Help with an ecumenical Bible study

  • Thread starter Thread starter wfr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I don’t want to mislead. I do not know that the leader of this study is a Protestant pastor. All I know is that he mentioned that he had attended seminary.

I also do not know the history of this study. Having said this I also am concerned about giving Protestants such free access to Catholics who unknowingly may attend just to study the Bible.

This is why I have offered to start a Bible study that is faithful to the Church.

It has been my experance that because Many Catholics are respectful of Protestant faith, they innocently believe that Protestants will treat them the same way.

Even worse are those Catholics who have the mind set that we “all believe in Jesus.” I am going to try to catch Father after Mass this morning and voice my concerns.

PAX CHRISTI
Bill
 
=wfr;7893233]Hi Gang,
I have a problem that I would like your help with. This morning, for the first time, I attended an ecumenical Bible study hosted at our parish. Of the twelve or so men attending, there were only two Catholics, including myself. We were discussing Acts 8; Peter’s encounter with Simon the Magician. I off -handily mentioned that some early Church writers indicate that Simon later went back to his old ways and opposed Christianity (i.e. Irenaeus Against Heresies; Book I, Chapter 23 and St. Justin of Rome, First Apolog., xxvi, lvi; Dialogus c. Tryphonem, cxx). I did not assert that this was so, I only made a historical observation.
At this the gentleman sitting across from me mumbled under his breath “Sooo …. Simon wasn’t saved. OOOOH K.” I was somewhat taken a back with this as I believed I had made a fairly innocuous statement. This gentleman then looked at the man sitting beside him and they both rolled their eyes. He then slid his Bible over to the other guy and tapped the page with his finger.
So, here’s my dilemma. The whole point, as I understand it, of an ecumenical Bible study is to be able to discuss differing opinions in a way that respects our differences. If these guys get so bent out of shape over such trivial things, I wonder what is going to happen when a real issue of importance comes up.
PAX CHRISTI,
Bill
Not being their places our opinions at risk of being judgmental. But your there it seems to me [IMO] to make the truth [which must be singular on any precise issue] known.

In an effort to encourage deabte you might keep these verses handy…

Mt. 16:19 and the key’s [all of them] 🙂

**Phil.2: 2 ** “complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.”

Eph. 4: 1-7 “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body [WHICH MEANS ONE CHURCH] and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, [Meaning only One set of beliefs[/COLOR]] one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.

**John.10: 16 **“And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd”

**John 17:20-23 **"I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. “

And these on “bible study”:

**Rom.10: 17 **“So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ”

2nd. Peter 1: 16-21 “For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For when he received honor and glory from God the Father and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,” we heard this voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. And we have the prophetic word made more sure. You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”

ACTS 8: 29-32 “And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and asked, “**Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless some one guides me?” **And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of the scripture which he was reading was this: "As a sheep led to the slaughter or a lamb before its shearer is dumb, so he opens not his mouth.”

Eph.3: 9 to 12 “And to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; that through the church [SINGULAR: THEE CATHOLIC Church] the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places. This was according to the eternal purpose which he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and confidence of access through our faith in him. “

NO Other “churches” existed for at least 900 years after written. Temples, and Synagogue’s yes; but no churches.

** 2nd. Tim. 3:16** All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work"

Unless you and God are able to level the filed; their seems to be little room for actual dialog.

Perhaps discuss your concerns with the Group Moderator?

God Bless,
Pat
 
Don’t feel bad–Peter and the apostles weren’t welcomed by many at the Jewish temple when they studied the bible.

If Protestants get so mad at hearing Catholic truth that they want to fight then they’d be no different than the ones who wanted to silence the disicples in the book of Acts.

Catholics will always be attacked by some Protestants who are the spiritual descendents of those who LEFT Jesus in John 6:66!

They didn’t believe in the Body and Blood of Christ then and they don’t believe in the Body and Blood of Christ now!

