Hell

  • Thread starter Thread starter hu324b
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because they had a “conversion of mind and heart”.
That’s not what you said. You said “all are saved”, which would mean that “conversion of mind and heart” is ultimately irrelevant and not essential.

So again, why shouldn’t anyone do whatever they please, no matter how sinful, if God’s going to save them anyway?
In response to ““Fear of the Lord” has absolutely nothing to do with being afraid of God.” and “Do you think that punishment is only punishment if there is no end to that punishment?”
I wrote about the meaning of “Fear of the Lord”, I didn’t say that you said it, but when I think of an Omniscient Being that made so many, knowing that they would be in agony, beyond anything you could imagine, forever then that is what I would think of a God such as that, that is why I pointed out what “Fear of the Lord”, did not mean.
“Fear of God” or “Fear of the Lord” means you loving God so much that you are afraid to offend Him.

If “all are saved”, then you are negating that. You’re saying that God saves all regardless of anything; Original Sin doesn’t matter, the Incarnation didn’t matter, Calvary didn’t matter, the Church doesn’t matter, Scripture doesn’t matter, accepting Christ doesn’t matter, baptism or any of the other sacraments don’t matter, possessing sanctifying grace and divine life doesn’t matter, nothing matters because “all are saved”.
I think of “hell” as God’s Way of a “punishment fitting the crime” (Divine Justice), so to speak, since it is custom made by its inhabitant but not if it is forever.
You’re wrong. Hell is not “punishment fitting the crime”. Hell is God’s judgment against sin and death.

It is not “custom made by its inhabitants”. Hell is sin and death as it truly is, and whoever winds up there CHOSE to be there.
I have been told that only I could say it, so I am attempting to say it with God’s help since I know that I can not do it alone and as far as “You’re insisting that people will receive (salvation) without even asking”, I didn’t say that, you are reading more into what I say that what I actually say, what I said was that Jesus died for All by His Work on the cross and that, ultimately, the Good News truly is Good News for ALL and that only God knows “all of the details”.
That’s not the issue. That Jesus died for all is not at dispute. That the gospel is intended for all is not at dispute.

There is a huge difference between what Christ did to save us and what we must do to be saved, or to enter into what He did to be identified with Him and His sacrifice.

What He did was Redeem us. Unless we accept that Redemption there is no salvation.

You said, “all are saved.”

You said that “all are saved” AND that people will be saved even from hell. That people will somehow “choose” salvation after death.

Both of these are against what God has revealed in Christ.

We don’t need to know “all the details” to know what has already been revealed is true.

And what has been revealed is that those who refuse salvation unto death will receive eternal death in hell.
 
I have said that, ULTIMATELY, All are saved and that only God knows if all of the "details"quote.
Which still doesn’t alleviate your problem.
Do you think that Christianity is about you getting to the “good place”?
  1. Quote me where I said that it was?
  2. Christianity is ultimately about what is True. Belief would necessarily be required even if it gave me no personal help at all.
Or do you think that Christianity might be about God and man working in concert for the Salvation of ALL?
Why? If “all are ULTIMATELY saved”, then there’s no such thing as “working in concert for the salvation of ALL” because apparently according to you God already saved ALL.
Jesus did extend the invitation to, “Come follow Me”.
If all are “ULTIMATELY saved”, why does anyone need to follow Him?
Jesus also said that there was “work to be done”.
Jesus also said, “many are invited, but few are chosen”(Matt 22:14)
Salvation is a “work in progress” and it is NOT just for the individual, it is for the individual AND all.
Then you’re contradicting yourself again. If “all are ULTIMATELY saved”, then there’s no such “work in progress” because there’s nothing to be done. We apparently don’t even need to do any “work” because we’ll be saved whether we work or not.

How do you explain this?
 
:confused:

He posted:
**Do you find something wrong with doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

“Fear of the Lord” has absolutely nothing to do with being afraid of God.

Do you think that punishment is only punishment if there is no end to that punishment?

Could be that when Jesus said, “Ask and you shall receive”, He was hoping for us to ask for something worth asking for.**

What’s scary or dark?
You didn’t read the post carefully. He didn’t specifically refer to that particular post. He was talking about several of Tom’s posts.
 
