Honest Apostasy -- Leaving the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter gracepoole
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gracepoole

Guest
I’ve read so many forum and Facebook posts from people who are leaving the Church in the wake of the most recent eruption of scandals. I wonder for how many, their believe in Church teachings wasn’t extremely strong to begin with. I say this not to be insensitive or assuming. I myself have struggled and I consider my own faith a constant work in progress. I left when I was much younger and made my way back. But if I’m honest, I’m growing weary of those who are, with great flourish, announcing their departures. And something about this article – though it’s extremely snarky and at times ugly – resonates with me.
Linker says it was beauty that brought him into the Church. And Melinda wishes she had more power. But, here’s the thing: there is more beauty in an old woman faithfully saying her rosary by herself than in all the stunning cathedrals in the world, and more power than in all the chanceries.
 
I wonder for how many, their believe in Church teachings wasn’t extremely strong to begin with.
I’m not sure I’d characterize it as “lack of strength.” On the other hand, “lack of accurate catechesis”, such that the strength of their faith is misdirected (perhaps, through no fault of their own), seems realistic. 🤷‍♂️
 
40.png
gracepoole:
I wonder for how many, their believe in Church teachings wasn’t extremely strong to begin with.
I’m not sure I’d characterize it as “lack of strength.” On the other hand, “lack of accurate catechesis”, such that the strength of their faith is misdirected (perhaps, through no fault of their own), seems realistic. 🤷‍♂️
So normally I’d agree. Maybe even in many cases I’d agree. One of the bloggers about which the linked article was written, though, is a woman who’s made a living of writing and speaking about the faith. She actually published books titled Sexual Authenticity (on authentic Catholic sexuality re: homosexuals) and Slave of Two Masters (on the Church’s social teachings), and has now explained that she has disavowed herself of the Church. At least for now. Apparently she might be willing to come back if the Church someday meets her requirements. In any case, it seems she was fully catechized through her own intensive efforts. And yet she recently penned this:
Because I write a lot about sexuality and because I’m fairly liberal, it is invariably assumed that lust is among (perhaps foremost among) the sins that have led me down the garden path to hell. This is the intended “gotcha” moment where the priest accurately scries the secrets of your soul and uncovers the real ulterior motive behind your supposedly intellectual reservations.

The thing is, it’s a Barnum statement. The way that Catholic sexual morality is constructed, there is almost nobody who is able to practice it. Catholics are trained to feel deeply ashamed of this, so when they are accused of their “secret sin” it starts up a cycle of self-doubt that makes them more susceptible to authoritarian claims. I mean, what if it really does just come down to lust? What if I’m not thinking or acting in good faith, but rather trying to justify this shameful addiction to sex?

Nevermind that the “addiction” in this case is actually a natural drive which most humans have as a means of perpetuating the species. Telling someone that their natural drives are shameful and sinful is a great way to destablize their self-concept and to make them vulnerable to manipulation and abuse.

In my personal case, though, it backfires every single time. Why? Because while my orientation is primarily same-sex, I’m also borderline asexual. Going without sex doesn’t bother me particularly. I’ve studied human sexuality enough to know that if my intellectual integrity is being eroded by lust, then intellectual integrity is something that only a very small number of humans could ever hope to attain to.
 
Last edited:
ok; you are “leaving” ; where are you going?
You’re speaking of those highlighted in the linked article…right? ‘Cause I ain’t goin’ nowhere.

One of the two highlighted has joined the Canadian Anglican Church.
 
i’ve never heard of “canadian anglican” that would be protestant

i am not taking that journey
 
Me either. I qualified Anglican with “Canadian” because apparently there’s some difference between Anglican churches in the US and those in Canada? 🤷‍♀️
 
I’ve never left the Church. I’ve been hard headed throughout it all. To be honest, I’m exhausted with theology. I spent my young adult years listening to Catholic Answers, taking classes at FUS, going through every apologist guided bible study, listening to lectures of Humanae Vitae. I swallowed it all.

And my devotional life was one of old people swarming over me like I was a celebrity. “Oh, you attend daily Mass. I’m praying you discern what convent you’re called to join.” I explored many sectors of Catholicism as well.

