Homo- Sexuality

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fanti
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying that everyone without a support system of family and friends “finds a way” just isn’t true. Some of them don’t find a way and end up homeless, living on the street or in their car. And some of those people end up dead. I’ve known a few who have.
 
Last edited:
Obviously, you skipped [or chose to ignore] footnote ‘7’…data taken from pro-homosexual sources which supports the assertion that children raised by same-sex parents are many times more likely to be non-heterosexual than those raised by biological parents.
You’re going after the messenger, and ignoring the message.
 
That’s the best description of depression I’ve read. It describes what I went through perfectly. But for the grace of God, I wouldn’t be here today.
 
As Christians, aren’t we call not to judge, but to love and be compassionate? Aren’t they also made in the image of God?
I’m going to assume that others have addressed your first two questions, with excerpts from the catechism, or other church documents, so I will not address that.

With respect to question no. 3, this is mis-interpreted constantly by people.

We are called not to judge the state of one’s soul (only God can do that), but we are to judge each other actions, and correct each other lovingly as a parent corrects a child when they do something we don’t approve of, when they do something the church has stated is sinful. So I’m not touching the condition of your niece’s soul with a 10-foot pole, but if she committed homosexual acts then according to the Church she has sinned. Whether she reconciled with God for any sins she may have committed throughout her life prior to dying is between her and God and I would encourage thoughts of mercy.
 
Obviously, you skipped [or chose to ignore] footnote ‘7’…data taken from pro-homosexual sources which supports the assertion that children raised by same-sex parents are many times more likely to be non-heterosexual than those raised by biological parents.
You’re going after the messenger, and ignoring the message.
The message is only as credible as the messenger.
 
Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut. That comes from a talk the Holy Spirit put on my heart to write for the youth in my community. But I believe anyone would benefit from hearing it. I present it for the first time in about a month if you’d pray for me as I prepare to do it I’d be appreciative 🙂
 
That’s a logical fallacy. Truth doesn’t change based on who states it.
This is not a “truth”. It is an argument being made by an academic, and the quality of the argument is dependant on whether or not there is bias in the research.
 
That doesn’t explain why SSA is used in place of homosexuality.
Maybe it’s me being judgey. It’s a distinction without a difference.
 
Saying it’s a choice makes it sound as though it is actively chosen, which is unlikely, but there is evidence that SSA can be ‘learned’…the children raised by same-sex parents are many times more likely to have SSA than are the children raised in a traditional family, so ‘learning’ does occur.
The only people overly concerned about whether the children of gay parents turn out gay are those people who think that it’s a bad thing to be gay. And the vast and overwhelming majority of people who are gay had straight parents. It’s obvious that gay parenting is not an important thing to consider in trying to determine what causes someone to be gay.
 
Fair point. Perhaps they think saying SSA doesn’t imply sexual relations whereas the homosexual label is usually used by those who advocate such relations as being as normal as heterosexual and thus the listener is inclined to think practicing homosexual. Kind of a nuance thing? If so, it’s probably meant to relieve one of having to modify homosexual whenever one is speaking about the practice, the attraction or the individual who labels himself as such, which leaves the question of practicing or not open. That’s my guess anyway.

Sodomite, of course, relieves one of any such burden since one either is or isn’t one. Someone with SSA who isn’t a sodomite isn’t sinning. And SSA isn’t special. It’s just one of many problems of concupiscence and isn’t really worth discussion on its own.

And, of course, people get unduly upset at the word sodomite, but homosexual isn’t a synonym, making the use of the word homosexual (or gay) clunky.
 
Last edited:
Sodomite, of course, relieves one of any such burden since one either is or isn’t one. Someone with SSA who isn’t a sodomite isn’t sinning. And SSA isn’t special. It’s just one of many problems of concupiscence and isn’t really worth discussion on its own.

And, of course, people get unduly upset at the word sodomite, but homosexual isn’t a synonym, making the use of the word homosexual (or gay) clunky.
As you point out, people get upset with the word “sodomite” and even the Catechism doesn’t use this word, preferring instead to speak of “homosexual persons.” Perhaps this is because, as the Catechism says, “They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity.” It might not be perceived as showing “respect, compassion, and sensitivity” to refer to homosexual persons as “sodomites,” especially by the homosexual persons themselves. Unless someone wants to purposely be insensitive and disrespectful, it’s probably best not to use the word “sodomite.”
 