I have said that, ULTIMATELY, All are saved and that only God knows all of the “details”.

Do you think that Christianity is about you getting to the “good place”?

Or do you think that Christianity might be about God and man working in concert for the Salvation of ALL?

Jesus did extend the invitation to, “Come follow Me”.

Jesus also said that there was “work to be done”.

Salvation is a “work in progress” and it is NOT just for the individual, it is for the individual AND all.
Let’s start again. “ultimately all are saved” is Universalism and is a heresy. You mentioned in earlier posts that you did not know all the Church teachings.
Did you know that Universalism means that in the end everyone will be saved and that is heresy. Do you subscribe to this belief which contradicts the Church teachings. Every time this is brought up you never answer the question.
Also you evaded talking about the other Church teachings, namely that anyone who dies in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell and that once you are dead there is no chance to change your mind, repent and ask for God’s mercy. This MUST be done before you die.
Its hard trying to discuss anything with you when its not clear what your beliefs are. Can you tell us with regard to the afore-going questions what you believe.
 
Why do you say that?
Hi Tom Baum : Correct me if I’m wrong but you’ve said ultimately “everyone” will be saved and I don’t dig that. I cannot imagine the martyrs rubbing elbows in heaven with the likes of Satan, Judas, Hitler etc. Presumption of God’s mercy is a no no to Catholics, I think. You’ve said you met God the Father in a dream but you don’t know if it was really Him. I don’t doubt that you’ve received messages from somebody but do you know the father of all liars? Let’s not underestimate the power of the devil. He’s probably smiling right now while we are expressing our own opinions here. I’m sorry Tom but some of your posts are against Catholic teachings and a bit twisted. Peace brother 🙂

Anybody here knows Fr. Gruner? That guy is something else…
 
Hi Tom Baum : Correct me if I’m wrong but you’ve said ultimately “everyone” will be saved and I don’t dig that. I cannot imagine the martyrs rubbing elbows in heaven with the likes of Satan, Judas, Hitler etc. Presumption of God’s mercy is a no no to Catholics, I think. You’ve said you met God the Father in a dream but you don’t know if it was really Him. I don’t doubt that you’ve received messages from somebody but do you know the father of all liars? Let’s not underestimate the power of the devil. He’s probably smiling right now while we are expressing our own opinions here. I’m sorry Tom but some of your posts are against Catholic teachings and a bit twisted. Peace brother 🙂

Anybody here knows Fr. Gruner? That guy is something else…
That’s why the Church has suspended him.
 
Hi Tom Baum : Correct me if I’m wrong but you’ve said ultimately “everyone” will be saved and I don’t dig that. I cannot imagine the martyrs rubbing elbows in heaven with the likes of Satan, Judas, Hitler etc. Presumption of God’s mercy is a no no to Catholics, I think. You’ve said you met God the Father in a dream but you don’t know if it was really Him. I don’t doubt that you’ve received messages from somebody but do you know the father of all liars? Let’s not underestimate the power of the devil. He’s probably smiling right now while we are expressing our own opinions here. I’m sorry Tom but some of your posts are against Catholic teachings and a bit twisted. Peace brother 🙂

Anybody here knows Fr. Gruner? That guy is something else…
I did not say that I met God the Father in a dream, I said that it was in a dream that I was told that only I could say it and that I knew this dream was from God even tho it might not have been God Personally, so to speak.

Actually, I was driving my car when I met Dad.

You wrote, “Let’s not underestimate the power of the devil.”

We shouldn’t underestimate the Power of God either and the Power of God Is Love since God Is a Being of Love.

If you have ever been to hell you might think differently about things.

If you have ever met Dad, you might think differently about God also.

You also wrote, " I cannot imagine the martyrs rubbing elbows in heaven with the likes of Satan, Judas, Hitler etc."

There are probably plenty of things that you can not imagine that are true and there are probably plenty of things that are true that I can not imagine, as a matter of “fact” I can not imagine that God Is a Being of Love but I know it since this was revealed to me.

You also wrote, “Correct me if I’m wrong but you’ve said ultimately “everyone” will be saved and I don’t dig that.”

That is exactly what I said and I also said I do not know all of the details.