I’m 37 and I attended one inquiry class at an Orthodox parish and two Vespers in response to the scandal. Then I went to confession. I haven’t gone sense. I feel my relationship with the Church is changing. I’m going in a spiritual direction where there is less awe and wonder from others and more criticism. But those who would condemn me are places I feel I’ve been before. I keep reflecting on the dark night of the soul and on humility. God is humbling me with this imperfect Church.

I don’t blame or worry for those leaving. I do not judge their destinations. I have faith in God’s goodness. I think the issue is that people judge others because it’s rooted in how they motivate themselves to be devout. If those people over there are going to Heaven, why do I need to put in so much work?

There’s that parable of the workers of the vineyard we should all reflect upon.
 
i don’t know

my simple advice to you would be : stick with with Mother Catholic Roman Church

times are definitely tough; Jesus promised we will get through it
 
Last edited:
i’m not leaving the Church. those who are are making an extreme mistake
 
They remind me of people who “flounce” off forums. When a guy says he never really believed in Catholicism and now is leaving, I want to say “don’t let the door hit you” but I know God wants me to care so I pray to him for patience and for greater desire to help people believe.
 
just stand by Mother Roman Church; protestantints nterpret theological issues on their own

we Catholics have Mother Church to show us the way

stay the course

Jesus promised the Church He left behind will stand

i admit these are dark days
 
I qualified Anglican with “Canadian” because apparently there’s some difference between Anglican churches in the US and those in Canada?
The Anglican Church of Canada is the Episcopal Church in Canada.
The Anglican Church in North America is in both countries. This is why Anglican could mean anything in Canada but in the US, it’s more specific.
 
Last edited:
roger that; in my parish we’ve had middle eastern christians speaking about their experiences of daily persecution

no sense going into detail; i am sure you can imagine what they are dealing with in the original Holy Land

not one of those persecuted middle eastern christians has ever expressed the slightest intention of leaving Mother Church,
 
Last edited:
?

which Anglican/Episcopal Church is “official” ?

Ireland? Northern Ireland? Canada? England? Australia? NZ?

i am confused

a “Church” is supposed to be “universal” ; not “national” …
 
I have a bad habit of venting on this forum, and some things I could say I’ve said before, so I’ll try to make this brief.

Right now being in the Catholic Church is a moot point for me because there’s no Catholic church close enough for me to attend. Unless it is God’s will to perform a miracle this is unlikely to ever change. That being said…

Years ago I was a very devout Catholic, and for a lay Catholic, I think fairly well catechized. I was a certified lay catechist in my archdiocese. Yet for me faith has always been a struggle. There are many reasons. It didn’t help that I lived in a Protestant state, and constantly saw my friends being fed and supported in their churches. As in so many Catholic churches, most people in my church seemed only interested in fulfilling their obligations then leaving as quickly as possible so they could be somewhere they wanted to be. An unfortunate sermon at a particularly bad time in my life nearly tipped me over the edge and gave me doubts for years. Most of the time I felt, spiritually, like those saints who live for years on nothing but the Eucharist. It was the only thing keeping me going. And, please God forgive me, sometimes it barely seemed like enough.

My point? The Catholic Church, even with truth on its side, lacks many of the things that other churches use to support their members’ faith. And yet the only areas in which it excels, the Eucharist its possession of the Fullness of Truth, are matters of faith. One often needs a strong, self-sustaining faith to stay a Catholic. Not everyone has this gift. Then faith can be eroded by mental or physical causes. To even remain a believer, some need more human support than the Church can provide. I’ve heard others ask, and I’ve asked myself, is it not better to leave the Church than to lose one’s faith entirely?

So please don’t judge those who leave too harshly. You really can’t realize how terribly, heartbreakingly difficult it can be until you’ve been there.
 
catholic priests were hung by the neck from wires in slovakia at the end of wwii. a canadian catholic from that region whose family was forced to immigrate there told me so

i wish i was making this up
 
so what alternative are you you considering? nonfaithfulness or the shattered glass that comprises the “protestant” church;

which really doesn’t even exist
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top