Happy 100th birthday, Thomas Merton

  • Thread starter Thread starter christofirst
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall that his conversion was assisted by art, catechized through masterpieces.
 
“But when we act according to grace, our actions are not ours alone, they belong to God. If we follow them to their source, we will become at least potentially capable of an experience of God. For His actions in us reveal His being in us. The whole of life is to spiritualize our activities by humility and faith, to silence our nature by charity.”
Code:
                                                                     from *Thoughts in Solitude*
I am loving this thread. Thank you Christofirst for starting it and for your subsequent posts. Thanks to all others too. Gertie, follow your conscience and the Spirit’s leading. We are all following the same blessed Lord Jesus Christ and are brothers and sisters, as you know.

Another aside: When you listen to Merton on audio, you are struck by the amount of laughter and intimate fellowship he has with his audience. Doesn’t matter if he is talking to novices of Gethsemani or nuns on retreat. Merton opened his heart and left it beat for all to see, in his life and in his writings. That type of authentic living will always raise suspicions within the magisterial halls that strive to protect orthodoxy. It may also be the reason why Merton is so loved, even today, among those of us who have been touched by the Spirit within him.
 
I don’t trust the Catholic Answers article on Thomas Merton very much as they distort much of what he wrote, through their authors own misunderstanding.

During his time, Thomas Merton, like other leaders of Contemplative Orders, followed the request of Pope Paul VI that they begin dialogue with the spiritual masters of Eastern Religions, in order to understand why young Catholics were leaving the Church, for the East.

This is why Thomas Merton became well versed in Buddhism and wrote about the parallels found in Christianity, but also the differences. Some Catholics can’t handle this approach, …fine, it wasn’t written for them in the first place.

He did not become a Buddhist and in fact, he never lost his faith in Jesus Christ or the Trappist Order which he served until his death.

The CAF author has problems because Merton used the word, “Mantra,” in describing repeated prayer, such as saying the Jesus Prayer or the Rosary. Fact is, used as they should be, they are for the same purpose as a mantra.

It’s the CAF author’s own misunderstanding and fear that a term that is not Catholic, like “Mantra,” was used. But it’s a misunderstanding of both the word mantra and interior prayer in the Catholic tradition.

As I stated before, all but I believe two works by Thomas Merton, had the Church’s Imprimatur.

You can trust Thomas Merton’s writings as much as you can Fulton Sheen’s.

Whether Merton’s works feed you spiritually or not, will depend on your own spiritual disposition.

Not everyone is meant to follow Merton’s works, just as not everyone is meant to follow Scott Hahn’s. These things are left up to following the will of God in your life and allowing him to bring you to where He knows you will be fed best.

Jim
 
I don’t trust the Catholic Answers article on Thomas Merton very much as they distort much of what he wrote, through their authors own misunderstanding.

During his time, Thomas Merton, like other leaders of Contemplative Orders, followed the request of Pope Paul VI that they begin dialogue with the spiritual masters of Eastern Religions, in order to understand why young Catholics were leaving the Church, for the East.

This is why Thomas Merton became well versed in Buddhism and wrote about the parallels found in Christianity, but also the differences. Some Catholics can’t handle this approach, …fine, it wasn’t written for them in the first place.

He did not become a Buddhist and in fact, he never lost his faith in Jesus Christ or the Trappist Order which he served until his death.

The CAF author has problems because Merton used the word, “Mantra,” in describing repeated prayer, such as saying the Jesus Prayer or the Rosary. Fact is, used as they should be, they are for the same purpose as a mantra.

It’s the CAF author’s own misunderstanding and fear that a term that is not Catholic, like “Mantra,” was used. But it’s a misunderstanding of both the word mantra and interior prayer in the Catholic tradition.

As I stated before, all but I believe two works by Thomas Merton, had the Church’s Imprimatur.

You can trust Thomas Merton’s writings as much as you can Fulton Sheen’s.

Whether Merton’s works feed you spiritually or not, will depend on your own spiritual disposition.

Not everyone is meant to follow Merton’s works, just as not everyone is meant to follow Scott Hahn’s. These things are left up to following the will of God in your life and allowing him to bring you to where He knows you will be fed best.

Jim
You bring up good points. Thank you, Jim, and thanks to everyone who responded here. Since he died so unexpectedly, it is entirely too easy to speculate about where Merton’s interest in Eastern religions might have taken him. As you say, the most persuasive indications I can see - his own actions and the testimony of those who actually knew him - lead me to believe Merton would have remained both a Catholic and a Cistercian. I am always struck by the tension in his life, a tension he freely chose to accept: He had so many interests, ideas, and aspirations, but he constantly sought to be obedient to his abbot. This theme seems to run through everything he did. It led to frustration at times, still he remained obedient to his religious superiors. But sadly, we will never know for sure, so speculation and mistrust will likely continue in some way or other.