When you wrote, “I don’t dig that”, are you saying that you would not want everyone to, ultimately, be saved, even if is God’s Will that ALL be saved?

Or are you saying that you just hope that they are not ALL saved?

You wrote, “Presumption of God’s mercy is a no no to Catholics,”.

Does this mean that it is OK for Catholics to “presume” that they know that there is a “limit” to God’s Mercy and that they know just where that "limit " is?
 
Let’s start again. “ultimately all are saved” is Universalism and is a heresy. You mentioned in earlier posts that you did not know all the Church teachings.
Did you know that Universalism means that in the end everyone will be saved and that is heresy. Do you subscribe to this belief which contradicts the Church teachings. Every time this is brought up you never answer the question.
Also you evaded talking about the other Church teachings, namely that anyone who dies in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell and that once you are dead there is no chance to change your mind, repent and ask for God’s mercy. This MUST be done before you die.
Its hard trying to discuss anything with you when its not clear what your beliefs are. Can you tell us with regard to the afore-going questions what you believe.
Has the Church ever definitely said that someone is in the hell that you think of as hell?

If the Church hasn’t then the Church has left that “option”, so to speak, open, wouldn’t you say?

That “option” being that hell is empty, so far according to the Church, no one is, officially, in hell, are they?

You then wrote, “Also you evaded talking about the other Church teachings, namely that anyone who dies in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell and that once you are dead there is no chance to change your mind, repent and ask for God’s mercy. This MUST be done before you die.”

Since God is EVERYONE’S Judge, it is up to God just how God’s Judgement comes down, so to speak, and it is also up to God just what death means and just when death is death in God’s Eyes.

When I say that it is God’s Will that ALL are saved and that, ultimately ALL are saved, I think the words speak for themselves what they mean.
 
I have heard or read that Judgement can be likened to God being our Judge with Jesus as our defense lawyer and satan as the accuser or prosecuting attorney.

If this were so, I would surely throw myself on the Mercy of the Court and refuse to be tried by a “jury” of my “peers”.
 
I have heard or read that Judgement can be likened to God being our Judge with Jesus as our defense lawyer and satan as the accuser or prosecuting attorney.

If this were so, I would surely throw myself on the Mercy of the Court and refuse to be tried by a “jury” of my “peers”.
Wrong again. This is the protestant, legalistic perception of “judgement”, not the Catholic notion of familial covenant relationship(or lack thereof).
 
That’s not what you asserted before.

You seemed rather to say that all have already been judged (I.e. saved). Therefore the judgement has already taken place.

Unless you’re now contradicting yourself?
Since God is Omniscient, even tho it has not happened yet, wouldn’t you say that God already knows?

Or would you say that God is not Omniscient concerning this?
I never said that you were.

What I asked was why the need to trust at all since you’re going to be saved whether you trust or don’t trust?

You apparently still don’t understand. According to you, God has already given not only you but everyone eternity in heaven.

You may feel like its a good thing to trust and hope in God(which is good).

You can even have the opinion that God wants us to trust and hope in Him (because I also have faith in God and hope for salvation, but the reasons for MY trust and hope are much more objective and based upon what’s actually true).

When you say “all are saved”, as you have continued to insist this entire time, you’re also saying that trusting and hoping in God is not really essential to whether or not we’re saved, that God saves all regardless of whether He wants them to trust Him or not, and regardless of whether they trust and hope in Him or not.

You’re saying that there is no obligation to trust and hope in God. And that there is no objective consequence for NOT trusting or NOT hoping in God.

So, what objective reason can you give anyone to trust or hope in God who doesn’t want to nor sees any need to?
I have never said that there are not “objective consequence(s)”, what I have said is that “objective consequence(s)” do not have to be for ever and ever and ever to be “objective consequence(s)”.

You can hope and trust in your “conception” of God and I will hope and trust in the God that I have met.

I can see absolutely nothing wrong with hoping and trusting in a God that it is worth hoping and trusting in.

You wrote something about “eternity in heaven”, will it be eternity or forever?

Personally, I do not know.

God created time, will God end time?

As far as I know, there is no mention of this one way or the other, do you know of any?

Who knows, maybe eternity ends.

