Housewarming for non-married couple

  • Thread starter Thread starter ARH521
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding to what you actually wrote which was this:

Do you know how many times we see Jesus eating with people in their homes? Do you know, of those times, how many include Him rebuking anyone at the table or in the house for any sin?

What you said about Jesus is simply not factual as far as we know. I already pointed out at least one instance where Jesus did not tell the sinner to “sin no more” or rebuke her for doing just what we are talking about here: living with someone to whom she was not married.
But He did call it for what it was. He pointed out her sin. In fact she was embarrassed about it as I recall. Then she asked for the Life-giving waters so she would no longer thirst (she repented). Do you recall Jesus ever saying, “you are sinning, but that’s okay…you’re a nice person and I don’t want to hurt your feelings…carry on.”?
 
@julia: if you are arguing that Christ never rebuked a sinner while sitting down to dinner with them, you may be right, but that is not what I understood ahs to have posted.
 
I stand by my answer…

However, I’ve written and deleted this post a good dozen times already. Each time i write it I notice that while I am accusing others of (possibly unfairly) judging the couple, that I run the grave risk of (possibly unfairly) judging those I feel are doing the judging. It seems I’ve found a log in my own eye and I need to step away for a bit before I can help anyone (if they want help or not 🙂 ) with the sliver in thier eye.

God bless and please say a quick prayer for me… Thanks
 
I would never expect someone to violate their religion in order to celebrate with me.
If I decided to have a pig roast at my home on a Saturday afternoon, I wouldn’t expect my orthodox Jewish friends to attend something that violates their traditions. In real life, I have a cousin who is in a Christian church that doesn’t believe in dancing. He came for our wedding, came for cocktail hour, and then left when the DJ started playing dancing music. Was he judging us for having dancing? I have no idea, but it never occurred to me to have an expectation that he needs to celebrate every single thing, regardless of his beliefs and religious practices. But for some reason people often assume that if Catholics and other Christians don’t want to take part in something that violates our practices, we are just being judgmental. We Catholics probably to do a better job at practicing our own faith without judging others. It’s often a difficult balance.
 
. Each time i write it I notice that while I am accusing others of (possibly unfairly) judging the couple, that I run the grave risk of (possibly unfairly) judging those I feel are doing the judging. It seems I’ve found a log in my own eye and I need to step away for a bit before I can help anyone (if they want help or not 🙂 ) with the sliver in thier eye.

God bless and please say a quick prayer for me… Thanks
This would be good to read:

blog.adw.org/2010/06/correcting-the-sinner-is-not-being-judgmental-it-is-an-essential-work-of-charity/

blog.adw.org/2009/11/fraternal-correction-the-forgotten-virtue/

“Not judging” others is often misunderstood.

and vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/messages/lent/documents/hf_ben-xvi_mes_20111103_lent-2012_en.html
 
Are they Catholics?
No…at least I don’t think so, but does it matter?

Thank you all for responding. I wasn’t planning on going, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t wrong in my assessment of the situation.
 
Thank you but I’m not misunderstanding it… I’m just in danger of doing it.
I suggest that there is some misunderstanding and that reading of the above links will be very good for all concerned.
 
But He did call it for what it was. He pointed out her sin. In fact she was embarrassed about it as I recall.
No, no indication of her being embarrassed.
Then she asked for the Life-giving waters so she would no longer thirst (she repented).
No, she didn’t understand what He was saying, she wanted the water so she never had to come back there again.
Do you recall Jesus ever saying, “you are sinning, but that’s okay…you’re a nice person and I don’t want to hurt your feelings…carry on.”?
Here’s the point you keep trying to avoid: Jesus did not go to dinner with sinners and point out their sins and tell them to repent.

And, in fact, Jesus never that we saw ever tell that woman at the well to stop living with the man or to marry him.
 