My suggestioon for any Ecumenical bible study is to teach John chapter 6 FIRST!!!

Once you do you won’t have to worry anymore about teaching an Ecumenical bible study!

You can get back to teaching a Catholic bible study!
 
=wfr;7894296]Hi all
Thanks for all the great advice. I am a former Baptist minister so I know the mind set well. I also know my faith and have no problem defending it. My first thought was to catch these guys after the study and take them down a notch or two; there is a time when I would have done it and enjoied it. But I am older now and hopefully a little wiser now and I understand that I would win the fight but lose the war.
The study is led by a Protestant gentalman who my be a preacher but I am not sure. I did not say if Simon was saved or not, I simply made a comment.
I too am concerned that Catholics may have their faith weakened by such a study, especially because it is hosted by my parish. I guess I am going to have to approach this thing as an evangelism opportunity.
PAX CHRISTY
Welcome Home Friend!

God Bless you,
Pat
Bill
 
Hi All,

I don’t want to mislead. I do not know that the leader of this study is a Protestant pastor. All I know is that he mentioned that he had attended seminary.

I also do not know the history of this study. Having said this I also am concerned about giving Protestants such free access to Catholics who unknowingly may attend just to study the Bible.

This is why I have offered to start a Bible study that is faithful to the Church.

It has been my experance that because Many Catholics are respectful of Protestant faith, they innocently believe that Protestants will treat them the same way.

Even worse are those Catholics who have the mind set that we “all believe in Jesus.” I am going to try to catch Father after Mass this morning and voice my concerns.

PAX CHRISTI
Bill
After having clearly identified the problem, it sounds like you have the solution well in hand. A prayer said for your meeting with Father.
 
Hi Gang,
I have a problem that I would like your help with. This morning, for the first time, I attended an ecumenical Bible study hosted at our parish. Of the twelve or so men attending, there were only two Catholics, including myself. We were discussing Acts 8; Peter’s encounter with Simon the Magician. I off -handily mentioned that some early Church writers indicate that Simon later went back to his old ways and opposed Christianity (i.e. Irenaeus Against Heresies; Book I, Chapter 23 and St. Justin of Rome, First Apolog., xxvi, lvi; Dialogus c. Tryphonem, cxx). I did not assert that this was so, I only made a historical observation.

At this the gentleman sitting across from me mumbled under his breath “Sooo …. Simon wasn’t saved. OOOOH K.” I was somewhat taken a back with this as I believed I had made a fairly innocuous statement. This gentleman then looked at the man sitting beside him and they both rolled their eyes. He then slid his Bible over to the other guy and tapped the page with his finger.

At this I asked him if I had said something controversial. His only answer was, “James 5:15.” I asked how this text was relevant to our discussion. He answered, “Read it.” I stated that I knew what James 5:15 said, I just did not understand how it applied to Simon the Magician (actually I knew the “once saved always saved” point he was making). At this he looked at the other guy again and gave him that “stupid Catholic” look and they both smirked. Not wanting to create a stink, especially as I was a new comer to the group, I dropped the issue.

So, here’s my dilemma. The whole point, as I understand it, of an ecumenical Bible study is to be able to discuss differing opinions in a way that respects our differences. If these guys get so bent out of shape over such trivial things, I wonder what is going to happen when a real issue of importance comes up. I would like to continue attending this group, but I need to find a way express my Catholic faith without alienating myself from the group. I don’t want to be labeled as a trouble-maker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PAX CHRISTI,
Bill
Oh Boy! Too bad I wasn’t there, I could have had a dandy time with that one! Look at verses 8:21, 22, 23 and 24 and ask your antagonist if a saved person has to repent. (The answer is no, by the way. A saved Evangelical could shoot up 3 orphanages and a Dairy Queen every day and dying unrepentent would still be saved. That’s the concept, bizarre as it may seem.)

What in the wide world of sports is your parish having an ecumenical Bible study for? To introduce your parish to heresy?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top