S
schaeffer
Guest
This was during the 70’s, basically that entire decade when I was attending school/Mass in that parish. It was done every year, and I was extremely troubled and confused by this part of the ceremony.
To tell you the truth, I’m as confused by that whole scenario as you are! While I have no real problem with the prayer, or with the practice of devoting oneself to Mary, but, I do have a bit of a problem with the actions of the Priests. They do seem to be more than a little bizarre to me. I suppose I have to ask, what time period are we talking about, here? I know that during the 70s and 80s there was a wide variety of ‘free spirit’ interpretations of what was considered to be appropriate practices in the Church, in the aftermath of the Vat II changes (mostly due to gross misinterpretations of what some of those changes really meant). But, I have never heard of that particular ceremony, before.
Typically, during the month of May, there are many special ceremonies connected with Mary, because the whole month is dedicated to her. I know there are some that include her crowning as Queen of Heaven, but I don’t recall any being quite as extreme as that one. But, your description of it even made me uncomfortable. Some cultures often have different traditions and ways of expressing their Catholic Faith, so it’s possible this might have been a normal one for that particular church, but it sure sounds a bit over the top to me. So, I don’t really know how to respond to that one.![]()
My mother has always had a statue of the Virgin, and we picked and brought flowers from the field or garden for her. She held a spot in the kitchen where we all passed her many times a day, a true member of the family.
I never even considered there could be anything questionable about devotion to the Blessed Virgin until I began to attend those May Crownings.
