Hell not paying restitution in full

  • Thread starter Thread starter John121
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in belief that if one goes to confession, all is forgiven. Ex: If you murder someone, feel sorry, and repent, but don’t turn yourself in, you are still forgiven.
 
You realize that we are all unprofitable servants and will never be able to pay Christ back in full for His sacrifice, right?
 
2412 In virtue of commutative justice, reparation for injustice committed requires the restitution of stolen goods to their owner:
 
2412 In virtue of commutative justice, reparation for injustice committed requires the restitution of stolen goods to their owner:
I see. You’re talking about the theft of goods, not Christ’s sacrifice.
 
So if one steals 2,000,000$, uses it, later feels bad and confesses but is unable to pay it back, what comes next? Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory. And if either of the latter two, why isn’t confession valid in that way?
 
Last edited:
I think I read somewhere maybe catechism that you pay as much as possible!
 
The restitution laws are very strict so I’m very worried I’m not doing enough.

The Old Testament laws are even stricter were you had to be sold to slavery if you could not pay
 
But that begs the question of where. Be careful about the sites you choose.
 
See Article 8 of the Summa Theologia (II-II).

In particular Objection 2 and the Reply, which reads:

**Reply to Objection 2. **When one is unable to restore at once, this very inability excuses one from immediate restitution: even as a person is altogether excused from making restitution if he is altogether unable to make it. He is, however, bound either himself or through another to ask the person to whom he owes compensation to grant him a remission or a respite.
 
I have been to several priests over this topic and none so far have stated that I need to ask for a respite or remission of restitution even do it states it by one of the Doctors of the church.
 
Well if the Summa Theologica says that the priest makes restitution through God(maybe its vice versa), and the priests seem to think so, you should believe them maybe.
 
Summa St Thomas Aquinas
Although a man is not bound to reveal his crime to other men, yet is he bound to reveal it to [God]in confession; and so he may make restitution of another’s property through the [priest] to whom he confesses.

I misread it
 
Last edited:
So what i found that if one cannot pay restitution in full or pay at all you must ask for a respite or remission from the person who suffered the loss.

If it is impossible to give to a person who suffered the loss because of death or other reasons then the money should be given to a charity.

If you don’t get a remission or respite I’m not really sure what you do!

Maybe just pay as much as possible !
 
Didn’t you just say priests themselves told you its fine, and Thomas Aquinas too. As someone who has struggled w/ scrupulosity, this is what it sounds like.
 
No because Thomas Aquinas said you need to get a remission of restitution from the person who suffered the loss for it to be ok and as of yet I have not because it’s not been possible yet!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top