How Catholic teaching has ruined my dating life.

  • Thread starter Thread starter montanaman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a practicing Catholic coming from a family deeply involved in the Church. My uncle is a Franciscan Novice Master, my aunt is an Augustanian nun. My mother has served several terms on our parish pastoral council as well as on the governing board of the Catholic school affiliated to our parish. I am 34, I have spent the better part of my youth building a solid professional career. This has seen me living in nine different cities (on three different continents) over the past sixteen years. I have followed Catholic teaching that the only purpose of dating (or to use the more appropriate term courtship) is to find a wife and other than that all other women are to be treated as sisters in all holiness.

I am now at a point in my life where I am prepared to answer God’s call to marriage and am looking around and finding that the pool of available women is uninviting. I should pick someone from the faith and I may not become involved with someone who is divorced. The problem is that the Catholic Church is so desperate to keep young people in its seats that there is very little teaching about courtship that happens and all the young people in my parish are dating, from as early as sixteen. The Catechism teaches that we should not set out looking for girlfriends/boyfriends but when we are ready for the responsibilities of marriage should court with the purpose of finding a partner, but how many Catholic young people follow this teaching today? [In my present parish we have a young man (27) who is in charge of faith-sharing groups and an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist who has a “girlfriend” who has been baptized in another Christian church (although is not actively practicing any faith) with whom, he has privately told me, he is sexually active and because of that uses condoms and has no intention of marriage right now because he is still building his career]. I mention this example only to show the kind of behavior that is considered normative by young Catholics.

If this is normative, where do I, never having had a “girlfriend” and waiting for marriage, fit? The moral scandals that have affected the Catholic Church seem to prevent it from teaching its own principles because these may seem heavy or rigid to people it desperately wants to keep in the flock. I haven’t heard a minister preach about sin directly in a very long while! The message is always delivered in such a “user-friendly” manner that: we should put other people before ourselves; we should help those less fortunate; we must forgive (a “social gospel” if you like) that very little attention is given to helping people understand that their actions have consequences. So the young Catholic thinks he can start dating when he is in high school, have a series of monogamous sexual relationships during college, decide on “the one”, receive the sacrament of reconciliation for not following church teaching and then have a nuptial mass, even if “the one” is not Catholic herself…and all this with the full knowledge of his parish priest. So yes I can agree with the view that Catholic teaching has destroyed my dating life and has now placed me in a very awkward position. Actually I am also beginning to wonder if I need to broaden my search to other countries. **
 
So, by my calculations, that means there might be three or four girls in the world that make the final cut. (I hope they’re in America). Now, do you see how this drastically effects my dating life? Anyone else run into this? Any other guys rearranging their socks on nights when they used to be out partying?

MM
That reminds me of back in the day when my friends and I were still single. Our favorite expression was “I know that God made one perfect woman for each man, unfortunately mine just got killed by a rice harvesting machine in China”

Patience is a virtue, and trust me you WILL need it once in a relationship. 😃
 
That reminds me of back in the day when my friends and I were still single. Our favorite expression was “I know that God made one perfect woman for each man, unfortunately mine just got killed by a rice harvesting machine in China”

Patience is a virtue, and trust me you WILL need it once in a relationship. 😃
Dude, waaaaayyyy old thread. This guy is married and has a kid now. (to a Catholic)

But honestly, there is no reason to trust you that he would find a relationship… I mean, how would you know what God’s plan was for him?
 
Back in the bad old days, (about a year ago), it was very simple: I would meet a girl through a friend, or perhaps at some politcal function, or if I really wanted to break the rules, at work. Once in a while I’d get bored and curious and sign on to some Internet singles site. A pretty predictable course of events would follow: Most girls would move too fast even for me, or they would drop some deal-breaker on the first date like, “I’m against abortion, but I don’t think it’s my place to say it’s wrong,” or just as bad, “I think Michael Moore has a lot of good things to say.” But once in a while, I’d meet a girl I could see myself spending time with.

