Wow, this many responses to a fairly simple query. And such a diversity of answers. I’m looking forward to the responses to the difficult questions I have.
My personal opinions to both of these issues is that they are contrary to what has been the norm for 2000 years. I was an altar boy when the Latin Mass was still the only Mass, when the priest still faced the Tabernacle, as opposed to the Novus Ordo where he turns his back on the Holy of Holies in order to face the sinners. Although I knew the words of the Latin Mass, altar boy training, I had no idea what the words meant, which added to the mystery of the Mass. Today I know the words and what they mean and the “mystery of this water and wine” is clearer to me, I still feel that there was more reverence in the Latin Mass.
You may be tempted to assume that maybe my own reverece has waned, which I sometimes do myself, but as an altar boy and even before and after being so, I was at Mass with my parents, and so was not entirely a voluntary candidate. Today I am a voluntary Mass goer, and I feel that because of the influence of others, particularly converts like Scott Hahn and Rosalind Moss, whom the Holy Spirit has set on fire, my faith has matured a lot. Most of the new, post Vatican 2, introductions leave me scratching my receding hair line.
Is being hipper being holier? I don’t think so.
My own treasure chest of intercessors, saints and angels, are all pre Vatican 2, and I feel in good company following their lead.
For now at least I’ll seek the nearby hands in Mass as a wish to confer a sign of peace after the Our Father.
Failing to kneel for the consecration and communion amounts to something akin to sacrilege. To be given the privilege of joining the apostles in the upper room for the last supper, to be at the foot of the cross while the expiring Body of our Savior is being offered to the Father for my failures and being allowed to partake in the Bread of Eternal Life without a gesture of humility trivializes the sacrifice.
Blessed Virgin Mary, help me to experience the Passion and Death of your Son as you yourself did, and lead me in understanding that my redemption was purchased by His suffering. May the Bread of Life sustain and strengthe me always.
Jesus, my Lord and my God, who else has the words of Eternal Life.