I realize this thread is on thin ice. An earlier Garabandal thread which some contributing members here were participating on has already had to be closed. But according to the information I’ve reviewed on this subject over the years , several parts of what is being paraphrased 2 posts ago may not be totally accurate.
Keeping in mind that we aren’t really given to discussing events of unconfirmed or yet-to-be confirmed purported predictions/prophecies as they pertain to private revelation, perhaps I might allude to one potential inaccuracy indirectly. Although it would be an easy error to make, it conveys a significantly different notion.
For what it’s worth, as far as I recall , (highlights mine) -
. . . Pope Paul VI. It was predicted that there would only be three popes left until the end if time. That would have been John Paul II . . .
according to a documentary I reviewed several times the wording was not “the end of time”, but rather the “end times” - subtle difference in wording ; big difference in concept.
The issue I’m gertting at isn’t whether someone agrees or not with a particular yet-to-be-confirmed-if-ever private revelation, but if we are being permitted to comment on the subject thus far, we owe it to each other to at least make an effort to verify our sources - otherwise we ourselves end up becoming the ones who
“reinterpret” and promote reinterpretation of the original.
Case in point :
Almost two months ago, on
one of the threads which started up here at the time of the canonization of St. Kateri Tekakwitha , (

) ,in all the elation, one of our members posted that St. Kateri used to “
sleep on a bed of thorns” . Well, living just across the mighty St. Lawrence river from her shrine, I got to wondering what type of thorns these might be - there probably hadn’t been a whole lot of cultivated roses brought over here yet (350 years beforehand).
That left thorns from berry bushes (ouch) and among others, these really mean thorns we have from some trees which give berries here (sharp spiny and easily over 2 inches long and which won’t break - they just bend [if one were to whack a charging bear with a branch adorned with this stuff they’d definitely be able to teach the bear a permanent lesson about U-turns] ). So it wasn’t making a whole lot of sense to me . . . decided to do some research and I even found a formal presentation on (then Blessed) St. Kateri saying she “slept on a bed of thorns.”
I still wondered whom or what that formal presentation was quoting. So I decided it better to keep digging around a little. As it turned out, it was the Anishinabe Spiritual Centre which carried the information most true to the original – taken from the memoirs of Jesuit Fr. Pierre Cholonec – the spiritual director of St. Kateri.
He’d recorded that
Two or three months before her death, Catherine sprinkled her bed with pine needles, lay down on top of them, having only a blanket over her body, and then rolled over the needles during the night.
Now they aren’t the same as thorns, but please don’t get me wrong :I can tell you firsthand that dry pine needles are sharp and can very easily pierce even the toughest skin on the palm of one’s hand.
The point is
accuracy in reporting what we read or hear when it comes to the facts. Someone missed the facts and makes a formal report, someone sees the formal report and assuming it’s accurate, reports it to a forum - then a whole bunch of people can be given a distortion of the facts - without any of them ever becoming aware of it.
Wishing all my brothers and sisters here a Blessed grace-filled Christmas.