God, Science and Naturalism

• Thread starter Thread starter Al_Moritz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggled tremendously with the value of prayer when losing my religion. As a contemplative practice, I think it can have some value but intercessory prayer is worthless. The results are exactly the same as would be expected if there’s no God at all. My decision on that still stands.

either God acts within time, not outside of it as theists claim
God exists outside of time, but I don’t recall hearing that He was limited to acting only outside of time. And I don’t understand how your lack of free will claim follows from the premise. Our free will has nothing to do with what God does or does not do.

Interesting exercise. But of course miraculous healing is not the only way for prayers to be answered, so I don’t see this as a smoking gun either.

The very idea of prayer being “effective” presupposes the possibility of a deterministic outcome, which there cannot be given the “nature” (for lack of a better term) of God.
Not at all.

Suppose you have symptoms of cancer. Does going to a doctor guarantee any kind of outcome? Is chemotherapy deterministic? In both cases absolutely not. You may have cancer or something else, if you do it may be treatable or not, if not it may still go into remission. If it is treatable you may not respond well.

But if we take 10,000 people with cancer symptoms and have them go to the doctor, and 10,000 others with similar symptoms who ignore modern medicine entirely, which group do you expect will have better outcomes?
The basic problem remains that, since God cannot be measured or controlled
If God answers prayers differently when people are recording the results than he does when no one is, that’s a measure of control.

And that’s how we know that going to a doctor is effective. Perhaps there is a better word than deterministic for the concept, but I was going for a cause and effect relationship. Notwithstanding the fact that the only guarantee when it comes to health is that someday we will all die.
Code:

Last edited:
Fair enough and yes that makes more sense.

That said the flipside isn’t saying God performs on command. Someone used a ‘slot machine’ analogy higher up so I’ll expand on that.

So ultimately a slot machine is down to the laws of chance, implemented either mechanically or digitally, but there’s rules behind it. In addition the vast majority of people who play them lose. But if you study enough people who play, eventually you’d find the average ‘winnings’ of each player to be > $0 at least. Now compare that to a control group of people who don’t play slot machines, their average is of course $0, so no matter what the rules of the slot machine are, if the slot machine is working as claimed you can see that difference numerically.

Now I get what people are saying, God isn’t a machine, he doesn’t follow ‘rules’ the same way a slot machine does. Many prayers may seem to go completely unanswered (or where the answer is ‘no’), similar in effect though not cause to the slot machine’s many ‘losers’. The question becomes should we be able to see the effect of prayer in large enough numbers.

To me this hinges on a couple key questions:

Does God intercede in the ‘natural’ course of life based on prayer?
If yes, does God disguise these actions?
If no to the above, are God’s actions in our world distinguishable from random chance?

And like many things in life I’d not suggest we can claim any specific act is due to God’s specific response to prayer, but in large enough groups of people, if prayer works, you should see some kind of difference.

And to expand on the above, I’m curious if those folks insisting God can’t be studied or tested feel the same when someone says God did respond to their prayers. It feels like the only time God can’t be tested is when someone suggests we should see a result and don’t. When someone’s cancer goes into remission, gets a promotion, or carries a football across a white line on the ground attributing that to God seems to go unchallenged.

That’s one reason why I don’t especially like the slot machine analogy. I generally use vending machine as it is a more direct quid pro quo situation. Which isn’t how prayer works of course.

And my personal opinion is that those who say that God answered their prayers may or may not be able to prove it in scientific terms, but it is similar to having faith in God in the first place. It is a reasonable position but not definitively provable.
Code:

Last edited:
Does God intercede in the ‘natural’ course of life based on prayer?
Just an observation, but it may simply be that this isn’t a rational question. Because it’s not that God doesn’t intercede in the “natural” order of things, it’s that God is constantly interceding in the natural order of things. In fact God may be the very reason that there’s an order to things in the first place. So it’s not that there are no miracles, it’s that every frickin’ things a miracle.

That there’s a hospital there at all is a miracle. That there are doctors, and nurses, and medicines at all is a miracle. In fact there are so many miracles that you don’t even recognize them. And it’s not that God only intercedes for those who are prayed for, He intercedes for everybody, but life is unfair and people die, and that’s as much a part of the miracle as everything else is.

