How come so many Catholics actively support activities that the Church opposes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cornucopian1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are sexual beings, and although obviously the main purpose of sex is to produce offspring, it is not the only reason.
Which is why God created us with the possibility of the marital act when the wife is not fertile, unlike other mammals.
The church teaches that oral sex and masturbation is also wrong, but some people may not be able to have penetrative sex for some reason,
That is their cross, not a reason to sin.
masturbation is a normal stage of puberty,
There are a lot of things which are “normal” for various stages of life–does that make thise things right? Does the fact they are “normal” mean that parents do not try to get their children to rise above their physical urges?
saying that you should abstain if you dont want to have children or use nfp is unreasonable.
How is it unreasonable?
I can understand that the pill is an abortifacient, but I cant see the problem with condoms.
Because the problem with using the Pill is that it is being used to frustrate the “end” or purpose of marital activity. The condom is used for the same purpose.

*In addition, *the Pill is abortifacient, which is just added onto the contraceptive effect.

As I pointed out earlier, the idea that the Pill is bad *only *because it is abortifacient is a Protestant idea.

You know, I have seen you post several things which indicate a lack of understanding of the *Catholic *point of view. You mentioned having converted–this leads me to think that in this area you still lack understanding of how the Church views this issue. I think that you might be better off asking a person in real life to explain it to you, and listen to that person with an open mind, not in that state where one’s mind is more occupied with what one is going to respond, iyswim.

This is really a beautiful teaching on God’s allowing us to cooperate in the creation of His highest creature, another human being with an eternal soul! And making the act of potentially creating a new soul unitive and pleasurable, yet not constant so that we can use our wills, our decision-making power, to decide. We are not overcome as animals are; we are able to engage in the marital act even when the wife is not fertile–*we *decide, and God allows us to decide.

But to decide and still grab at sex whenever one wants it is perverting that act. God gives us a gift, *bit we grab for it all: *sex without babies whenever we want. It is dehumanizing. It is a denial of the feminine and of the masculine. It reduces us and destroys our dignity.

But you don’t know me, and you can’t see me. I think you need the human contact along with the explanation in order for it to become clear.
 
I am trying to go back to Church after a long time and I am amazed at the amount of support for gay ‘marriage’:confused:, abortion, contraception and porn from people who go to church regularly.

Isn’t the Bible clear on such issues? I have been told by some that the Church needs to evolve and be open to new ideas.

Is it safe to say these people are no longer Christians if they reject the institution of marriage and sanctity of life? Christianity cannot survive without marriage and the Bible is very clear on its purpose and meaning of it.

Finally, is there any good book/documentary you would recommend on we ended up in such a sad situation? I was reading about the 45 goals of communism and I find it amazing how so many goals have been accomplished.
Just chiming in to say welcome back to the Church, and don’t be discouraged! I hope you can find some good faithful Catholic friends. I understand that may be more difficult in some cities or regions, but they are out there.

As for a book recommendation, I would say “Goodbye, Good Men” by Michael Rose explains a great deal about our current situation. But it’s also very encouraging to realize that the situation in the seminaries and the calibre of our new young priests has vastly improved since he wrote the book in the 1990s. And don’t just read about the bad things going on in the Church. 🙂 Read some of the many books that will help you understand better the beauty of our Catholic faith and draw you closer to God–Scott Hahn’s books might be a good place to start.

As to the number of people who ignore the clear teaching of the Church and Scripture, St. Paul had something to say about that almost 2,000 years ago:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke, and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching. ** For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths. ** As for you, always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil your ministry.
For I am already on the point of being sacrificed; the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. --I Timothy 4:1-8
Keep on fighting the good fight, and take heart in the words of our Lord that the gates of hell will not prevail against the Church he founded.
 
We are sexual beings, and although obviously the main purpose of sex is to produce offspring, it is not the only reason. The church teaches that oral sex and masturbation is also wrong, but some people may not be able to have penetrative sex for some reason, masturbation is a normal stage of puberty, saying that you should abstain if you dont want to have children or use nfp is unreasonable. I can understand that the pill is an abortifacient, but I cant see the problem with condoms.
Are you aware of the Canon 750? To oppose such teachings as described below is a grave sin. Therefore we should assent to the teaching from the Catechism:
2396 Among the sins gravely contrary to chastity are masturbation, fornication, pornography, and homosexual practices.
2399 The regulation of births represents one of the aspects of responsible fatherhood and motherhood. Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception).
CIC Canon 750 – § 1. Those things are to be believed by divine and catholic faith which are contained in the word of God as it has been written or handed down by tradition, that is, in the single deposit of faith entrusted to the Church, and which are at the same time proposed as divinely revealed either by the solemn Magisterium of the Church, or by its ordinary and universal Magisterium, which in fact is manifested by the common adherence of Christ’s faithful under the guidance of the sacred Magisterium. All are therefore bound to avoid any contrary doctrines.
§ 2. Furthermore, each and everything set forth definitively by the Magisterium of the Church regarding teaching on faith and morals must be firmly accepted and held; namely, those things required for the holy keeping and faithful exposition of the deposit of faith; therefore, anyone who rejects propositions which are to be held definitively sets himself against the teaching of the Catholic Church.
 
