L
leonie
Guest
To provide a program for a mass audience, you have to try to address the needs of the majority. CCD is aimed at public school kids getting little catechesis at home.
I wonder if a sacramental prep program can be more flexible to meet the needs of kids in different places. I’m just brainstorming. But, maybe a variety of six week programs could be offered at different levels on different topics.
For example, I wouldn’t take my child to a class to learn the basic prayers and sign of the cross and beginning faith facts, but I would love to take them on a bus tour of area churches–like a treasure hunt in which they go to each church and find the parts of the church and learn a little history of each parish.
Just thinking how parish catechesis can meet the needs of kids at different levels.
I know a parish that has a points type program for their faith formation. Different activities (including home study) count for a certain number of points.
Btw, homeschooled kids aren’t the only kids bored in ccd. I had a 7th grader ccd student from a devout family who was so far ahead of the other kids, it was silly for her to be in the class with kids who didn’t know a thing about purgatory, hadn’t been to confession since 2nd grade, had never heard of venial/mortal sin, and didn’t know basic Bible stories like the Passover…
I wonder if a sacramental prep program can be more flexible to meet the needs of kids in different places. I’m just brainstorming. But, maybe a variety of six week programs could be offered at different levels on different topics.
For example, I wouldn’t take my child to a class to learn the basic prayers and sign of the cross and beginning faith facts, but I would love to take them on a bus tour of area churches–like a treasure hunt in which they go to each church and find the parts of the church and learn a little history of each parish.
Just thinking how parish catechesis can meet the needs of kids at different levels.
I know a parish that has a points type program for their faith formation. Different activities (including home study) count for a certain number of points.
Btw, homeschooled kids aren’t the only kids bored in ccd. I had a 7th grader ccd student from a devout family who was so far ahead of the other kids, it was silly for her to be in the class with kids who didn’t know a thing about purgatory, hadn’t been to confession since 2nd grade, had never heard of venial/mortal sin, and didn’t know basic Bible stories like the Passover…