We are alive, we love, and grieve, and suffer, and persevere, and that’s a miracle. The whole darn thing’s a miracle. So sure…pray, but have enough faith to accept the answer, even when it seems as though there isn’t one.

Dang, for a solipsist I sure don’t sound like one sometimes.

So it’s not that there are no miracles, it’s that every frickin’ things a miracle.
All fair points, to paraphrase another saying though, ‘if everything’s a miracle, nothing is’. I would say most often God appears to be presented as one who responds to prayer, so I took that as a presupposition in my argument. The ‘blind clockmaker’ argument of a God who set things in motion and then remained hands-off isn’t often presented here.

I generally use vending machine as it is a more direct quid pro quo situation. Which isn’t how prayer works of course.
It’s easily substituted though, we can even imagine a vending machine that due to some unknown internal condition is unpredictable in how it dispenses things. Often it dispenses nothing, sometimes it dispenses what you want, sometimes it dispenses something else entirely. But no matter how much or little we understand of how it works, or why it works, if pressing the buttons and making a request is in any way correlated with receiving something, enough data should show that in some way, it should show some difference between that and a control group of people who didn’t interact with the vending machine.

Now I’m pondering a scenario with a vending machine run by an advanced AI, making decisions based on thousands of criteria but no one knows how much it weighs each, and having to work it our based on results alone. I should call Google.

That would essentially be a slot machine that dispenses products instead of coins or chips. Let’s not invent new things that God isn’t like; there are plenty already. The point I was trying to make was that God is not a vending machine, not that prayer works like a randomly malfunctioning vending machine. Believe it or not, I do get what you are saying; that if there is a correlation between prayer and results we should be able to discover it by properly conducted and controlled experiments. But the real point is that God does what is best regardless of what we actually request, and that the point and purpose of prayer is not to get stuff or even help others, but to learn to focus on God rather than us.

Last edited:
All fair points, to paraphrase another saying though, ‘if everything’s a miracle, nothing is’. I would say most often God appears to be presented as one who responds to prayer, so I took that as a presupposition in my argument.
It’s not that they aren’t miracles, it’s just that they don’t look like miracles. They’re not what we expect from miracles. And it’s not that God doesn’t respond to prayer, it’s that He responds to every prayer. He doesn’t pick and choose. So in the course of human events some things will look miraculous, but most things won’t. They’ll look, well…natural.

So maybe that’s the problem, people are expecting big flamboyant miracles, so that they can go hey look, that proves there’s a God. That proves I’m right. But maybe God isn’t quite so ostentatious. And maybe He doesn’t really care to prove that you’re right.

Maybe people should just get over the fact that “nature” can do some pretty miraculous things, and God doesn’t need to prove anything, although some people might wish that He would. So you can treat it all as natural, or treat it all as a miraculous, it’s up to you. To me personally, I think that it’s pretty darn incredible either way.

But the real point is that God does what is best regardless of what we actually request, and that the point and purpose of prayer is not to get stuff or even help others, but to learn to focus on God rather than us.
If God and prayer were more consistently presented that way I don’t think this discussion would even be happening, I honestly think your view is the much more likely to be true version, and it’s much more consistent with God’s other attributes. Ironically, if God always does what’s best, then we’d predict no correlation between prayer and outcomes, and given that’s what we see it arguably supports the point, or at least doesn’t contradict it and is entirely compatible. Essentially in my line of questions above, the answer to ‘are God’s responses to prayer distinguishable from chance?’ may in fact be ‘no’, since there’s simply no way to determine what is or isn’t, or as lelinator suggested, it’s just all God. I think the issue especially to an outsider is that prayer absolutely looks like asking for things; bless this person, help that person, lift up the surgeon operating on Nana tomorrow so he does a good job. The serenity prayer feels like an outlier, as it’s about imparting the speaker with courage, peace and wisdom, it’s internal if nothing else.

I’ve actually always appreciated the line in, of all places, A Knight’s Tale.

"God save you, if it is right that He should do so. "

So maybe that’s the problem, people are expecting big flamboyant miracles, so that they can go hey look, that proves there’s a God. That proves I’m right. But maybe God isn’t quite so ostentatious. And maybe He doesn’t really care to prove that you’re right.
I don’t think so, finding lost car keys is a miracle if you’re late for something and inclined to believe in miracles.