@julia: if you are arguing that Christ never rebuked a sinner while sitting down to dinner with them, you may be right, but that is not what I understood ahs to have posted.
Right here:

…
Christ certainly ate and befriended sinners…but He NEVER condoned, or accepted sin. He always called it for what it is and rebuked the sinner to sin no more.
I believe typos explain ahs did really not suggest Jesus actually ate sinners 😃 but He also did not ALWAYS talk about it or tell them to stop. In fact, I cannot recall a single instance when Jesus was eating with sinners or in their homes that He did this. Not one. But if you know one, I’d be happy to see it.
 
If I say to someone 'that is stealing" but do not add “you should stop doing that” …that does not mean that I was not indicating a need for a change?

Sometimes we see him being quite direct such as “go and sin no more”…other times he is drawing others to himself the Savior and Son of God --from which can come radical change.

And it is very important to note that while Jesus ate and drank with sinners etc – Jesus did not engage in celebrating (which is what this party can be said to be doing) a sinful living situation.
 
Right here:

…

I believe typos explain ahs did really not suggest Jesus actually ate sinners 😃 but He also did not ALWAYS talk about it or tell them to stop. In fact, I cannot recall a single instance when Jesus was eating with sinners or in their homes that He did this. Not one. But if you know one, I’d be happy to see it.
I stand by my comment (except where I said Jesus ate sinners 😉 ). Christ’s message was to repent. He rebuked sin many times in Scripture and when He encountered sin He rebuked it…both explicitly “go and sin no more” etc…and implicitly…by His message of repentance.

I do not believe that just because you don’t see Christ saying, while eating with sinners, “sin no more” that one can assume He did not rebuke sin in those cases, if sin had been committed. Eating with sinners does not mean He encountered sin during those occassions…and it also does not mean He changed His message of repentance for those occassions so as not to rebuke those He ate with. Perhaps my logic is flawed here…and you can coorect my thinking by providing an example for me of Christ condoning sin or telling anyone to carry on in their sinful way. During any of these meals…can you show where a sin was pointed out or committed and Christ said it was okay?

These articles, posted several times now, get us back to toward to gist of what we are talking about…we are to rebuke our neighbor/brother when he/she sins…we are admonished to correct the sinner…in a spirit of gentleness and respect of course.

blog.adw.org/2010/06/correcting-the-sinner-is-not-being-judgmental-it-is-an-essential-work-of-charity/

blog.adw.org/2009/11/fraternal-correction-the-forgotten-virtue/
 
We do not see Jesus attending the celebration of an unmarried couple moving in together .
 
I stand by my comment (except where I said Jesus ate sinners 😉 ). Christ’s message was to repent. He rebuked sin many times in Scripture and when He encountered sin He rebuked it…both explicitly “go and sin no more” etc…and implicitly…by His message of repentance.

I do not believe that just because you don’t see Christ saying, while eating with sinners, “sin no more” that one can assume He did not rebuke sin in those cases,…
That’s not the point and not what you said. You said He ALWAYS did. He did not. Not once that we can see. The one making the assumption was you and you were wrong.

Mischaracterizing Jesus is kind of a thing with me. Trying to change what you said, which I have now copied over three times, so you don’t have to simply admit what you said was factually unproveable, doesn’t change that you were wrong.

Jesus ate with sinners. It was such outrageous behavior His family was summoned. What did He say about those sinners He was eating with?

**These are my mother and brothers and sisters. **

It cannot be wrong to do what Jesus did. If OP wants to go, she can go. If she doesn’t, don’t. It’s not a moral issue, it’s a social one.
 
We do not see Jesus attending the celebration of an unmarried couple moving in together .
We don’t see Him eating with sinners and calling them out, either. And I didn’t know they were moving in together right now, I thought the OP just said they’d bought a house and were having a house warming.
I was invited to a house-warming party for a non-married couple.
From the information we have so far they might have been living together for years.
 
What did He say about those sinners He was eating with?

These are my mother and brothers and sisters.
Actually when he said that he noted who where his mother and brother and sisters…

those who* do* the will of God…(see Mark 3:35, Matt 12:48)

(hence are not living as grave “sinners” or are repentant if they were…)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top