And let’s be honest, a lot of people simply do not trust interreligious dialogue in general, so Merton’s legacy will always be viewed with suspicion by some.

Just an aside, when I first heard Merton’s voice in those tapes from his days as novice master, his voice and mannerisms reminded me a little of film director Martin Scorsese. They both employ a wry humor and a rapid-fire delivery indicative of a sharp mind firing on all cylinders.
 
And let’s be honest, a lot of people simply do not trust interreligious dialogue in general, so Merton’s legacy will always be viewed with suspicion by some.
Indeed, some people don’t trust interreligious dialogue, and some of us are just cautious with what we allow into our minds and souls.

OK, I don’t usually let someone else speak for me, but Dan Burke sums up my thoughts better than I could myself in his excellent post at SpiritualDirection.com. [Click the link to read the full (short) article.] He responds to a question about Thomas Merton and spiritual direction:
My advice (Dan speaking now)? The Church is in no way lacking in solid and perfectly trustworthy writings on the spiritual life. I personally don’t know why anyone would want to carefully sift through this kind of literature when it is clear that Merton had serious moral issues even during the his “orthodox” period. It seems a bit like sifting through the refuse at the back of a good restaurant. You will no doubt find much that is of nutritional value, he was indeed a talented writer, but why not just go take your seat at the table for the best and purest meals available? I would encourage you to stick with the spiritual doctors of the Church. To name a few, the writings of St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Catherine of Siena and St. Francis de Sales will more than meet your needs for spiritual guidance and you need not worry that you might be led down a path that leads away from the Heart of the Church.
PS: I recognize that many have found that, through Merton’s writings, they have grown to more fully love and serve Christ. My thoughts here don’t in any way deny that reality or possibility. My intent here is to answer the question asked by the reader. The fact that God uses many means and instruments, including very flawed instruments, to lead people to Himself is assumed and appreciated in a very personal
Guess I’m just not interested in being such a fanatic of any particular author – well, unless it’s JK Rowling or Rick Riordan 😃 I’m more interested in growing in holiness in a way I feel is safe from leading me astray. Loving Merton’s works as much as so many here – for ME at least – might lead me to so love the man behind them that I would move beyond his orthodox writings and into some dangerous gray areas. Been there, done that, not opening that door again 👍

God bless you!

Gertie
 
Indeed, some people don’t trust interreligious dialogue, and some of us are just cautious with what we allow into our minds and souls.

OK, I don’t usually let someone else speak for me, but Dan Burke sums up my thoughts better than I could myself in his excellent post at SpiritualDirection.com. [Click the link to read the full (short) article.] He responds to a question about Thomas Merton and spiritual direction:

Guess I’m just not interested in being such a fanatic of any particular author – well, unless it’s JK Rowling or Rick Riordan 😃 I’m more interested in growing in holiness in a way I feel is safe from leading me astray. Loving Merton’s works as much as so many here – for ME at least – might lead me to so love the man behind them that I would move beyond his orthodox writings and into some dangerous gray areas. Been there, done that, not opening that door again 👍

God bless you!

Gertie
Serious moral issues? Is good Mr. Burke talking sex here, or is he privy to some other knowledge about which he can only be vague? It is no secret that Merton fathered a child out of wedlock before his conversion, and that he had an affair with a woman later in life. The affair he did not seek out - he was in hospital and she was his nurse. In both cases, he was open and honest with his religious superiors, and with their blessing, he remained true to his vocation. In fact, everything he did - the writing, the traveling, etc. - was only done with the blessing of his religious superiors.

If you are scandalized by reading the words of people who have sinned, you had better stop reading any of my posts here, and the Bible too, for that matter. Heaven forbid either you or Mr. Burke should have to “sift through garbage” (what a disgusting way to put it!).

I’m not trying to win you over to Merton here. He stands on his own just fine without my help. If you like, I can start lots of other threads here about authors I admire, but some of them will likely trouble you as well. It just happened to be his 100th birthday, that’s all.
 
Nobody has to read Merton if he doesn’t appeal to them. Or comment on a thread that holds no intrinsic interest for them.

Thanks for reminding us that Thomas Merton was born a century ago, christofirst, and I liked that comparison to Martin Scorsese! Merton comes across in recordings as very quick-witted and an agile thinker, which must have helped him when he was working with novices.
 