Some posters seem unaware of what has been proven about the Holy Shroud by science, and seem to be relying on the sensationalist tales of newspapers.

The Shroud was extant in the 6th century as proven by the congruity of its image with images of Christ that are found on 6th century Byzantine gold coins. Prof. Fanti devotes a whole chapter to this proof in THE SHROUD OF TURIN, FIRST CENTURY AFRTER CHRIST!, 2nd edition, 2020.
In my opinion, and with all due respect, anyone who has not read this scientific analysis of the Shroud should not be misleading others by insisting that the Holy Shroud was produced in the middle ages… Fanti’s research falsifies the hypothesis that the Shroud’s C-14 evidence is indicative of a date.
This C-14 data is important, of course, but it must indicate something other than a date.

In 1978 a very intensive gathering of data on the Holy Shroud took place in Turin. After several years of analysis, the conclusion of the scientists was that they had found absolutely nothing that would preclude the cloth form being the 2000 year old burial shroud of Jesus. The team further concluded that the Shroud had actually been used to wrap a human corpse which bore the wounds of a scourging and crucifixion, and that the blood marks were really composed of blood. They could not offer any viable hypothesis as to how the Shroud’s image had been formed. They did say that the image was not a painting.

Prof. Fanti did a statistical analysis of the wounds shown on the corpse of the Shroud’s image and concluded that the chances of that corpse not being the body of Jesus were about one in a billion.

The anti-Pope Clement VII was the only pope ever to have contested the Shroud’s authenticity, and he obviously did this to mollify his bishop who was upset about his loss of revenue in Troyes due to the Shroud’s popularity in Lirey. Subsequent popes endorsed the Shroud as authentic, and the most definitive statement was made by Pius XI who researched the Shroud’s science and history for several years before stating that its image was absolutely not the work of a human hand.

Last edited:
After several years of analysis, the conclusion of the scientists was that they had found absolutely nothing that would preclude the cloth form being the 2000 year old burial shroud of Jesus.
There’s the radiocarbon testing that put its creation in the middle ages, which disputed, but those disputes then refuted. Could be why the Catholic Church declines to take an official stance on its authenticity. I’ll fully admit it would take a lot to convince me, but the church should be much easier to convince and they haven’t been it would seem.

The Church does not, as a matter of policy, endorse relics.

As I mentioned, Prof. Fanti’s research falsifies the hypothesis that the Shroud’s C-14 evidence is indicative of a date. Since the Shroud was extant in the 6th century, a 14th century radiocarbon date is obviously not correct even if the C-14 evidence seems to so indicate. That evidence must have another meaning. A popular hypothesis, now falsified, is that the Shroud was repaired in the corner where the C-14 sample was taken. A hypothesis which has not been falsified is that the Shroud was, at some point in its life, subjected to a neutron flux. Prof. Ruckers research into the C-14 data makes the conclusion that this data is consistent with such a flux emanating from the corpse.

Last edited:
Since the Shroud was extant in the 6th century, a 14th century radiocarbon date is obviously not correct even if the C-14 evidence seems to so indicate.
Or the piece of cloth we call the shroud now isn’t the same piece they had in the 6th century.

Please don’t turn this into another thread discussing the shroud…there are plenty already in existence!

Back to prayers…

I marvel at the stories of someone praying for a parking spot to open and then one does. I think most reasonable people would realize that God doesn’t really do that and coincidence does happen…but, from the viewpoint of the one asking for that spot and it happens, are they not going to call it a small miracle and God listening to them?

We all tend to forget the No answers and strongly remember the Yes ones. Once I realized how biased I was in God answering my prayers while forgetting all the failures…I paid attention. I never thought my prayers were really answered again. Was that because of my awareness or because God never answered any…I just gave Him some credit not due?

I think the advantage of prayer is when there is nothing we mere humans can do except pray…it gives us the feeling that we’re doing something…even if it changes nothing.

I realize many people find comfort and strength in prayer and I’m happy they get a benefit. To me, it was wasted time and effort and I was pleased to get that time back in my life.

I recall a mining accident in the States some years back. A few miners were missing. Prayers were said at the mine head. And then news came though that they were safe. And people were naturally exultant, their prayers had been answered and it was God’s will that they had survived.

But it was a tragic mistake and they had been found - but all dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back