Great Catholic Magazines

• Thread starter Thread starter milimac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milimac

What are some good Catholic magazines that you recommend?

Here are my favorites:
  • First Things – Sometimes a stretch for my vocabulary, but good essays on Christian religious topics, especially religion in the public square – a very important issue today, book reviews, and poetry. This is not specifically Catholic although many of the articles are written by Catholics and many of the non-Catholic Christian contributers are also interested in a more ordered society and public life where religious convictions aren’t something to be ashamed of. Especially love “The Public Square” written by Fr. Richard John Neuhaus
  • LayWitness – A publication of Catholics United for the Faith (CUF). Good articles on orthodox Catholic teaching, many of them short so you can read an article before heading off to work.
  • This Rock – A publication of ours truly, Catholic Answers (you knew that). Similar to LayWitness – Apologetical, orthodox, easy to read and understand articles.

Crisis - gotta love Deal Hudson and Ralph McInerny and the rest of the Funkee Fresh Crisis Crew.

I usually like “Latin Mass Magazine,” though it sometimes seems to lean to the schismatic side a bit. Its pictures make good eye-candy, though.

This is a link to Catholic Exchange’s reccomended reading, which I agree with. catholicexchange.com/mn/

I also agree that This Rock is an indispensable resource. It isn’t inexpensive, but it is 110% worth it!!

Oh, and don’t subscribe to US Catholic. ( It is very…shall we say… “progressive” )

Along the same lines as First Things (which I also highly recommend) is Touchstone. A little bit more ecumenical than F.T.–articles by Catholic and non-Catholic–but quite orthodox and thought-provoking.

Since milimac brought up this subject, I have a question about Envoy Magazine. I subscribed to Envoy back in December 2003. I received my first issue in January, loved it, and never received another. My question is – has anyone else had this expreience and/or is Envoy in financial dificulty? I hope not. And yes, Iknow, I need to follow up with Envoy.

Yah, Envoy’s delivery rate is quite sporadic. Sometimes the interval is three months.

I subscribe to *Envoy *(whenever it arrives!), This Rock, First Things, and National Catholic Register. (Steer clear of *America *and National Catholic Reporter – way too much questionable stuff!)

'thann

Although it’s not a magazine, *The National Catholic Register * is an excellent weekly newspaper. ncregister.com/current/

I also highly recommend the free daily e-mail from Zenit. It’s great journalism straight from Rome to your e-mail box; you’ll know what the Holy Father did that day, get copies of his speeches, and get worldwide coverage of Church and cultural issues of the day. Zenit also offers a daily collection of articles (rassegna) from newspapers around the world, but these are in their original languages: Spanish, Italian, German, French, and English. There’s also a weekly edition that examines an issue or two in depth. zenit.org/english/

I second the suggested First Things. Fr. Richard Neuhaus’ “The Public Square” is a gem. firstthings.com/

I read Crisis and This Rock cover-to-cover every month – both are good magazines. I used to get Cathoic World Report, but now I have an online subcription to www.cwnews.com , which includes a one-month-delayed online edition of CWR.

There are others that sound good, but I don’t think I can afford anymore right now!

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
I usually like “Latin Mass Magazine,” though it sometimes seems to lean to the schismatic side a bit. Its pictures make good eye-candy, though.
Given what I’ve usually thought eye-candy to mean, I can’t imagine how this would fit into a Latin Mass context.

40.png
bquinnan:
Given what I’ve usually thought eye-candy to mean, I can’t imagine how this would fit into a Latin Mass context.
Latin Mass magazine features lovely traditional Catholic artwork.

40.png
NickFrance:
Since milimac brought up this subject, I have a question about Envoy Magazine. I subscribed to Envoy back in December 2003. I received my first issue in January, loved it, and never received another. My question is – has anyone else had this expreience and/or is Envoy in financial dificulty? I hope not. And yes, Iknow, I need to follow up with Envoy.
All I can tell you is that about four years ago I tried to subscribe to envoy magazine with an online subsciption form. I got a confirmation email thanking me and telling me my delivery would begin soon. I never got a single issue and my credit card never got billed. I never bothered to follow up on what happened and i never tried to subscribe again.

I recently received a solicitation for St. Anthony Messenger. Based on what I saw at the website, it doesn’t appear to be objectionable like some magazines previously mentioned. Would I be correct in characterizing it as more “fluffy” than magazines like This Rock and First Things? Are there other light reads you would suggest?

Faith and Family faithandfamilymag.com/– is a great, orthodox magazine for families. There are always wonderful ideas for how tocelebrate Feast Days and Holy Days. For example, the current issue gave the idea of having a birthday cake on Pentecost and celbrating the birthday of the Church…

And Magnificat magnificat.net/- is just an awesome publication. It is so nice to have the daily Mass readings and reflections together with the beautiful artwork!

Steve Grondin:
I recently received a solicitation for St. Anthony Messenger. Based on what I saw at the website, it doesn’t appear to be objectionable like some magazines previously mentioned. Would I be correct in characterizing it as more “fluffy” than magazines like This Rock and First Things? Are there other light reads you would suggest?
CAtholic Digest is a lighter read… here’s what’s in the current issue:catholicdigest.org/currentissue.asp

I currently subscribe to This Rock and Catholic Digest. Of course, I love This Rock, but Catholic Digest has got to go. I will not renew that one. They post many articles that are not faithful to our faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back