I’m more interested in growing in holiness in a way I feel is safe from leading me astray.
And this is where we can use some reflection on what holiness is in our daily lives. I think this is where Merton excelled, inspiring that reflection.
 
Nobody has to read Merton if he doesn’t appeal to them. Or comment on a thread that holds no intrinsic interest for them.

Thanks for reminding us that Thomas Merton was born a century ago, christofirst, and I liked that comparison to Martin Scorsese! Merton comes across in recordings as very quick-witted and an agile thinker, which must have helped him when he was working with novices.
Now you see the reason for why you thought Merton might have been censored or banned here at CAF :o. Thanks for your kind words and insight :).
 
If you are scandalized by reading the words of people who have sinned, you had better stop reading any of my posts here, and the Bible too, for that matter. Heaven forbid either you or Mr. Burke should have to “sift through garbage” (what a disgusting way to put it!).
Wow, I never said anything about being scandalized by the writings of sinners, and my own past reads like something out of St. Augustine’s Confessions. It’s all grade, dude, it’s all grace. Just because I don’t fall in line with the pro-Merton group here, that’s no reason to start attacking my character.

As for why I ever bothered posting in this thread in the first place, well, it occurred to me that CAF is a place for open and respectful discussions, even with people you don’t agree with. Your thread prompted me to take a look at a man and his works that I had only previously associated with – how did I put it? – anti-Magisterium, pro-women-priests, pro-abortion Catholics.

Please be fair to me as well. Since first posting here, and because of the posts of others like you, I have done some research – outside of reading your own opinions. Sorry if not every Catholic theologian on the planet agrees with your assessment of Merton, but that’s hardly my fault 🤷 And what exactly Burke is referring to is none of my business, seeing as I’m not interested in researching any man’s sins. I also have read enough at this point to know that I won’t be reading any of Merton’s writings, any more than I’ll be searching out video recordings of John Corapi, or trying to figure out the state of his soul.

Because of my years of being first a cafeteria-Catholic, and then actually leaving the Church for some 14 years or so, I have a definite prejudice against Catholic spiritual writings that may – in any way – be misleading.

And before you jump all over me, let me make it clear that I rarely EVER read any spiritual writings by anyone other than Church-declared Saints. That’s my bias, and it’s also my strategy for protecting my mind and my soul. And whenever anyone asks me about good reading material, I always point out works by those same authors, without apology to current, more popular writers. 😛 I just wouldn’t want it on my soul if I recommended writings that are not backed by the Church and a holy life – because often, liking someone’s writings leads to wanting to know more about the person and wanting to emulate that person’s life. And in the spiritual life, because we are talking about matters of the soul and eternity, I just think there’s no room for playing around.

So with respect to all y’all, and praying that God has mercy on Merton’s soul (and all the faithful departed), I gotta get back to reading John, Teresa, and Augustine 👍

God bless you!

Gertie
 
Wow, I never said anything about being scandalized by the writings of sinners, and my own past reads like something out of St. Augustine’s Confessions. It’s all grade, dude, it’s all grace. Just because I don’t fall in line with the pro-Merton group here, that’s no reason to start attacking my character.

As for why I ever bothered posting in this thread in the first place, well, it occurred to me that CAF is a place for open and respectful discussions, even with people you don’t agree with. Your thread prompted me to take a look at a man and his works that I had only previously associated with – how did I put it? – anti-Magisterium, pro-women-priests, pro-abortion Catholics.

Please be fair to me as well. Since first posting here, and because of the posts of others like you, I have done some research – outside of reading your own opinions. Sorry if not every Catholic theologian on the planet agrees with your assessment of Merton, but that’s hardly my fault 🤷 And what exactly Burke is referring to is none of my business, seeing as I’m not interested in researching any man’s sins. I also have read enough at this point to know that I won’t be reading any of Merton’s writings, any more than I’ll be searching out video recordings of John Corapi, or trying to figure out the state of his soul.

Because of my years of being first a cafeteria-Catholic, and then actually leaving the Church for some 14 years or so, I have a definite prejudice against Catholic spiritual writings that may – in any way – be misleading.

And before you jump all over me, let me make it clear that I rarely EVER read any spiritual writings by anyone other than Church-declared Saints. That’s my bias, and it’s also my strategy for protecting my mind and my soul. And whenever anyone asks me about good reading material, I always point out works by those same authors, without apology to current, more popular writers. 😛 I just wouldn’t want it on my soul if I recommended writings that are not backed by the Church and a holy life – because often, liking someone’s writings leads to wanting to know more about the person and wanting to emulate that person’s life. And in the spiritual life, because we are talking about matters of the soul and eternity, I just think there’s no room for playing around.