Like I said, I know a little, I do not know it all and even tho some seem to think that there will be no “surprises”, maybe they will be surprised to find out that there will be.
 
I did not say that I met God the Father in a dream, I said that it was in a dream that I was told that only I could say it and that I knew this dream was from God even tho it might not have been God Personally, so to speak.

Actually, I was driving my car when I met Dad.

You wrote, “Let’s not underestimate the power of the devil.”

We shouldn’t underestimate the Power of God either and the Power of God Is Love since God Is a Being of Love.

If you have ever been to hell you might think differently about things.

If you have ever met Dad, you might think differently about God also.

You also wrote, " I cannot imagine the martyrs rubbing elbows in heaven with the likes of Satan, Judas, Hitler etc."

There are probably plenty of things that you can not imagine that are true and there are probably plenty of things that are true that I can not imagine, as a matter of “fact” I can not imagine that God Is a Being of Love but I know it since this was revealed to me.

You also wrote, “Correct me if I’m wrong but you’ve said ultimately “everyone” will be saved and I don’t dig that.”

That is exactly what I said and I also said I do not know all of the details.

When you wrote, “I don’t dig that”, are you saying that you would not want everyone to, ultimately, be saved, even if is God’s Will that ALL be saved?

Or are you saying that you just hope that they are not ALL saved?

You wrote, “Presumption of God’s mercy is a no no to Catholics,”.

Does this mean that it is OK for Catholics to “presume” that they know that there is a “limit” to God’s Mercy and that they know just where that "limit " is?
Tom : Here’s a very powerful prayer for you. I always say this prayer especially when I’m in doubt. Peace brother.

Crux sancti Patris Benedicti
Crus sacra sit mihi lux
Non draco sit mihi dux
Vade retro satana
Nunquam suade mihi vana
Sunt mala quae libas
Ipse venena bibas.
 
Wrong again. This is the protestant, legalistic perception of “judgement”, not the Catholic notion of familial covenant relationship(or lack thereof).
satan is mentioned as an accuser and a deceiver, maybe not in a court setting but I do not think that it is wrong for a Catholic to think what they want rather than to just think what they are told that they are allowed to think.

Jesus, Himself, used various ways of speaking to say things and I, for one, think that Jesus encouraged us to use our God-given abilities.

I could be wrong but was it you or someone else who likened (hell) to a child going to court to divorce his/her parents?

You may or may not be, but to me, you come across as very legalistic in what you write.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt if you even notice just how legalistic you have boiled God’s Judgement down to.

Could be that God being God has left Himself a little wiggle room there.
 
I have faith and trust in God. He wants us all to come to Him. He is infinite in His compassion.

It’s people that I do not fully trust.

I wonder if it is possible to be so sinful, that all there is is sin, with no remnant of what it means to be human.
How can eternal existence in this state not be hell?

I would not claim there is no hell,
not only because it is scripturally unfounded,
but also because some people are not good for its own sake; they need the fear of hell to keep them on track.
And hell exists.
 
Since God is Omniscient, even tho it has not happened yet, wouldn’t you say that God already knows?
Omniscience means that there are no limits to God’s knowing. So He necessarily knows who’s going to accept Him and who’s going to reject Him.
Or would you say that God is not Omniscient concerning this?
Where did I ever suggest anything to the contrary? I’m not the one advocating universal salvation, you are. These follow from your ideas, not mine, nor the Catholic Faith.
I have never said that there are not “objective consequence(s)”, what I have said is that “objective consequence(s)” do not have to be for ever and ever and ever to be “objective consequence(s)”.
Yes, they do. The fact is that temporary choices** do **have eternal consequences, i.e. abortion, murder, etc.

The choice of whether to accept of reject God is of much greater consequence than either of those above mentioned, because to reject God is to reject Reality. Therefore to reject Reality must have eternal consequences as well.
You can hope and trust in your “conception” of God and I will hope and trust in the God that I have met.
Your personal subjective experience is irrelevant to this discussion. Neither I nor anyone us s under any obligation to accept your “experience” as true, and it does nothing to advance your position. In fact the more your assert it and the more your derive false ideas from it contrary to the Catholic Faith the more you invalidate it as a true revelation from God and instead show it to be at the least self-deception and at the worst from a demonic source. Its not only causing division here in this discussion but because your have immediately “baptized” it without any testing you are causing yourself to be divided from the truth. You’re actually fighting against God the Holy Spirit rather than following Him.
I can see absolutely nothing wrong with hoping and trusting in a God that it is worth hoping and trusting in.
You still apparently don’t understand your problem. Whether you see “nothing wrong with hoping and trusting God” is not the issue.

