Wow nine pages of thread
To start with, I really enjoy fantasy Novels (and think that sticking them in Si-fi is travesty

) I’ve read Tolkien, C.S Lewis, many other lesser known secular authors. Some of which (Terry Goodkind) would be considered quite controversial in there own right. I have read all but the latest Harry Potter novel and enjoyed reading them, they are very well written, interesting and intriguing.
I have no issue with pretend magic, whether its casts on objects or on people. I don’t agree with a lot of things that people think are “evil”, I played DnD (yes I mean Dungeons and Dragons) and think it as a game foundation is completely moral neural. I have played more RPG’s than I really care to admit too
My Children will not be allowed to read Harry Potter, I am actually undecided as to what to do with the multiple Harry Potter books I own because I don’t want to give them away. I decided this LONG before I heard of the Pope or anyone else speaking out against them and these are my reasons.
Incantations are a completely unnecessary part of the story, in fact never in any form of RPG, DnD or other novels have I seen actual incantations. Through some unfortunate events in my family I’m also aware that to really cast spells (yeah the demonic ones) you don’t need an exact incantations, you just need the desire to use power to achieve a certain purpose. Thank you J.K. Rowling for giving impressionable young kids some ideas of what to do and how to do it.
It is set in Modern day London. Again this is a departure form the vast majority of fantasy, the one book I can think of that was set on Earth was actually a post apocalypse earth baring no resemblance to earth now. Having a fantasy book set in the here and now continues to confuse reality form fiction.
Ends justify the means is prevalent in the stories. Harry does what ever he has (Lie cheats disobeys) to do achieve his ends.
Bottom line is I think it can open an unhealthy interest in the occult for children. I also know that there is only so much we can do to keep our children on the straight and narrow. The ages these book are geared for actually seem to be the prime ages to get involved. 11-16 year olds are already going through major emotional and physical changes, its a very difficult time for them to deal with life in general. Some children regardless of parenting are going to be drawn to things the occult and no amount of teaching them whats right and wrong is going to help. I’m not going to personally proved material that in the wrong hands could lead them down that path.