So with respect to all y’all, and praying that God has mercy on Merton’s soul (and all the faithful departed), I gotta get back to reading John, Teresa, and Augustine 👍

God bless you!

Gertie
Instead of getting bent out of shape, please take note of the title of the thread.

It wasn’t open with the intention of trashing Fr Merton, but observing his 100th birthday.

Jim
 
Wow, I never said anything about being scandalized by the writings of sinners, and my own past reads like something out of St. Augustine’s Confessions. It’s all grade, dude, it’s all grace. Just because I don’t fall in line with the pro-Merton group here, that’s no reason to start attacking my character.

As for why I ever bothered posting in this thread in the first place, well, it occurred to me that CAF is a place for open and respectful discussions, even with people you don’t agree with. Your thread prompted me to take a look at a man and his works that I had only previously associated with – how did I put it? – anti-Magisterium, pro-women-priests, pro-abortion Catholics.

Please be fair to me as well. Since first posting here, and because of the posts of others like you, I have done some research – outside of reading your own opinions. Sorry if not every Catholic theologian on the planet agrees with your assessment of Merton, but that’s hardly my fault 🤷 And what exactly Burke is referring to is none of my business, seeing as I’m not interested in researching any man’s sins. I also have read enough at this point to know that I won’t be reading any of Merton’s writings, any more than I’ll be searching out video recordings of John Corapi, or trying to figure out the state of his soul.

Because of my years of being first a cafeteria-Catholic, and then actually leaving the Church for some 14 years or so, I have a definite prejudice against Catholic spiritual writings that may – in any way – be misleading.

And before you jump all over me, let me make it clear that I rarely EVER read any spiritual writings by anyone other than Church-declared Saints. That’s my bias, and it’s also my strategy for protecting my mind and my soul. And whenever anyone asks me about good reading material, I always point out works by those same authors, without apology to current, more popular writers. 😛 I just wouldn’t want it on my soul if I recommended writings that are not backed by the Church and a holy life – because often, liking someone’s writings leads to wanting to know more about the person and wanting to emulate that person’s life. And in the spiritual life, because we are talking about matters of the soul and eternity, I just think there’s no room for playing around.

So with respect to all y’all, and praying that God has mercy on Merton’s soul (and all the faithful departed), I gotta get back to reading John, Teresa, and Augustine 👍

God bless you!

Gertie
O.K. You don’t want to read Merton, and you want us all to know it. Mission accomplished 👍

I like respectful discussions too, and I did not find your contribution of Mr. Burke’s comparison of Merton’s writing with garbage (refuse was his exact word) to be respectful at all. But I shouldn’t blame you for that because you’ve never read Merton.

Why not start a thread here about St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, or St. Augustine? How have they shaped your journey of faith? I look forward to discussing it with you 🙂
 
I’d be more than happy to contribute to a thread on St John of the Cross or St Teresa of Avila. It has always depressed me to find those who are so keen on policing the orthodoxy of others haven’t read or studied what they consider to be orthodox writings.

I just want to get back to what Michael Mayo was saying about the influence on Merton of Catholic art and architecture. His parents were artists: the New Zealand painter Owen Merton and his American mother Ruth, also an artist who exhibited in Provincetown and London, and Thomas Merton had a fine aesthetic sense as well as a wonderful eye for composition. He was always drawn to the simplicity and purity of the greatest Catholic artists. From 1951 onwards we find the young Merton struggling with issues of morality and art, music, beauty in the service of truth etc, and in his later essay on Art and Morality, he pointed beyond the contemporary concern with art as a cultic object or end in itself, pointing beyond to Thomist understandings of the greater good and purpose of art in rendering visible justice to God’s created universe.

On entering Gethsemani, Merton began to study St Bernard’s innovations in Cistercian architecture, in that Bernard was one of those who supported the move from ponderous 12th-century Norman architecture to the high arches and airy pointed ceilings of Gothic architecture, “making masonry fly”.

Many of us interested in ekphrasis – the reading of art as a form of communication – have much to learn from Merton.
 
I’d be more than happy to contribute to a thread on St John of the Cross or St Teresa of Avila. It has always depressed me to find those who are so keen on policing the orthodoxy of others haven’t read or studied what they consider to be orthodox writings.