Well, obviously that has never worked well. I’m single, (though I’m loving it for a change), but now as I consider taking a dip in the dating pool again, I have several self-or-Jesus-imposed rules I that drain that pool considerably. Generally speaking, if she wants to grope, I lose interest, (ideologically speaking, of course. It’s not to say that a certain animal part of me isn’t on board with that thought…). If she departs radically from Catholic-inspired beliefs, she’s out. She doesn’t have to BE Catholic, but it helps. However, if she suggests at some point during the relationship that “after our third child you can get snipped,” I’m gone. (It’s happened before–and she taught CCD).

So, by my calculations, that means there might be three or four girls in the world that make the final cut. (I hope they’re in America). Now, do you see how this drastically effects my dating life? Anyone else run into this? Any other guys rearranging their socks on nights when they used to be out partying?

MM

Disclaimer: The above sentiments do not reflect a desire to leave the Church, disaffection with Church doctrine, or anything less than joy at the late realization of what true freedom is…
Get a sandwich board made up - you know the sort of thing. Maybe on the front you could have “Catholic Guy wants Wife - See Face above Board” and on the back you could have a catchy message eg. “No Jack Chicks need Apply”, and maybe your phone number or internet site. And then go for a walk down Main Street.

Just kidding.

I’m not sure what you’re after - whether just pleasant, ethical company, or a lifelong mate. I remember my old pastor saying he’d heard of some very good marriages resulting from newspaper advertisments. After all the person who places the advertisment, and a serious respondent are both after the same thing.
 
Dude, waaaaayyyy old thread. This guy is married and has a kid now. (to a Catholic)

But honestly, there is no reason to trust you that he would find a relationship… I mean, how would you know what God’s plan was for him?
Ooops, it showed up in my list as a new thread.

No one needs to know what God’s plan is for another but we should all know that God has plans for each of us, just as He promised.
 
Considering the OP is now married and a father, I am going to guess that Catholic teaching did not ruin his dating life afterall.
 
Back in the bad old days, (about a year ago), it was very simple: I would meet a girl through a friend, or perhaps at some politcal function, or if I really wanted to break the rules, at work. Once in a while I’d get bored and curious and sign on to some Internet singles site. A pretty predictable course of events would follow: Most girls would move too fast even for me, or they would drop some deal-breaker on the first date like, “I’m against abortion, but I don’t think it’s my place to say it’s wrong,” or just as bad, “I think Michael Moore has a lot of good things to say.” But once in a while, I’d meet a girl I could see myself spending time with.

Well, obviously that has never worked well. I’m single, (though I’m loving it for a change), but now as I consider taking a dip in the dating pool again, I have several self-or-Jesus-imposed rules I that drain that pool considerably. Generally speaking, if she wants to grope, I lose interest, (ideologically speaking, of course. It’s not to say that a certain animal part of me isn’t on board with that thought…). If she departs radically from Catholic-inspired beliefs, she’s out. She doesn’t have to BE Catholic, but it helps. However, if she suggests at some point during the relationship that “after our third child you can get snipped,” I’m gone. (It’s happened before–and she taught CCD).

So, by my calculations, that means there might be three or four girls in the world that make the final cut. (I hope they’re in America). Now, do you see how this drastically effects my dating life? Anyone else run into this? Any other guys rearranging their socks on nights when they used to be out partying?

MM

Disclaimer: The above sentiments do not reflect a desire to leave the Church, disaffection with Church doctrine, or anything less than joy at the late realization of what true freedom is…
Like some of the single women I have seen posting on this board I think you are being too picky and judgmental (and that’s my judgment 👍). Michael Moore has some pretty obtuse and stupid things to say… but not always, some of the stuff he says is right on target, maybe those are the only things she has heard him say… did you ask? I assume not.

So a person said you could get snipped, she probably didn’t want to try to scare you off that because she teaches CCD that she was going to be some kind of uber zealot.

Relax… it takes many dates to truly get to know someone and if they are right or wrong. You can’t judge someone on a sentence, phrase or one night. And I didnt’ see how old you are but there are a lot young people who do feel certain things outside of outright intercourse are ok… but that’ something you can both talk about as well, not just throw them out.

