Good "Catholic" Movies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeluvdLily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mentioned, “Shoes of the Fisherman”? I think movies don’t get anymore Catholic than that.

All eyes are focused on the Vatican, hoping to see the traditional puffs of white smoke that signal the selection of the next Pope. But this time, much more is at stake. The new pontiff may be the only person who can bring peace to a world hovering on the edge of nuclear nightmare. Year: 1968 Director: Michael Anderson Starring: Anthony Quinn, Oskar Werner, David Janssen, Vittorio De Sica, Leo McKern, Sir John Gielgud
 
"The Robe"
The movie’s message snuck up on me and hit me with a big impact. Amazing…
 
Here are my picks:

Brother Sun Sister Moon - Despite the fact that I’m portrayed as a flower-child in it, and I never get to wear the Poor Clare habit. How sad!

Flowers of St. Francis

Le Choriste- "The Chorus"

Diary of a Country Priest

Brideshead Revisited

I Confess

March of the Penguins- Very Pro-Life, in a way

Babette’s Feast

In This House of Brede

Ever After: A Cinderalla Story

Bright Young Things

Phantom of the Opera

Nosferatu- the 1922 Silent version

Russian Ark

Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2- Nice vocation theme

Black Narcissus

Godspell

The Godfather Trilogy
 
Well I helped make a movie called Grace its about a Catholic student with ambitions for the priesthood who faces a life altering tragedy which tests his faith. It got a good response, it sells through amazon.com here is the link:

astore.amazon.com/sadeerfarjogu-20

Also you should check out movies by Ignatius Press they usually do a really nice job!! ignatius.com
 
In terms of films with prolife (if not overtly Catholic) messages -* Juno* is one.

Another interesting one is called (I believe) Children of Men - stars Clive Owen, Julianne Moore and Michael Caine. About a future world where humans have become sterile - incapable of having children - for some unknown reason.
 
Recently, my family and I have watched ‘Faith Like Potatoes’, ‘Fireproof’, ‘Flywheel’, and ‘Facing The Giants’ together, and have felt inspired by them. Unfortunately (for us) we don’t have a Catholic book shop in our town, so the Christian movies we watch are all about Protestants and their take on Christianity. Can anyone recommend any good Catholic family movies out there for us all? Thanks. 🙂
 
“The Great Raid” is excellent.

it’s a war film, about an American raid of a POW camp in the Philipines, during the tail end of WWII.

very, very good film. very sad and realistic, well acted, and very positive and edifying portrayals of Catholic / Christian faith.

“The Mission” was also excellent. very sad, and well acted, too.
 
Hi,

Could you please help me?
I’m searching for an Italian film, I’ve seen years ago. It is about a young priest of noble origins who is sent to a small country village as a punishment because of his modern thoughts (the story is set before the II. Vaticanum). He tries to helps the countrymen with all his strenght, and though he confronts them several times, he succeeds as well. As the story goes on he turns out to be fatally ill.
I don’ t remember more, but it was a very moving film and I like to watch it again.

Thank you for your help!🙂

Maybe this is not the proper place to ask, but I’m new… 😊
Julia
 
I haven’t read the whole thread, but a very sweet romance with Catholic themes is Miracle in the Rain (1956), starring Jane Wyman and Van Johnson. I’d never heard of it before my wife and I came across it on TCM a few months ago. The first two thirds have no obvious connection with religion, but stick with it. The script and acting are first rate as well.

.
 
One that I’ve only recently seen for the first time, and fallen in love with, is Becket, about the life of St Thomas Becket, starring Peter O’Toole and Richard Burton. I love O’Toole as Henry II especially, even though he’s physically completely wrong for the role.

Interesting take on the life of Becket, who started out as thoroughly secular and very much supporting the King in his disagreements with the Church in England - but had a thorough change of heart when appointed Archbishop of Canterbury (head of the English Church).
 
“The Mission” was also excellent. very sad, and well acted, too.
The Mission is a fantastic movie. That’s one of my favorites! And although its sad, there’s an ultimate optimism to it, in a kind of strange way.
 
