There is quite a bit of Scripture that contradicts the idea that people choose to go to Hell. As for Hell being eternal, I am uncertain - although I do lean towards believing it is in fact eternal. I do not believe everyone who goes to Hell goes to the same place in Hell, though.
Now you’re getting into Dante!
But to the main reason I chose to post:
I also feel that people don’t necessarily “choose” Hell. I myself am a conflicted individual. I love God I want to be with God when I die. I don’t think that the “choice” we face is between the world and God, because God created the world, and we are part of His creation, and IN His creation. We are intertwined within all that is this world, this incredibly layered and complex world.
I feel I can love God, and still sin, going against God’s wishes, like a child can love his parents and still do wrong. Those parents would NOT then disown their child forever, if they were any kind of loving parent. They might be hurt by their child’s choices, but their love would remain, and even if a punishment was warranted, it would not be eternal. No good, loving parent would wish for eternal punishment for their child - nor would impose it on them.
I am sorry for my sin, but still attached to it. I do not want to go to Hell, yet I feel powerless to stop sinning, and my sins are of the sexual nature variety, self-pleasure and lust.
I confess my sins, but it gets to a point where I feel like “How many times can I keep confessing the same sins?” After all, I get pleasure from this sin. I don’t want it to send me to Hell. But then, I justify it in my mind by thinking that God created women, and created our sexuality and our desires! I am using the feelings God gave me! It is such a conflict. I feel happy when doing such things! I feel such a strong pull to do it and frustration when I try to abstain, for even a day or two.
I don’t know how Priests do it!? I know the answer is supposed to be Grace. Still, they are human, and we have seen the evidence that even Priests, with so much more exposure to the Graces of God, still fall.
I know I go to Mass every week, sometimes more than once. I love the idea of God, and the Catholic religion seems to me to be the “right” and true form of Christianity now that I have converted.
I am scared I am wasting my time is so many other areas of my Faith because of the sin I am attached to, and that it will result in my sentence to Hell despite my love for God. I do not choose Hell, or the absence of God. Not at all! I don’t believe that our choices are so Black and White! Some on here say either you choose God, or you don’t. I disagree.
Are we living under threat then? Love is a two way street, isn’t it? Love involves compromise doesn’t it? From both parties in a marriage, for example?
I know we cannot comprehend God. Not even close. Our minds create a logic based on our human limitations, and maybe this is just not the way God works. Like a Cat can watch you talking on a telephone, but literally have no comprehension of what a phone is, and why we are talking into it. The cat may think we are talking to it! Why would it think differently? It cannot comprehend any differently.
In such a way, we cannot comprehend God. We can go by the teachings of Jesus as best as we can, but perhaps God truly sees us insignificant, and is willing to award only a scant few with Heaven, and is perfectly fine with us tiny, pathetic “ants” burning in Hell. Do we think about it when we step on an ant?
As for the sacrifice of our Lord…I sometimes wonder if it was as bad to God as we make it out to be? Jesus was God! He knew he would rise in 3 days! He knew death wasn’t final at all. Maybe, being God, he could compartmentalize the human pain? I don’t know. It’s just something I’ve thought about at times. I feel bad thinking about the crucifixion in such terms, but my mind seems to lead me there when thinking about what God is.
I only hope I don’t burn in Hell for eternity. I truly do not want to even though I continue to sin.