Last edited:
Not all homosexuals are sodomites and not all sodomites are homosexuals (I assume by homosexual you mean SSA) but all sodomites are committing a grave sin. Calling a spade a spade isn’t disrespectful. Sodomy is an act and the one who willingly carries out that act is a sodomite. To whom one is attracted isn’t relevant.
 
Last edited:
Not all homosexuals are sodomites and not all sodomites are homosexuals (I assume by homosexual you mean SSA) but all sodomites are committing a grave sin. Calling a spade a spade isn’t disrespectful. Sodomy is an act and the one who willingly carries out that act is a sodomite. To whom one is attracted isn’t relevant.
The only reason to use certain kinds of words is to intentionally provoke people and there’s nothing kind or compassionate about it. It says more about the person using those words than it does about the person or people at whom they are directed.
 
Last edited:
I guess you can assume that if it pleases you. But the word is accurate and concise. It is you who attaches more to the word than it’s meaning. The word is neutral. It describes an action or the one doing the action, no different than a miner who mines or a conductor conducting.

I’m beginning to think this is about forcing the conversation to their concupiscence rather than the sin that is borne of it in order to muddy the waters and try to get people to feel sorry for their struggle or rather excuse their lack of struggle with it. It’s not the word that is ugly, it’s the sin. No one likes to be called an adulterer, but it is not a dirty word because they don’t want to hear it. The adulterer and the sodomite are both able to receive the forgiveness of God from their crimes against Him.
 
Last edited:
I guess you can assume that if it pleases you. But the word is accurate and concise. It is you who attaches more to the word than it’s meaning. The word is neutral. It describes an action or the one doing the action, no different than a miner who mines or a conductor conducting.
The words “sodomy” and “sodomite” are hardly neutral words. As Mark D. Jordan, Distinguished Professor of Religion and Politics at Washington University, says in his book The Invention of Sodomy in Christian Theology (University of Chicago Press, 1997), pp. 1 & 29:
Sodomy is a medieval artifact. I have found no trace of the term before the eleventh century. It is also a medieval artifact as a category for classifying - for uniting and explaining - desires, dispositions, and acts that had earlier been classified differently and separately. But “Sodomy” is also a judgment. The judgment made in “Sodomy” has been as durable as any medieval artifact…The fearful abstraction in our use of the term is medieval, as is our prurient confusion over what the word really means…The credit - or rather the blame - for inventing the word sodomia , “Sodomy,” must go, I think, to the eleventh century theologian Peter Damian. He coined it quite deliberately on analogy to blasphemia, “blasphemy,” which is to say, on analogy to the most explicit sin of denying God. Indeed, from its origin, Sodomy is as much a theological category as trinity, incarnation, sacrament, or papal infallibility. As a category, it is richly invested with specific notions of sin and retribution, responsibility and guilt. The category was never meant to be neutrally descriptive, and it is doubtful whether any operation can purify it of its theological origins. There is no way to make “Sodomy” objective.
 
Last edited:
They did it to avoid calling them sodomites since sodomy is the crime they say they have to commit and no one was going to fall for “love is love” when they talked about sodomy.
Or maybe it’s used because it’s accurate. Someone with same-sex attraction is – guess what?-- attracted to members of the same sex.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
 
I don’t think being gay/bi etc is a choice. I have a close friend who tells me he would give anything to be hetrosexual as life is a daily struggle. Yes, Pride events occur but there are still incidents of hate crime and his father cannot accept him.
Yes, I love others for who they are not what they are. Good people are good people. I know many gay people who have the kindest hearts as I know many hetro people who don’t. Sexuality does not change who you are. There is absolutley nothing wrong in being celebate, I studied Theology at university with a fellow Catholic who was openly gay but celebate the same as many Catholic Hetro people who rightly wait until marriage.
I think, personally, the LGBT culture does put pressure on people belonging to this group, to become active. I think this is a shame. Why can’t ALL people be encourage by society to remain pure until marriage or stay pure until death? It seems to be frowned upon and it’s such a shame.
I agree we should not judge. Only God can do this. Everyone is made in the image of God and we are all his children.
 
They did it to avoid calling them sodomites since sodomy is the crime they say they have to commit and no one was going to fall for “love is love” when they talked about sodomy.
Did you mean ‘crime’ or sin?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top