P
PRmerger
Guest
What we did with our older 19yr old DD is what we are doing with 16yr old DD. We were very judicious about what #1 was exposed to as far as media goes, but when she went to college this past year, she was on her own.Well, of course she’s 16 and trying to have her own way. She understands why you don’t want her to see the movie, but she wants to try out her own decisions? You’re probably not going to like me after this, but I would give her a little more freedom to make that kind of decision. At 16, she’s 2 years away from college.
So far, #1 has made great choices about what movies to watch, as far as I can tell.
On a different note,
She’s in Europe now for 6 weeks, where it is legal for her to drink alcohol at age 19, and she has been at the bars there and has drunk alcohol. Now, while I’m not jumping for joy at the pictures of her on Facebook at a bar with a cerveza in her hand, I am not worried* about her choices. Because, I think, we laid a great foundation for her before she left.
And that’s because, partly, I think we were very conservative about what she was exposed to in the media until she left for college.
*well, maybe just a little worried about having a 19yr old girl an ocean away on her own (with her college, but still on her own).