A
ARH521
Guest
I was invited to a house-warming party for a non-married couple. Is it morally acceptable to attend?
I certainly wouldn’t.I was invited to a house-warming party for a non-married couple. Is it morally acceptable to attend?
I am wondering why you were invited? You aren’t friends with them right?I was invited to a house-warming party for a non-married couple. Is it morally acceptable to attend?
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the OP should never visit their house or eat with them again. We are not talking about shunning anyone, just not attending a party that celebrates the fact that they are living together outside marriage in a stable environment. I also don’t think that failing to encourage others in their sin means that you think you are better than they are. I hope others (regardless of their spiritual status in comparison with mine–about which I refuse to speculate in either direction) will not encourage me in my sins.I dunno. Jesus kept eating meals with hookers and thieves. I’m never sure why people think they should shun someone because they aren’t living up to the moral standards of the Church. Saint Augustine said we should believe others are better than we in the depth of their souls, even when we appear to be better than they.
Says who? We can most certainly judge the actions of others.I’ll voice the minority opinion…
You can let them know that you are not endorsing or condoning thier living arraingment as it conflicts with your faith, but that you love them both and want to be there with them.
It is VERY specifically not our job to judge the sins and actions of others. Letting them know (privately) that you’re concerned for their souls is a wonderful thing to do… Standing in judgement of them is not
It not only involves the persons there but the scandal given to others present.I’ll voice the minority opinion…
You can let them know that you are not endorsing or condoning thier living arraingment as it conflicts with your faith, but that you love them both and want to be there with them.
It is VERY specifically not our job to judge the sins and actions of others. Letting them know (privately) that you’re concerned for their souls is a wonderful thing to do… Standing in judgement of them is not
Just my 2 cents
God bless
Says who? We can most certainly judge the actions of others.
What we can not do, however, is judge their souls (tell them they are going to hell). But we can always judge actions. Without the ability to judge actions, morality falls into shambles.
Indeed. I need to correct my initial comment. Attending a house-warming party for them, which is the case here, directly celebrates their choice to live together outside of marriage. Attending this specific function is a cooperation in the sin, as many have noted. It also gives scandal to those witnessing a Catholic showig support for such sin.It not only involves the persons there but the scandal given to others present.
It is actually does fall to us to judge the sins and actions of others –in the sense of the objective nature of the action. Such is different from “judging” the persons guilt.
This will be of interest:
blog.adw.org/2010/06/correcting-the-sinner-is-not-being-judgmental-it-is-an-essential-work-of-charity/
blog.adw.org/2009/11/fraternal-correction-the-forgotten-virtue/
The particular problem here is that one is “celebrating” and thus praising and approving the objectively wrong living arrangements. And such does not only involve the couple themselves but others there too who see that one is celebrating such. See the Catechism above (forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=9905036&postcount=9)
I will add this too for readers from Pope Benedict XVI (this wonderfully written of course):
vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/messages/lent/documents/hf_ben-xvi_mes_20111103_lent-2012_en.html
I see no difference. And what they are celebrating is buying a house. If you visit them and eat with them, you can’t go see their new house?I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the OP should never visit their house or eat with them again. We are not talking about shunning anyone, just not attending a party that celebrates the fact that they are living together outside marriage in a stable environment.
“Celebrated sin?” They bought a house not a king-sized bed. If we don’t go to the house-warming parties, can we go to the “new pool” party if they put one in? Does one “celebrate sin” but not the other? Both? If one of them dies, can we go to the wake to comfort the bereaved partner left behind, or would we be approving their sinful relationship?I don’t remember any mention in the Gospels of Jesus attending a party that celebrated sin.
There’s not a shred of evidence in Scripture that this is true. We have several instances of Jesus at dinner and hardly any examples, or none, really, of Him rebuking sinners. He called out those Pharisees a lot, though. Did you notice that while He pointed out to the woman at the well she was living with a man to whom she was not wed, He didn’t tell her to change anything?Christ certainly ate and befriended sinners…but He NEVER condoned, or accepted sin. He always called it for what it is and rebuked the sinner to sin no more.
Do a word search on an online Bible source for “go and sin no more”. Then there are the sellers at the Temple…then teh rebuking of the disciples with little faith…woe to you or Chorizon (comparing them to Sodom or Ghamora"…the separating of the goats from the lambs…“get behind Me Satan!” (rebuking Peter for having the thoughts of man)…“whoever causes one of these little ones to stumble…better a millstone be tied around his neck…”…the teaching on adultery and why a writ of divorece had been allowed, yet calling such adultery…calling out the hypoocrits who tested Him…rebuking the Apostles for being afraid in the boat…“if they do not listen to you [disciples preaching the Gospel], shake the dust from your sandals as testimony against them…”There’s not a shred of evidence in Scripture that this is true. We have several instances of Jesus at dinner and hardly any examples, or none, really, if Him rebuking sinners. He called out those Pharisees a lot, though. Did you notice that while He pointed out to the woman at the well she was living with a man to whom she was not wed, He didn’t tell her to change anything?
I was responding to what you actually wrote which was this:Do a word search on an online Bible source for “go and sin no more”. Then there are the sellers at the Temple…then teh rebuking of the disciples with little faith…woe to you or Chorizon (comparing them to Sodom or Ghamora"…the separating of the goats from the lambs…“get behind Me Satan!” (rebuking Peter for having the thoughts of man)…“whoever causes one of these little ones to stumble…better a millstone be tied around his neck…”
Do you know how many times we see Jesus eating with people in their homes? Do you know, of those times, how many include Him rebuking anyone at the table or in the house for any sin?Christ certainly ate and befriended sinners…but He NEVER condoned, or accepted sin. He always called it for what it is and rebuked the sinner to sin no more.
If I say to someone 'that is stealing" but do not add “you should stop doing that” …that does not mean that I was not indicating a need for a change?Did you notice that while He pointed out to the woman at the well she was living with a man to whom she was not wed, He didn’t tell her to change anything?