Good "Catholic" Movies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeluvdLily
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t believe people on here actually put on their profiles “cafeteria catholic” like they are proud of it. Are you serious? Don’t you get it? It’s our faith…let’s live it!
Maybe such persons are just being honest with themselves and trying to grow in faith. Or maybe not but I wouldn’t rush into conclusions;)
 
Maybe such persons are just being honest with themselves and trying to grow in faith. Or maybe not but I wouldn’t rush into conclusions;)
People like to express their opinions on here. It’s what happens in forums. I’m expressing mine.

Now let’s stick with the subfect matter of the OP, shall we? 😉
 
When searching for “good” catholic movies one has to search for Catholic Saint’s Movies. There are like 30 movies, without all the Joan of Arc (Alone has 20 or 25) about catholic saints. Some are really good, like A Man for all Seasons, the 1966 version and the 1988 version, anothers are just blasphemy, like the one about Saint Sebastiane, and there are quite a few that are regullary good.

You can watch a list here:

Movies About Catholic Saint. ← Article on my blog

I would really like if you can leave a comment, like,Why did you put that movie, you have to tell people not to see it? or You should add this movie or documentary to the article.

Thanks, I can’t do it alone, so I pray for help, need direction and comments, and it seems that latin american people are lazy.
 
Noelle and Bella are the last really good movies I saw. Cried at the end of both. :rolleyes::D:thumbsup:
 
One more I forget is “Lillies of the Field”…most of the rest I’ve seen way too much. Oh there’s also “Brother Sun, Sister Moon”
 
A good documentary is Into Great Silence

*Padre Pio: Miracle Man * …subtitles but excellent film.

Therese

Ben Hur


*The Ten Commandments *
Into Great Silence…nice photography but I would have liked an explanation of the motivation re. the life style. Realize the monks don’t talk but needed someone talking about the monks’ way of life…IMO 🙂 An hour plus of silence is a lot of silence for a movie.
 
Into Great Silence…nice photography but I would have liked an explanation of the motivation re. the life style. Realize the monks don’t talk but needed someone talking about the monks’ way of life…IMO 🙂 An hour plus of silence is a lot of silence for a movie.
I think it was more of a reflective, contemplative documentary. Something that would prompt the viewer to want to find out more about the order. At least that’s what I got from it. Definitely a lot of silence for three hours. 😉
 
Into Great Silence…nice photography but I would have liked an explanation of the motivation re. the life style. Realize the monks don’t talk but needed someone talking about the monks’ way of life…IMO 🙂 An hour plus of silence is a lot of silence for a movie.
Please, no. For one thing there were a good two decades of excellent silent movies before sound-on-film even became possible, so silence is more than acceptable for a movie.

More importantly, an hour plus of someone talking about living in silence is an entirely different beast to an hour plus of EXPERIENCING what it is to live in that silence. The latter is clearly the point of the movie. It’s the closest thing most of us will ever come to visiting or living in a monastery such as the one depicted, and people DO visit them particularly because of the silence. So please don’t deny people that experience.

If there’s one thing this world doesn’t need it’s more chatter under the guise of ‘explanation’, whether it’s about living in silence or anything else.

I’m sure there are plenty of other resources about the order of monks depicted in the film and their lifestyle that you can explore if you’re interested. For that matter there are probably docos about the making of the movie itself out there if you want to look for 'em.
 
I think it was more of a reflective, contemplative documentary. Something that would prompt the viewer to want to find out more about the order. At least that’s what I got from it. Definitely a lot of silence for three hours. 😉
Hmmm. Thought the movie was an hour or so. Must have fallen asleep. :sleep:🙂
 
The Scarlet and the Black.(1983) A very good movie with Gregory Peck as Father Hugh O’ Flaherty, the Vatican priest who hid downed pilots during World War II. Christopher Plummer played the Nazi general. A true story.
God Bless,
Colmcille1.🙂
 
One I highly recommend is The Gospel of John. It’s a word for word retelling of the Gospel of St. John and is narrated by Christopher Plummer. The only downside to it is that it uses a more modern translation of the Gospel. There’s nothing wrong with the translation and the language used, it just sounds slightly more modern in some places. The other flaw is that it shows Mary Magdalene at the Last Supper. At the beginning of the scene, she is shown serving Jesus and the other Apostles by bring food and drink to the table, then she’s just seen in the background. In the Gospel of John, there is no mention of the Eucharist so there is no establishment of the priest hood, this is left out so it merely shows Mary listening to Jesus’ sermon that he gives.
 
I would also recommend Angels with Dirty Faces (1938). Basic plot: A priest tries to stop a gangster from corrupting a group of street kids. James Cagney is the gangster while Pat O’Brien is the priest. Also look for Humphrey Bogart in a supporting role. Great performances and an ending which will leave you with some good questions to ponder.
 
The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman (1957). A beautifully shot haunting tale of a Crusading Knight (Max von Sydow) who strikes a bargain with Death on the basis of a game of chess.
 
I second the person who said Where Angels Go Trouble Follows and The Trouble with Angels, really good movies! I also like the Ten Commandments, Jesus Of Nazareth, Joan of Arc, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima, The Quiet Man, les miserables (somewhat) and The Song of Bernadette, to name a few. . . 🙂
 
Also “Moses” is really good. There are a lot of really good videos about other bible characters as well, David and Goliath, King David, Daniel in the Lion’s Den (1979), Jonah and the Whale (1992), (the animated stories of the bible is a good series for children Elisha (2005) is great) For more movie info visit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_the_Bible (this includes tv series)
 
I didn’t know what to expect when I watched Ingmar Bergman’s “The Virgin Spring”. It’s set in medieval Sweden and is a story of lost innocence, revenge and redemption.
 
I just saw the film “Of Gods and Men” today, about the French Cistercian martyrs in Algeria. It was very well done, and quite respectful of both the Catholic monks and their Muslim neighbors in the village. A very moving film, I’m glad I saw it.
 
I’ve got to reiterate what previous people have said before: The Passion of the Christ is a definite must see for any Catholic. I’m not sure about children watching it, but I remember when I watched it at the ripe old age of 18 (haha), it really had a profound effect on me.

I remember falling to my knees in front of the TV, crying my eyes out. That movie put the picture of Christ’s death in my heart. To this day, I can’t say the Sorrowful Mysteries without envisioning Him looking at me. Before I go to confession, I try to see that face… it reminds me that I’m not going to confession because I’m obligated, I’m doing it because I have offended Someone that is deserving all of my love and it is the least I can do to repay Him.

The Narnia movies, albeit not “Catholic” per se, are a must for adults and children alike.

“I knew it was you, the whole time I knew it… but the others didn’t believe me…”

“And why would that stop you from coming to me?”

youtube.com/watch?v=l3LuS3armAc

Advice we could all use, if you ask me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top