Vico, I will then have to leave the church, as I cannot accept this teaching.
 
I am trying to go back to Church after a long time and I am amazed at the amount of support for gay ‘marriage’:confused:, abortion, contraception and porn from people who go to church regularly.

Isn’t the Bible clear on such issues? I have been told by some that the Church needs to evolve and be open to new ideas.

Is it safe to say these people are no longer Christians if they reject the institution of marriage and sanctity of life? Christianity cannot survive without marriage and the Bible is very clear on its purpose and meaning of it.

Finally, is there any good book/documentary you would recommend on we ended up in such a sad situation? I was reading about the 45 goals of communism and I find it amazing how so many goals have been accomplished.
I heard someone on a Catholic Answers Live podcast say something to the effect “The church is perfect, the people are not.” We are all sinners and so we need to look at ourselves as much as our brothers and sisters sitting along side us in the pews every Mass and wonder “why do I continue to sin?” What keeps us from following Jesus? Is it my personal belief that everyone is entitled to live their lives any way they choose? Is it how I don’t believe reading the on-line news is not stealing from my employer? Have mercy on your brothers and sisters in Christ as you would ask God to have mercy on you. God Bless you.:signofcross:
 
Vico, I will then have to leave the church, as I cannot accept this teaching.
Burdock
Please pray on this before you make your decision. Following church doctrine is not easy just as following Our Lord is difficult. But the rewards outweigh the sacrifice. God Bless you.
 
Hello Burdock.
Vico, I will then have to leave the church, as I cannot accept this teaching.
You don’t have to leave; you simply need to stop receiving Communion until you accept the Church’s teaching on contraception and the rest. Jus sit in the pew on Sunday when everyone else goes up and pray about it. If you ask for guidance, the holy Spirit will not disappoint you. He is after all, the source of all the Church teaches and He prevents her from falling into error. If you simply sat there and were honest with God about this, I can pretty much guarantee that your heart will be moved. But you’re the one, the ONLY ONE, who can open it to God. If you open it He can show you the way.

Glenda
 
Well that would mean id never receive it then, there are many of us who shouldn’t be recieving then, probably most of the congregation.
 
Hello Burdock.
Well that would mean id never receive it then, there are many of us who shouldn’t be recieving then, probably most of the congregation.
Well then, since you cannot open your heart to the Holy Spirit, I’d say at least be honest about your position when you go on Sunday and out of respect for the Church, do not receive.

Glenda
 
Well that would mean id never receive it then, there are many of us who shouldn’t be recieving then, probably most of the congregation.
That may be true, since as I mentioned before people are so poorly catechized and lead lives where they conform to the culture and hardly question or consider what is really right and wrong.

Poor catechesis may be the Church’s fault. But are poor decisions our own fault?

I would still like to have a dialogue with you about the issue of contraception. Could you please provide the reasons that you think it should be considered okay, and respond to at least some of the people who have presented reasons that it should not?

I have not yet seen here from you any effort to respond and have a rational discussion. This, and your assertion that you must leave the Church, lead me to believe that contraception is really not the issue for you. I don’t know of anyone who just loves the Church and accepts all its teachings–but because of the issue of contraception, that’s the one-issue dealbreaker and you must leave the Church.

Usually in such cases there are more underlying issues of hurt or perceived slights, emotional barriers preventing us from having a rational discussion over the issues.
 
Well that would mean id never receive it then, there are many of us who shouldn’t be recieving then, probably most of the congregation.
Is your heart so hard that you leave open NO possibility that you might be in error?

Christ told us that the path to Heaven was narrow. We need to conform ourselves to Him and His Church, we don’t need to demand that He conform to our wishes.
 
Well that would mean id never receive it then, there are many of us who shouldn’t be recieving then, probably most of the congregation.
If they know what the Church teaches or are willfully avoiding that knowledge! Paul said that many were sick because they did not receive with proper disposition:

1 Corinthians 11
27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.* 28 A person should examine himself,* and so eat the bread and drink the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment* on himself. 30 That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying. 31 If we discerned ourselves, we would not be under judgment; 32 but since we are judged by [the] Lord, we are being disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.m
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top