Joe
 
That reminds me of back in the day when my friends and I were still single. Our favorite expression was “I know that God made one perfect woman for each man, unfortunately mine just got killed by a rice harvesting machine in China”

Patience is a virtue, and trust me you WILL need it once in a relationship. 😃
Lol. That’s an awesome quote.

Btw, I’m now happily married and we have a 17 month old son. In this relationship, they are the binary stars that my universe revolves around.
 
Considering the OP is now married and a father, I am going to guess that Catholic teaching did not ruin his dating life afterall.
Lol. No, but you need to know the Faith and your Bible. I had to go hunting off the reservation.

Of course, now that she’s Catholic, ironically, she causes me more grief with her Catholic zeal than she ever did with her Protestant badgering.😃
 
Back in the bad old days, (about a year ago), it was very simple: I would meet a girl through a friend, or perhaps at some politcal function, or if I really wanted to break the rules, at work. Once in a while I’d get bored and curious and sign on to some Internet singles site. A pretty predictable course of events would follow: Most girls would move too fast even for me, or they would drop some deal-breaker on the first date like, “I’m against abortion, but I don’t think it’s my place to say it’s wrong,” or just as bad, “I think Michael Moore has a lot of good things to say.” But once in a while, I’d meet a girl I could see myself spending time with.

Well, obviously that has never worked well. I’m single, (though I’m loving it for a change), but now as I consider taking a dip in the dating pool again, I have several self-or-Jesus-imposed rules I that drain that pool considerably. Generally speaking, if she wants to grope, I lose interest, (ideologically speaking, of course. It’s not to say that a certain animal part of me isn’t on board with that thought…). If she departs radically from Catholic-inspired beliefs, she’s out. She doesn’t have to BE Catholic, but it helps. However, if she suggests at some point during the relationship that “after our third child you can get snipped,” I’m gone. (It’s happened before–and she taught CCD).

So, by my calculations, that means there might be three or four girls in the world that make the final cut. (I hope they’re in America). Now, do you see how this drastically effects my dating life? Anyone else run into this? Any other guys rearranging their socks on nights when they used to be out partying?

MM

Disclaimer: The above sentiments do not reflect a desire to leave the Church, disaffection with Church doctrine, or anything less than joy at the late realization of what true freedom is…
Catholic teaching hasn’t ruined your dating life; society has ruined your dating life. Way back when, the Catholic teaching mixed just fine with “dating” (way back when). But, society changed and it became hard. It’s society’s fault, not Catholicism. Society’s the thing that changed.
 
Catholic teaching hasn’t ruined your dating life; society has ruined your dating life. Way back when, the Catholic teaching mixed just fine with “dating” (way back when). But, society changed and it became hard. It’s society’s fault, not Catholicism. Society’s the thing that changed.
I hate when these old threads pop up. I was such an idiot and it showed. I hope things have changed.

Actually, more to the point of this thread, things have changed a lot. I’m happily married to a beautiful Catholic girl (had to cross the fence and steal a Protestant from her herd), and we have two amazing little boys. I’m also working on a time machine in my spare time so I can go back and kick my own butt for being such a moron.
 
LOL… there are a few single guys on this forum with the same gripe… Jeez… you thought what, there were only 3 or 4 women out there, in the whole world that might fit the bill (when really there was only 1… for you!)… now they’re down to 2 or 3…

JK… You should link this to their threads… It’s all about perception…
 
Back in the bad old days, (about a year ago), it was very simple: I would meet a girl through a friend, or perhaps at some politcal function, or if I really wanted to break the rules, at work. Once in a while I’d get bored and curious and sign on to some Internet singles site. A pretty predictable course of events would follow: Most girls would move too fast even for me, or they would drop some deal-breaker on the first date like, “I’m against abortion, but I don’t think it’s my place to say it’s wrong,” or just as bad, “I think Michael Moore has a lot of good things to say.” But once in a while, I’d meet a girl I could see myself spending time with.