This is a collection of Catholics Saints movies I’ve made over the last month’s:

cineparacatolicos.blogspot.com/2008/11/pelculas-sobre-santos.html

All the articles are in spanish but I think you can watch there and the search in Google for them. I’m still working to add more, so if anyone know’s more… help me to put them there.
  1. Monsieur Vincent - Sobre Vicente de Paúl
    2. The Song of Bernadette - Sobre Bernadette Soubirous
    3. Thérèse (2004) - Sobre Teresa de Lisieux
    4. Therese (1989) - Sobre Teresa de Lisieux
    5. Faustyna - Santa María Faustina Kowalska
    6. Brother Sun, Sister Moon - San Francisco de Asis
    7. Francesco - San Francisco de Asis
    8. Francis of Assis - San Francisco de Asis
    9. The Flowers of St. Francis - San Francisco de Asis
  2. The passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - Juana de Arco
  3. Joan of Arc (1948) - Juana de Arco
  4. Don Bosco - Juan Bosco
  5. Crónica de un hombre Santo (1990) - San Alberto Hurtado
  6. Maximilian: Saint of Auschwitz (1995) - San Maximilano
  7. Our God’s Brother (1997) - San Albert Chmielowski
  8. Maria Goretti (2003) - Santa María Goretti
  9. Teresa de Jesús (1984) - Santa Teresa de Jesús
  10. San Ignacio de Loyola (1948) - San Ignacio de Loyola
  11. Fray Escoba (1961) - San Martín de Porres
  12. Fray Martín de Porres (2006) - San Martín de Porres
  13. Padre Pío (2000) - San Pío de Pietrelcina
  14. Sor Teresa de los Andes (1989) - Santa Teresa de los Andes
  15. Alberto: ¿Quién Sabe Cuánto Cuesta Hacer un Ojal? (2005) San Alberto Hurtado
  16. St. Giuseppe Moscati: Doctor to the Poor (2007)
  17. Una Cosa In Mente (2007)
  18. A Man for all Seasons (1988)
  19. Becket (1964)
  20. A Man For All Seasons (1966)
  21. El Cura Brochero (1941)
  22. Two Suitcases: The Story Of St. Josephine Bakhita (2000)
  23. Antonio guerriero di Dio (2006)
  24. La Settima Stanza (1995)
  25. Rita da Cascia (2004)
 
Temple Grandin…no she is not Catholic. Her religion doesn’t come into the story. But it is a true story of an autistic woman who first spoke after the age of four and, after many trials, was graduated from college in the 1960s with a degree in husbandry. Her love for cattle drove her to develop changes in the cattle industry. She became a spokesperson for those who are autistic. She later received a Phd in science.
Absolutely wonderful and very moving. Her whole story is amazing. It is on HBO. A must for the family with kids junior high and up.
 
My all time favorite Christian Catholic movies of all time is gotta be
1- EL CID - Charlton Heston
2- COUNT OF MOTE CHRISTO - Jim Caviezel
3- GRAND TORINO - Clint Eastwood
4- THE PASSION - Jim Caviezel

👍
 
There are some GREAT films on this list. Has anyone mentioned “The Miracle of Marcelino” yet, or did I miss it? Very good!

As a Latin American historian, let me again reiterate how good “The Mission” is, from both a Catholic AND an historical standpoint. It also has one of the great soundtracks of all time.

I’m glad someone brought up The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well, since they are MOST DEFINITELY Catholic, and written with deep Catholic themes and analogy.

“Rudy” will make you cry EVERY time!

“Jesus of Nazareth” is one of the best and most accurate movies about the life of Jesus ever made, and how can ANYONE not like “The Ten Commandments”?

Also, has anyone mentioned “Bella” yet?

And here’s the National Catholic Register’s list of the top 100 pro-Catholic movies of all time:
ncregister.com/info/top_100_pro_catholic_movies/
 
A good documentary is Into Great Silence

*Padre Pio: Miracle Man * …subtitles but excellent film.

Therese

Ben Hur


*The Ten Commandments *
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top