The problem is that you’re saying that hoping and trusting in God is not an essential element to being saved.

Because if “all are ULTIMATELY saved”, then there is no reason or need to trust and hope in God for anything. Salvation is guaranteed no matter what.

You wrote something about “eternity in heaven”, will it be eternity or forever?

Personally, I do not know.
Eternity is by definition outside of time. Time is what we use to measure change. In eternity there is no change, everything is “present”.

“E-ternal” literally means “non-temporal”.
God created time, will God end time?
God will end temporal existence, so yes God will end time.
As far as I know, there is no mention of this one way or the other, do you know of any?
If you never bother reading anything and only listen your the voices in your mind, how do you know anything?

There are plenty of works explaining these things if you’d actually look for them.
Who knows, maybe eternity ends.
That’s the same as saying “God will end”. Don’t be absurd.
Like I said, I know a little, I do not know it all and even tho some seem to think that there will be no “surprises”, maybe they will be surprised to find out that there will be.
Ultimately and irrelevant statement.
 
satan is mentioned as an accuser and a deceiver, maybe not in a court setting but I do not think that it is wrong for a Catholic to think what they want rather than to just think what they are told that they are allowed to think.
Don’t be absurd. Christ established the Church and granted the Church the protection of the Holy Spirit to guide the Church to "all the truth."

People thinking that “they can think what they want” contrary to the teachings of Jesus and the Church has lead to the greatest evils, scandal, and confusions throughout the history of the Faith.

And frankly its a rather egocentric position for you to take. The Church says these are the boundaries, you’re free to think within these boundaries but not to go outside of them.

You, my friend, are absolutely walking outside of the boundaries of sound doctrine. You’re taking the position that you can pick and choose what you want to believe and reject whatever you don’t.
"Tom Baum:
Jesus, Himself, used various ways of speaking to say things and I, for one, think that Jesus encouraged us to use our God-given abilities.
1)Jesus had the authority to say what He said. He received it from His Father. You do not possess such authority.
2)Jesus did not teach us to use our God-given abilities to spread falsehoods.
I could be wrong but was it you or someone else who likened (hell) to a child going to court to divorce his/her parents?
It was an analogy. Not all analogies are perfect, it was meant to illustrate that hell is not “punishment” imposed by God.

Hell is a child telling God that He refuses to be a part of the family of God. God doesn’t fight them, He just lets them have their way.
You may or may not be, but to me, you come across as very legalistic in what you write.
You’re obviously confusing “legalistic” with accurate.
I could be wrong but I seriously doubt if you even notice just how legalistic you have boiled God’s Judgement down to.
Nonsense. The only one imposing a legalistic idea of God’s judgment here is you.

You have ignored that Salvation has nothing to do with a legal declaration from God. Your words sound ever more and more like a protestant arguing for “Once Saved Always Saved.”

Salvation has entirely to do with the Covenant. With entering into the Family of God through the Covenant that Christ established.

Rejection of the Covenant with Christ necessarily means rejection of the Family of God.

Rejection of entering into the family of God is in fact a rejection of God.

Rejection of God necessarily results in the choice of hell.
Could be that God being God has left Himself a little wiggle room there.
Yet that’s the very “wiggle room” that you explicitly deny to God when you insist that “all are ULTIMATELY saved”.

Its the “wiggle room” called human free will.

You cannot claim to the right to pick and choose what “wiggle room” of God you can accept and what “wiggle room” of God you can reject. At the least its logically inconsistent.

That’s the problem with claiming things as absolutely true, such as the claim that "all are ULTIMATELY saved, yet, by your own admission, you do not “know” enough to be sure that what you’re saying is consistent with what is already KNOWN and REVEALED by God in Christ.

Nor do you apparently possess the faith and humility to accept or submit to the authority of the Church which Christ founded.