Well, obviously that has never worked well. I’m single, (though I’m loving it for a change), but now as I consider taking a dip in the dating pool again, I have several self-or-Jesus-imposed rules I that drain that pool considerably. Generally speaking, if she wants to grope, I lose interest, (ideologically speaking, of course. It’s not to say that a certain animal part of me isn’t on board with that thought…). If she departs radically from Catholic-inspired beliefs, she’s out. She doesn’t have to BE Catholic, but it helps. However, if she suggests at some point during the relationship that “after our third child you can get snipped,” I’m gone. (It’s happened before–and she taught CCD).

So, by my calculations, that means there might be three or four girls in the world that make the final cut. (I hope they’re in America). Now, do you see how this drastically effects my dating life? Anyone else run into this? Any other guys rearranging their socks on nights when they used to be out partying?

MM

Disclaimer: The above sentiments do not reflect a desire to leave the Church, disaffection with Church doctrine, or anything less than joy at the late realization of what true freedom is…
Yes welcome to my world only the biggest thing I run into is guys wanting sex. When they find out that’s not going to happen given my religious beliefs it’s adios.

Finding someone who isn’t anticatholic seems to be really hard too even among Catholics. 🤷
 
I hate when these old threads pop up. I was such an idiot and it showed. I hope things have changed.

Actually, more to the point of this thread, things have changed a lot. I’m happily married to a beautiful Catholic girl (had to cross the fence and steal a Protestant from her herd), and we have two amazing little boys. I’m also working on a time machine in my spare time so I can go back and kick my own butt for being such a moron.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

When I saw this thread resurrected (again 😉 ), I thought, “He’s totally married now, with at least a kid or two…” You poor guy, for some strange reason, this thread just won’t die! (Maybe a mod can close it for you? :hmmm: )
 
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

When I saw this thread resurrected (again 😉 ), I thought, “He’s totally married now, with at least a kid or two…” You poor guy, for some strange reason, this thread just won’t die! (Maybe a mod can close it for you? :hmmm: )
I was thinking the same thing…
:rotfl:
“Forgive and forget” isn’t as easy when it’s bumped back into memory… 😃
 
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

When I saw this thread resurrected (again 😉 ), I thought, “He’s totally married now, with at least a kid or two…” You poor guy, for some strange reason, this thread just won’t die! (Maybe a mod can close it for you? :hmmm: )
:rotfl:. . . Oh, the old thread shows it’s head. . . thanks for the sorely needed laugh, though. Congratulations, MM, (albeit, late) on your marriage and new family!

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself about things you felt years ago . . . just goes to show, when you are handling trials . . . “This too shall pass!” 😃

Pax
 
I don’t know, I think it’s a great thread. Ask and ye shall recieve, you know?

But the middle of the story is missing. Is the girl you went on the date with the one you married, I assume?
 
Good for you, but I think you underestimate your dating pool. Fortunetly today there are terrific places to meet Catholic singles who will meet all of your criteria, for instance I would suggest www.catholicmatch.com. I was only on it briefly before I met my wife, however I remember it was pretty through in the data it collected to help ensure you were match with someone that isn’t going to spring non-catholic teachings on you. I had several categories of church teachings which participants are asked if they agree or disagree (including the non-negotiables), and even delves into whether or not you have a calling to a vocation other than marriage (so you aren’t hit with a fine young lady who becomes a nun on you all of the sudden).

I’d highly recommend giving them a shot.
 
I hate when these old threads pop up. I was such an idiot and it showed. I hope things have changed.

Actually, more to the point of this thread, things have changed a lot. I’m happily married to a beautiful Catholic girl (had to cross the fence and steal a Protestant from her herd), and we have two amazing little boys. I’m also working on a time machine in my spare time so I can go back and kick my own butt for being such a moron.
This resurection bit me in the behind and I had a long wonderful posting about different ways to meet a nice young lady lol. Congratulations on your marriage, and what a conincidence I also stole a protestant and made her my awesome Catholic wife =)
 
I don’t know, I think it’s a great thread. Ask and ye shall recieve, you know?

But the middle of the story is missing. Is the girl you went on the date with the one you married, I assume?
Yea, I wanna know too! I just found this thread and the happy ending came pretty fast!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top