I just want to get back to what Michael Mayo was saying about the influence on Merton of Catholic art and architecture. His parents were artists: the New Zealand painter Owen Merton and his American mother Ruth, also an artist who exhibited in Provincetown and London, and Thomas Merton had a fine aesthetic sense as well as a wonderful eye for composition. He was always drawn to the simplicity and purity of the greatest Catholic artists. From 1951 onwards we find the young Merton struggling with issues of morality and art, music, beauty in the service of truth etc, and in his later essay on Art and Morality, he pointed beyond the contemporary concern with art as a cultic object or end in itself, pointing beyond to Thomist understandings of the greater good and purpose of art in rendering visible justice to God’s created universe.

On entering Gethsemani, Merton began to study St Bernard’s innovations in Cistercian architecture, in that Bernard was one of those who supported the move from ponderous 12th-century Norman architecture to the high arches and airy pointed ceilings of Gothic architecture, “making masonry fly”.

Many of us interested in ekphrasis – the reading of art as a form of communication – have much to learn from Merton.
Hi Mary,

Your post reminded me of a book written by Father Anthony Ciorra. Here is the synopsis:

Beauty: A Path to God is an invitation to embrace a spirituality of beauty. Grounded in the foundational writings of Hans Urs von Balthasar, it explores the ability of beauty to introduce components of prayer, joy, and spirituality into our lives today. Starting by looking broadly at the spirituality that comes from living amidst beauty, it then focuses on the beauty that resides in key aspects of a strong spiritual life, exploring the beauty inherent in appreciating the present moment, the beauty associated with forgiveness, and the beauty that comes from gratitude. Finally, the book ends with an exploration of darkness as the path to beauty, understanding that great beauty often has its origins in times of spiritual or emotional darkness and melancholy.
Throughout the book the author refers to visual works of art, as well as poetry and prose, that serve as pointers to beauty. The book provides a list of URLs at which these works can be viewed or read.

Ciorra is the man who gives the introductions to the Merton cd series, by the way.

On a personal note, I am looking forward to a week-long silent retreat on the NJ seashore this July where Ciorra will be giving talks about God’s mercy. He will be using Cardinal Kasper’s book as a foundation for the talks. If anyone would be interested in that, the place is called Stella Maris. You could look it up online or PM me.

Peace,
John/coalcracker
 
“To enter into the realm of contemplation, one must in a certain sense die: but this death is in fact the entrance into a higher life. It is a death for the sake of life, which leaves behind all that we can know or treasure as life, as thought, as experience as joy, as being. [Every form of intuition and experience] die to be born again on a higher level of life.”
― Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation
“Let me seek, then, the gift of silence, and poverty, and solitude, where everything I touch is turned into prayer: where the sky is my prayer, the birds are my prayer, the wind in the trees is my prayer, for God is all in all.
…His presence is present in my own presence. If I am, then He is. And in knowing that I am, if I penetrate to the depths of my own existence and my own present reality, the indefinable “am” that is myself at its deepest roots, then through this deep center I pass into the infinite 'I Am” which is the very name of the almighty."
Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude

“You know that God is everywhere. This is a great truth, for wherever God is, there is Heaven. You can believe that in any place where our Lord resides, there is fullness of glory. Recall that St. Augustine tells us about his seeking God in many places and eventually finding Him within himself. A soul that is often distracted needs to understand this truth, for in order to speak to its Eternal Father and to take its delight in Him, it has no need to go to Heaven or to speak in a loud voice. No matter how quietly we speak, He will hear us. We do not need wings to search for Him. We only need to find a place where we can be alone and look upon Him present within us.”
St. Teresa of Avila, The Way of Perfection

“And St. Teresa of Avila believed that no one who was faithful to the practice of meditation could possibly lose his soul.”
Thomas Merton, Spiritual Direction and Meditation
 
For those suggesting that they read St Teresa of Avila or even St John of the Cross before Thomas Merton, it’s really poor advice.

Thomas Merton is far easier to read that the two Saints, especially St Terese of Avila.

Also, St Teresa wrote mostly for the benefit of her nuns in her convent.

Thomas Merton, wrote for all people where the laity could understand him easily.

As a Disclaced Carmelite, Secular, OCDS, we spent years reading St Teresa and St John of the Cross and always had the guidance of our Spiritual Assistant, who was a OCD Friar with expertise on the two Saints.

So, for many, Thomas Merton is a better option than the two saints. He was for me.

In fact, it was only because of Thomas Merton and the practice of Centering Prayer, that I could understand St Teresa and ST John of the Cross when I began to study their works when I first joined Carmel.

Remember in all things, God leads, we follow. Thomas Merton could be where God leads you.

Jim
 
Just in case this hasn’t been posted (Father Robert Barron’s take on Father Merton):

HERE.

Truly an eyeopener (at least for me).👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top