C
clem456
Guest
Let me second the motion for a pilgrimage.
My wife and I have made a couple small pilgrimages to a basilica and shrine to Our Lady of Consolation. It’s about an hour away. A pilgrimage is good for a couple reasons:
It requires a commitment to go there. That is part of faith building…making a choice for God.
Local distractions can be forgotten there.
Typically there are powerful liturgical, musical, and architectural factors at a shrine which can aid in contemplation and prayer. Don’t discount these as being “external”. They can be very helpful in lifting one to God.
I am not one to have “experiences”, but I must confess that when we visited this shrine last Sunday I was very low and feeling rather hopeless for a couple reasons I don’t have time to get into. At this shrine there are crutches and pictures of the healed and pictures of people who had miraculous cures from hopeless conditions. There was a large glass bowl in which people write intentions and stuff them in. I wrote an intention and tucked it in the bowl and a burden was lifted from me. It was a very powerful experience of grace.
My wife and I have made a couple small pilgrimages to a basilica and shrine to Our Lady of Consolation. It’s about an hour away. A pilgrimage is good for a couple reasons:
It requires a commitment to go there. That is part of faith building…making a choice for God.
Local distractions can be forgotten there.
Typically there are powerful liturgical, musical, and architectural factors at a shrine which can aid in contemplation and prayer. Don’t discount these as being “external”. They can be very helpful in lifting one to God.
I am not one to have “experiences”, but I must confess that when we visited this shrine last Sunday I was very low and feeling rather hopeless for a couple reasons I don’t have time to get into. At this shrine there are crutches and pictures of the healed and pictures of people who had miraculous cures from hopeless conditions. There was a large glass bowl in which people write intentions and stuff them in. I wrote an intention and tucked it in the bowl and a burden was lifted from me. It was a very powerful experience of grace.