is not willing to enforce canon law.

It’s the same issue with heterodox groups like Catholics For a Free Choice or Call to Action; no need to single out the Masons, really. Historical discussions just muddy the issue: the reason that joining the Lodge is prohibited to Catholics is primarily because of their current beliefs and practices, not because of any anti-Catholic activity by Masons in the past.
 
quick question that both you and Julianna seem to not want to answer…
So do you agree with church teaching on freemasonry, or you don’t you?

Post 57, post 57, post 57, post 57, post 57
 
I’m surprised how long this thread has become.

Setting aside the historical “contributions” of the Lodge, Freemasons hold heterodox beliefs. If we know any Catholic brother holding heterodox beliefs, whether of Masonic, Protestant, Buddhist, or some other patrimony, we should in charity tell him that his beliefs contradict the orthodox Faith, especially if he is a friend or a relative. If, on the other hand, he is a total stranger, I don’t think it’s really our business unless he is a public sinner (i.e. trying to get others to join his lodge). In that case we ought to have a chat with the parish priest or contact the bishop if the priest is not willing to enforce canon law.

It’s the same issue with heterodox groups like Catholics For a Free Choice or Call to Action; no need to single out the Masons, really. Historical discussions just muddy the issue: the reason that joining the Lodge is prohibited to Catholics is primarily because of their current beliefs and practices, not because of any anti-Catholic activity by Masons in the past.
For further reading.
scripturecatholic.com/freemasonfaq.html

and this book

catalog.osv.com/Catalog.aspx?ProductCode=T278
 
Post 57, post 57, post 57, post 57, post 57
In post #57 you only state that you get it that “the Church’s position is not to join them.”

Knowing the Church “position” is one thing but you did not say if you believed the Church’s teaching is correct and if you accept that teaching.
 
Catholics that know the teachings and cant or wont accept them because they personally dont see the point of it or dont understand it are commonplace and if you just look at the threads on any given day, you will see that there is a common belief some hold that you can pick and chose what you like and toss what you dont and living the faith is not a 24/7 thing its what you do on Sunday at Mass and you leave it there when you leave.

But you cant. You must live it daily to the best of your ability and you must adhere to it faithfully.

Freemasons are a subject that is not grey. Its not up for a popular vote.

Whatever. I dont understand this.
 
In post #57 you only state that you get it that “the Church’s position is not to join them.”

Knowing the Church “position” is one thing but you did not say if you believed the Church’s teaching is correct and if you accept that teaching.
thistle said:
I totally agree with Puzzleannie on this. You should not be pouring this out on a public forum. I really really hope that the names you used are not the real names of the people involved.
You are not allowed to reveal things about people to others who did not previously know them (i.e. us on a public forum) even if what you say is true!

CCC 2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty:

  • of rash judgment who, even tacitly, assumes as true, without sufficient foundation, the moral fault of a neighbor; ***
- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another’s faults and failings to persons who did not know them;
***- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgments concerning them. ***

CCC 2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one’s neighbor. Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle::whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
 
No wonder you are whistling. For some reason my post is the wrong thread. It has nothing to do with the Freemasons thread.

If however you have copied and pasted my comments from another thread into this one then I am reporting you to the moderators because that would be way out of line!!
 
No wonder you are whistling. For some reason my post is the wrong thread. It has nothing to do with the Freemasons thread.

If however you have copied and pasted my comments from another thread into this one then I am reporting you to the moderators because that would be way out of line!!
thistle he copied these comments of yours right off this thread…that is the thread regarding FREEMASONS…

oops my bad…sorry thistle…it would seem that only the first post is from this thread…the other is from an ANNULMENT thread…
 
thistle he copied these comments of yours right off this thread…that is the thread regarding FREEMASONS…

oops my bad…sorry thistle…it would seem that only the first post is from this thread…the other is from an ANNULMENT thread…
Yes I’ve realised that. He’s using my comments from another thread out of context and linking it to a question I asked in this thread.
I was hoping people would be more mature than that.
Anyway I’ve made a report to the moderators.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top