It was jest (well half serious).
I do not profess to know what Hell really is, beyond what the Church tells me, which is eternal separation from God. Anyone who has experienced separation from a loved one has had but a minor taste of what pain that must be.
Now if I were designing purgatory, I would have a few surprises for people who get there.
There’s a guy online (on another site) who regularly posts nasty things about Catholics…we’re all doomed to Hell he thinks (because we call priests “Father” and because our Pope kissed the Koran…and a dozen other reasons .He hates Muslims too…and lots of others)
I had to respond and say that I prayed that when his bus arrives at the’ rapture’, he’s got a muslim, a catholic, a jew, and a gay guy sitting next to him…and that when he looks at them, he sees God in all their faces. That would make him soil the seat, actually. My evil twin would be pleased.
I’d make up similar surprises for anyone who is cocksure of the afterlife or their assured place in it.
Mostly in the form of people they’d meet that made them say “Wait a minute…you’re not supposed to be here…you’re supposed to be in Hell!”