Which is why a long time before this I suggested that you get re-catechized. You’re only doing more harm than good.
 
Has the Church ever definitely said that someone is in the hell that you think of as hell?

If the Church hasn’t then the Church has left that “option”, so to speak, open, wouldn’t you say?

That “option” being that hell is empty, so far according to the Church, no one is, officially, in hell, are they?

You then wrote, “Also you evaded talking about the other Church teachings, namely that anyone who dies in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell and that once you are dead there is no chance to change your mind, repent and ask for God’s mercy. This MUST be done before you die.”

Since God is EVERYONE’S Judge, it is up to God just how God’s Judgement comes down, so to speak, and it is also up to God just what death means and just when death is death in God’s Eyes.

When I say that it is God’s Will that ALL are saved and that, ultimately ALL are saved, I think the words speak for themselves what they mean.
There are no options for anyone going to Hell. They are there FOREVER.
You cannot get any clearer than this infallible teaching of the Church on Hell.

CCC 1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of Hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of Hell, “eternal fire.” The chief punishment of Hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

By the way you did not previously state God wanted everyone to be saved. YOU are the one who stated “all are ultimately saved” and that is a heresy.
 
I have faith and trust in God. He wants us all to come to Him. He is infinite in His compassion.

It’s people that I do not fully trust.

I wonder if it is possible to be so sinful, that all there is is sin, with no remnant of what it means to be human.
How can eternal existence in this state not be hell?

I would not claim there is no hell,
not only because it is scripturally unfounded,
but also because some people are not good for its own sake; they need the fear of hell to keep them on track.
And hell exists.
I know that hell is real.

Quite a few people, it seems, don’t have a clue about hell but nevertheless think that they know all that there is to know about hell.

I, personally, believe that God can “clean up”, so to speak, All that He created, in one way or another and in the Plan that God has had since before creation, God knows just how He will accomplish what many seem to think/believe God incapable of and in some cases it appears that some don’t even want God to be able or to do this.

There will be many that will be surprised and this group will contain both those that believe in God and those that do not believe in God.

The same surprise will surprise different people in quite different ways.
 
I know that hell is real.

Quite a few people, it seems, don’t have a clue about hell but nevertheless think that they know all that there is to know about hell.

I, personally, believe that God can “clean up”, so to speak, All that He created, in one way or another and in the Plan that God has had since before creation, God knows just how He will accomplish what many seem to think/believe God incapable of and in some cases it appears that some don’t even want God to be able or to do this.

There will be many that will be surprised and this group will contain both those that believe in God and those that do not believe in God.

The same surprise will surprise different people in quite different ways.
At the end of time Purgatory will not exist. Only Hell and Heaven are forever. Those in Purgatory will go to Heaven.
Everyone in Hell will remain there forever. They will never be united with God. To say “all are ultimately saved” is heresy. Any Catholic who believes in Universalism is in a state of mortal sin by rejecting an infallible Church teaching and this carries the penalty of automatic excommunication.

Canon Law:

Can. 1364 §1 An apostate from the faith,** a heretic** or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication, without prejudice to the provision of Can. 194 §1, n. 2; a cleric, moreover, may be punished with the penalties mentioned in Can. 1336 §1, nn. 1, 2 and 3.
 
Tom : Here’s a very powerful prayer for you. I always say this prayer especially when I’m in doubt. Peace brother.

Crux sancti Patris Benedicti
Crus sacra sit mihi lux
Non draco sit mihi dux
Vade retro satana
Nunquam suade mihi vana
Sunt mala quae libas
Ipse venena bibas.
I’ll take your word that this is a “powerful prayer” since I, at the moment, do not have a clue at what it even says.

I would guess that it is Latin and I am sure that God knows Latin just as I am sure that God knows that I don’t know Latin.

I happen to believe that the “thoughts” that words convey are more meaningful than the pretty sounds that might come from the words, that is one of the reasons that I prefer the Mass in the vernacular.

Do you realize that when God became One of us, that He, Jesus, spoke to people in their vernacular?

Here is a prayer not just for you but for ALL:

Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins.
Save us from the fires of hell.
Lead all souls to Heaven,
especially those in most need of Thy Mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top