Good "Catholic" Movies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeluvdLily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to watch a funny movie with a Catholic theme in it, then I would recomend The Trouble with Angels. It’s an older movie with Haley Mills in it.
Other movies that have Catholic themes in them are The Bells of St Marys, The Miracle of the Bells, and I think Boys Town might also be one.
Like everyone else said, you really should try The Passion. It’s a beautiful movie.
 
susie g.:
Also, you should see “The Mission” and “Oscar”, I loved them both. Oscar is about Bishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador. I saw it as a protestant, and would love to see it again, now, as a Catholic.
Do you mean “Romero?” The one with Raul Julia? He came back to the Church as a result of making this movie. One of my favorites, but the all time best is “A Man for All Seasons.” I’m with Stubble, when Saint Thomas launches into his final statement in the trial, I can only imagine that like Saint Stephen, he’s already seeing the Face of Jesus.
 
40.png
JKirkLVNV:
Do you mean “Romero?” The one with Raul Julia? He came back to the Church as a result of making this movie. One of my favorites, but the all time best is “A Man for All Seasons.” I’m with Stubble, when Saint Thomas launches into his final statement in the trial, I can only imagine that like Saint Stephen, he’s already seeing the Face of Jesus.
Yes, it is “Romero”. Sorry about that. My bad.
 
40.png
JKirkLVNV:
Do you mean “Romero?” The one with Raul Julia? He came back to the Church as a result of making this movie. One of my favorites, but the all time best is “A Man for All Seasons.” I’m with Stubble, when Saint Thomas launches into his final statement in the trial, I can only imagine that like Saint Stephen, he’s already seeing the Face of Jesus.
I bet she did mean *Romero *😃 . But *Oscar *(Touchstone 1991; Sylvester Stallone, Marisa Tomei; MPAA PG USCCB A-II) is a much under-rated comedy, if not particularly Catholic (I see the cast does include Don Ameche as “Father Clemente” however)

tee
 
susie g.:
Yes, it is “Romero”. Sorry about that. My bad.
Oh, no worries. We just want to make sure people get the correct title so they can get the movie. I think the Paulists made it.
 
“Edges of the Lord” - found it in a local Blockbuster
“Quo Vadis”
“Lord of the Rings”
“Chronicles of Narnia”
 
For those who are scared to watch the Passion of the Christ: Consider watching it as a sacrifice of love for Jesus to better understand His suffering for us. He went through it for us, so why would we not want to understand this gift better? It will also make praying the Sorrowful Mysteries much easier. Think of it as a meditation rather than an entertaining movie.
 
CatholicSam said:
For those who are scared to watch the Passion of the Christ: Consider watching it as a sacrifice of love for Jesus to better understand His suffering for us. He went through it for us, so why would we not want to understand this gift better? It will also make praying the Sorrowful Mysteries much easier. Think of it as a meditation rather than an entertaining movie.

This is the way I felt about it…I know people who did not go, because they were afraid of the violence; I said that the way I fgured it, was: If He could do that for me, the very least I could do was to watch.
One of the most moving things, IMHO, was the actress who played Mary. She was extraordinary, & watching her, just made my heart break…
 
A great Catholic movie is
THE MIRACLE OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA,
made in 1952. You can find it at amazon.com

I absolutely adore this movie.

Love,
Jaypeeto3
 
1996 documentary called Audrey’s Life (or Life of Audrey?)

Exorcism of Emily Rose
 
There is another one about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. It is in English and it stars Lorne Green and a few other famous actors. However I cannot remember the name of the the movie
The name of the movie is “A Time for Miracles” with Kate Mulgrew, Lorne Greene and John Forsythe. It is distributed by Vision Video in DVD format.

The Passion was released a second time and Mel Gibson edited out some of the scourging. Personally, it is such a masterpiece I wouldn’t have cut a single frame. The moment which touched me was when Jesus was being interrogated by the Sandhedrin and a tear ran down his cheek because they refused to believe Him. If you pray the Sorrowful Mysteries this movie will boost your meditation. When someone asks you, “Where you there?” you will answer “Yes.” it is just so absolutely convincing one doesn’t passively watch this movie one actively participates.

By the way, has anyone mentionned “The Robe”?
 
Nobody has brought up “The Agony and the Ecstasy”.

Pope Julius II: “When will you make and end?”
Michaelangelo: “When I am finished!”

My wife and I play that dialogue out all the time. I never seem to be able to get projects done around the house. 😉

And since I always like a good old biblical epic, I suggest Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments as well.
 
You know (not to beat a dead horse) but I am fairly certain that nowhere is the Gibson character’s faith named in Signs. Also, one of the characters asks him to hear her confession and I am under the impression that confession is no longer a part of modern Anglican practice…

on www.leafletonline.com they have most if not all of the above-mentioned DVDs.

One of the movies is called One Man’s Hero and it is about Irish Catholic soldier’s in the Mexican American War. They end up switching sides because the Americans were such anti-Catholic bigots. HA! Imagine fighting for religious freedom against America. Anyway, I haven’t seen it yet and I am wondering if it is worth buying. Anybody seen it?

I am also wondering about Padre on Horseback staring Ricardo “Revenge is best served cold and it is very cold … in spaaaace” Montalban and the voice of Fulton Sheen. Any opinions?
 
Thanks for such a great response! Being new to Catholicism, DH and I can’t get enough of watching these kind of movies. It’s going to take some time to get through all of these!

Amie
 
40.png
Jaypeeto3:
A great Catholic movie is
THE MIRACLE OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA,
made in 1952. You can find it at amazon.com

I absolutely adore this movie.

Love,
Jaypeeto3
Yes!! This is a wonderful movie! My mom loved this film so much…She was so deeply impressed by the way the children were portrayed, especially.
 
Lilies of the Field (1963)

Sidney Poitier won the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role for this film.
 
*The Passion; Its a Wonderful Life; The Robe; Quo Vadis; *are all exceptional.

My all time favorite - is A Man For All Seasons. I watch it every Christmas. I helps me put everything in perspective.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top