E
ETEXAS
Guest
:extrahappy:
:extrahappy:
The NAB and NASB are both Jedi…Educated by…Yoda…: “Follow Greek verb constructs closely…yes!”I like the NASB probably because it is most similar to the NAB.
However, I do love reading Psalms in King James.![]()
LOL, we have a guy at work that is so incredibly OCD like Monk that we call him Monk and he likes it!!!LOL…It’s sad but true…hey…I may do an ADRIN MONK thread someday…
![]()
You know I actually want the NLT…I bought one…but alas my Dear Friends…it was a nice Cambridge Pitt Minion (their sweet thin - line Bibles.) BUT my 40 something eyes are in need of a…cough…bigger print size!For Non-Catholic translations, I love the NASB and the New Living Translation. Pretty much as far away from each other as you can possibly get, but they’re wonderful. I love the NASB when doing Greek studies, to help me understand syntax and when speaking to someone more learned, but the NLT cannot be rivaled when doing my prison ministry, where most of the inmates have less than a high school education and aren’t as learned as they’d lead you to believe. Not all, but most.
Personally, for devotional reading at home, and carrying around, I love the RSV-CE and the Confraternity Edition. For father’s day my wife purchased me pocket versions of both NT’s. I love it! They go with me everywhere.
Well about a year ago…I had sniffles…I asked our housekeeper to get me some meds…so…she LOL…THOUGHT I had gone upstairs…I was in the next room looking for something…I heard her talking to her Husband…I heard “Hon, I need to get Mr. Monk some cough syrup.” I busted out LAUGHING…she popped around the corner…RED AS A BEET…I looked at her and said I really like Monk!LOL, we have a guy at work that is so incredibly OCD like Monk that we call him Monk and he likes it!!!![]()
LOL…well the NIV…and NLT are good for some things…I was showing a Section of…I don’t recall now…lol…but…he hit a wall with the RSVCE (as far as grasping it) I grabed an NIV…and bang…in a sense…you can carefully use a DE-Paraphrastic as a mini…“commentary/aid”…NIV= “Non-Inspired Version”![]()
Really? Where?Hey, you can get an NLT Catholic Reference Edition. It is a very nice, smooth translation![]()
My Mom is Methodist!I’m a United Methodist who likes Catholic Bibles best.Can I play??
My faves are the Douay-Rheims Challoner, & the RSV-CE.
But my favorite Protestant translations are the NKJV & the NRSV.
And it came to pass, that Jesus and his disciples were walking along the Sea of Galilee. And they asked him, saying: Lord, what shall we do when thou art taken from us? And He spake unto them, saying: Fear ye not, but trust the Lord your God.And unto Thee, I also say…yea, Have I only read the King James. So that was how I chooseth mine own selection. Ah! But, yea, the NASB by the Gideons handed out, it 'tis. Liketh do I, that one as well!![]()
ROLF!!! Love it! Indeed Ye Love the AV. LOL. Like I say no shame…In Newman’s Journals and some letters…(after conversion) you STILL see scattered AV refs! I recal reading for personal Devotion he still read it …Good Old JH Newman!And it came to pass, that Jesus and his disciples were walking along the Sea of Galilee. And they asked him, saying: Lord, what shall we do when thou art taken from us? And He spake unto them, saying: Fear ye not, but trust the Lord your God.
And straightaway did He raise His hands up unto the heaven in thanksgiving and saith in a loud voice: I thank thee, Abba, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for thou always hearest mine prayer, and I implore thee that thou helpest these poor followers of mine, and give thee unto them that precious book of thine which they shall solely need for their justification.
And no sooner had He said thus, there came a book from the heaven and dropped unto the hands of Jesus. And lo, the front and the back of the book is exceeding red as unto blood, being covered with skins, and it was exceeding thick as a stone, and it weigheth twoscore pounds, and upon its pages of parchment was written large, thick letters of black and red ink, and upon the front of it was graven thus in large letters of gold: YE HOLYE BYBLE, AUTHORYSED KYNGE JAYMES VERSYON. And below them was graven a number thus: a thousand six-hundred and eleven. And straightaway He spake unto them, saying: Take ye, distribute amongst yourselves: for verily, this is the inspired and infallible word of my Father, which is printed for you: this read in remembrance of me.
And straightaway the disciples taketh the book from the hands of the Lord, and they wondered greatly who James was. James the son of Zebedee and James the son of Alphaeus denied that it be them, and thus they pursued the matter not further. But rather they said thus amongst themselves: We shall not worry about such things small and inconsequential, for verily, the Lord hath turned his face unto us, condescending to give unto us a copy of his holy word.
And they waxed joyful and cried out, saying: Praise and glory and honour be unto God, for he hath granted us salvation and justification through his infallible word.
Then the disciples went forth and preached unto Jews and unto Gentiles as the Lord had commanded unto them, copying and printing and distributing and delivering that holy God-breathed Scriptures in the version of James the King, which alone is sufficient for their growing in righteousness and which alone is the only infallible rule of faith, and which hath but threescore and six books…
![]()
1611 AV. As a former Protestant, I don’t care for the Catholic paperback and hard back Bibles. Cheap paper. Cheap binding. Cheap. It makes me think of a Beatles song. It went: “Paperback Bible, Bible, Bible…”, or something like that…Heh.OK kids! (lol) I am calling this a fun Poll because if not taken in a Proper Spirit could go wrong! None of that now!OK what is your fave “Protestant” Bible…there are a number of “valid” reasons A catholic can have or read a Protestant. Bible…I am a Former Anglican…I have a Handcrafted Blue AV (from Glasgow)…French milled Paper …Calfskin Leather! Hey not gonna trash it (the AV gets a bad rap…it is VERY high Church…the ONLY way it is used as anti Catholic are …with Scofield notes or such! Anywho…I LOVE the AV Psalms my Dear Friends! They are SUBLIME! Some Catholics in College/University may take in Comp Lit do “Bible as Literature” it could be a Protestant Bible…some Catholics are in BSF open to Catholics and Protestants …actually safe…it is a “Topical” overview of Scripture! Not really dogmatic! You can tote any version you wish but lesson plans are based on the NIV…not bad…IF you know the NIV is Paraphrastic! but an easy read! SO with my disclaimers lets “have fun” Protestant Bibles you enjoy…perhaps from being a convert…nostagia thing…or Literary Quality…
Lets roll!!!
![]()