Help for depression and marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter StRoch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey St. Roch,
Just checking in on you and making sure this post doesn’t disappear to the next page for lack of response! 😉

I’ll be off the forums for a while. It is distracting me from my writing task. My sp. dir. would not approve if he knew! Anyway, PM me if you want to talk… I will still be checking e-mail.

Hang in there. Continued prayers! 👍
 
Hello StRoch, regarding anti-depressants they are not comparable to recreational drug use where someone is attempting to escape life and live in a drug-induced world out of touch with reality in an “artificial happiness”. The medications you are taking are to help you fully participate in the world, loving and helping others. However anti-depressants work they are “turning off” the extreme mood that slows you down to a stop and makes you lose hope. You could say your body chemistry is creating an “artificial unhappiness”.

We are embodied, our soul and body are one. This is the profundity of Jesus coming and being one of us and suffering in a human body. Our mind is not floating seperate from our body. Brain functions, diet, chemistry all directly affect our thoughts and feelings. You have fought for a long time by your will alone to overcome your depression, did it work? If not it is because it is a physical problem.

A good example is that many women suffer mood disorders associated with their menstrual cycle or after having a baby. Why would a happy woman suddenly have severe depression at exactly the same time every month like clockwork? Because her body chemistry is changing, her hormones are surging. Why women have morning sickness and nausea when pregnant is because of a MASSIVE increase in hormones as the body starts to grow a baby. And just after she gives birth there is a huge drop off of these hormones.

Our hormones and other body chemicals are powerful and have a direct impact on mood. If they are out of whack our mood does not recover normally.

I’m glad to hear you are getting more sleep, this is a good sign. I expect your doubts and guilt about getting help will subside as you feel better and your reasoning is not affected by your mood.

Hang in there. God answered your pleas by finding you a doctor and others who can help you. Trust in their professional care, you are not unique in suffering with depression and that alone should help you see that this is a recognized medical issue that has treatments.
You’re still in our prayers! God bless you.
 
Hello StRoch, regarding anti-depressants they are not comparable to recreational drug use where someone is attempting to escape life and live in a drug-induced world out of touch with reality in an “artificial happiness”. The medications you are taking are to help you fully participate in the world, loving and helping others. However anti-depressants work they are “turning off” the extreme mood that slows you down to a stop and makes you lose hope. You could say your body chemistry is creating an “artificial unhappiness”.

We are embodied, our soul and body are one. This is the profundity of Jesus coming and being one of us and suffering in a human body. Our mind is not floating seperate from our body. Brain functions, diet, chemistry all directly affect our thoughts and feelings. You have fought for a long time by your will alone to overcome your depression, did it work? If not it is because it is a physical problem.

A good example is that many women suffer mood disorders associated with their menstrual cycle or after having a baby. Why would a happy woman suddenly have severe depression at exactly the same time every month like clockwork? Because her body chemistry is changing, her hormones are surging. Why women have morning sickness and nausea when pregnant is because of a MASSIVE increase in hormones as the body starts to grow a baby. And just after she gives birth there is a huge drop off of these hormones.

Our hormones and other body chemicals are powerful and have a direct impact on mood. If they are out of whack our mood does not recover normally.

I’m glad to hear you are getting more sleep, this is a good sign. I expect your doubts and guilt about getting help will subside as you feel better and your reasoning is not affected by your mood.

Hang in there. God answered your pleas by finding you a doctor and others who can help you. Trust in their professional care, you are not unique in suffering with depression and that alone should help you see that this is a recognized medical issue that has treatments.
You’re still in our prayers! God bless you.
Thanks Kindness for your post, it made me feel better and I never thought of it that way so thank you. I’m still hanging in there battling nervousness and trying to keep a positive attitude.

Thanks for keeping me in your prayers, I will do the same for you.
God Bless.
 
You’re welcome StRoch 😉 I know it’s hard to be patient but trust in God and live for today.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

“Your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!” Jesus in Matthew 6:8
 
It was mentioned earlier, but I just want to emphasize the importance of exercise and diet in battling anxiety and depression.

If you have some time you may also want to investigate supplements SAM-e and L-theanine both very safe and many report good results.

Good luck.
 
Thank you to everyone who have prayed for me or left me kind words of encouragement over these past several weeks. I’m feeling better but not what I could be or should be. I think the 2 medicines that I was taken really knocked me for a loop and made me feel 100 times worse than I was. So I think those are finally out of my system. But I still feel kinda ehh. So, I’m continuing to pray and be patient and continue to ask God for the grace to deal with this and hope to beat it soon. I’m on another medication that doesn’t seem to be bothering me so hopefully that will help. I’m on my 5th week of that. I don’t really notice anything from it yet, but I’m staying hopeful. I’m trying to take one day at a time and trying to live in the moment but I still feel kinda blah.

thanks again for your prayers and kind words and please continue to keep me in your prayers, as I will you.
 
I just wanted to say how impressed I am by how you are tackling this head-on. You’re seeking support, getting medication, talking and communicating with people - I think someday you’ll look back on this period and be really, really proud of how well you handled such a difficult situation.

God bless you and your family, and thank you for sharing your situation with us.
 
thank you very much! It’s comforting to know other’s have gone through this. We continue to go to mass every week, and this weekend we are starting to do an adoration hour so we are going to be praying a lot then. I did speak with my monsenior first before seeing a doctor and he did recommend someone that is also faith based, the only thing is, he isn’t in our heath care plan so it would be over $100 a session, but it might be worth it. thank you again.
It is DEF worth it! I know from experience!!
 
I just wanted to say how impressed I am by how you are tackling this head-on. You’re seeking support, getting medication, talking and communicating with people - I think someday you’ll look back on this period and be really, really proud of how well you handled such a difficult situation.

God bless you and your family, and thank you for sharing your situation with us.
thank you very much for your kind words. That’s what I keep telling myself, that someday I’ll look back and appreciate how far I’ve come and that we got through it and are stronger for it. I just wish I could fast forward to that point! I’m counting on patience, persistance, and prayer to help see me through this. My wife says she’s proud of me for going at this head-on too so I have her by my side too.
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.
 
StRoch we haven’t heard from you for a while, how are you doing? Our family is still praying for you!
 
StRoch we haven’t heard from you for a while, how are you doing? Our family is still praying for you!
hi Kindness, thanks for checking in! I’m doing better but I don’t think I’m where I could be, but definitively better than before. I think I had a couple bad reactions to a couple meds, so hopefully I’ll find something that works.

thanks again for checking in and thank you to you and your family for keeping me in your prayers. I will do the same for you! :o
 
Good to hear from you St.Roch and that you are starting to feel better. Take one day at a time and may God richly bless you and those you love this Christmas! 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top