Hired to photograph a lesbian wedding

  • Thread starter Thread starter GerardAubyn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I’d cancel. You don’t need to explain why necessarily.
 
it is really rough out there economically , guys

taking the moralistic high ground is great

but if a professional photographer is paid to “take pictures” of people dancing, eating & drinking at a meaningless party event

i just can’t fathom how that is a sin…
 
Last edited:
I truly do not intend to book any more weddings like this one, so I think my confession would be valid.
Repentance means that one is willing to turn away from sin now, not at some point in the future.

And if you do this while specifically planning to go to confession and “repent” afterwards, that is itself a sin of presumption.
 
the ceremony has no meaning

would it be sinful to take pictures at any other event christians don’t recognize as legit?
 
Last edited:
I think it would be best to say sorry can’t do it, but it’s your soul. I don’t know if it’s mortal sin or venial sin or what, but I would err on the side of caution, but you gotta make that choice for yourself. I’ll say a Hail Mary for you.
 
You should check with your priest to be sure but I don’t believe this is a sin. At least that is what I learned from one of my priests when I was in a similar situation.

Thank you for treating gay people with respect.
 
The Catechism of the Catholic Church maintains that homosexual people must be treated with dignity and charity (not verbatim) As you say, you are providing a service, not endorsing the event. The two people, made in the image and likeness of God, deserve the same treatment as all other persons. Do your job, as you say, don’t post it on your website, be kind, considerate, and charitable, collect the fee, provide the product, and if it bothers you, do a little more prior examination before the next wedding.
My two cents.
 
Do it, but do just a bit badly, barely detectable.
Do NOT do this. It’s completely dishonest. If your conscience forbids you to photograph a same-sex wedding, then don’t do it.

But to accept the job and then cheat the people paying you would certainly, absolutely, unquestionably be a sin.
 
The two people, made in the image and likeness of God, deserve the same treatment as all other persons.
Not really. We deserve respect - which does not imply “the same treatment”. It seems regrettable that a photographer can’t simply decline the job.
 
I suggest you read many law cases that involve just this sort of thing if you decide to back out. Start with LifeSiteNews.com.

Personally, I would consult a lawyer and see what you would have to do to back out. This is not a question of people making a mountain out of a mole hill. Very likely, you may have been targeted. Now, gay activists target people and make profits from the court cases for their supposed feeling of being discriminated against.

And if the “couple” decides to give you a shoutout on facebook, you will have many more such weddings to do.
 
Last edited:
consult a lawyer? LOL; walk into his/her office door; the clock is ticking at minimum $200/hr

take the pictures!
 
Last edited:
I suggest you read many law cases that involve just this sort of thing if you decide to back out. Start with LifeSiteNews.com.
If you’re looking for legal advice, about the last place I’d look is LifeSiteNews. Seriously. Talk to a lawyer if you feel you need one.

Or just do the job you agreed to do. And if you’re uncomfortable with it, don’t do another.
 
Where I’m from, you can get a half hour with a lawyer for free. In any case, I’d be willing to pay $300 to learn exactly what I’d be best advised to do, and to protect my conscience.

As I said, this will very likely happen to the photographer again. And lawyers need photographers too, so they may accept a trade of photography services for advice.
 
Last edited:
Spiridon, LifeSiteNews has many stories of exactly this type of problem. For instance, you can be legally enmeshed for years if you say no to a gay couple for anything like cake decorating for a wedding, refusing to rent them space etc.

I didn’t mean get legal advice from LifeSiteNews. But the readers above are not very aware how serious things have gotten.
 
Last edited:
We had three computers at work generate alerts sourced from LifeSiteNews.com. They were/are hosting bitcoin mining javascript. They’ve either been hacked or are generating revenue from it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top