W
whatistrue
Guest
I am sad that we need people to do this, glad that we have them, and tremendously thankful that I was never called upon to do it myself.When I was a sex abuse investigator
I am sad that we need people to do this, glad that we have them, and tremendously thankful that I was never called upon to do it myself.When I was a sex abuse investigator
How do you pick them out?Allowing healthy married men could leaven the priesthood to a great degree, by changing the culture for the better.
You vet. You change the culture.goout:![]()
How do you pick them out?Allowing healthy married men could leaven the priesthood to a great degree, by changing the culture for the better.
These healthy married men?
The most skilled of predators often hide beneath a veneer of respectability. If being married with children is considered more respectable then predators will be married with children.
None of this is easy.How do you pick them out?
These healthy married men?
When I was a sex abuse investigator, the majority of child sex abusers had previous or current relationships with women, married or more likely cohabitation, often had children of their own.
Take a picture of yourself. Smile for the camera!You’d think their rottenness would manifest in seminary in ways their superiors would see.
They have no “test” that will flag evil peopleForgive me if I spoke in ignorance. But it doesn’t make sense to me how evil people have slipped through.
Well, they do trip alarm bells when there actually are some to trip. The problem in that past was that there were so many opportunities to arrange for predatory behavior because we thought it was more charitable to trust everyone as if no one could ever hide this kind of intention behind a charming front and lots of praiseworthy conduct.They have no “test” that will flag evil people
Recently had my training update on abuse and it made clear
- background checks don’t really help since most abusers don’t have a record
- they are trusted people, most have spent their lives working with kids
- they don’t trip alarm bells, until after they are caught and everyone has hindsight
Actually, during my training I recently learned that sometimes abusers actually will sign to allow a criminal background check assuming nobody will bother to look. People with criminal backgrounds actually have been caught trying to gain access to children by simply doing a criminal background check.They have no “test” that will flag evil people
Recently had my training update on abuse and it made clear
- background checks don’t really help since most abusers don’t have a record
- they are trusted people, most have spent their lives working with kids
- they don’t trip alarm bells, until after they are caught and everyone has hindsight
I didn’t say that.How does allowing marriage innoculate against clerical culture?
I have a different take on this, since the family of someone I know left the Church in about 1910 or so and went to the Protestant church in their town because the parents felt the parish priest couldn’t be trusted around children but no one believed them. That’s why I don’t believe that this kind of thing never happened in the past: that is, because we know that unspeakable things were covered up in order to put on a good front. That is just what was done at all levels of society with all kinds of things. Little people who had unflattering truths to tell about people who had positions of honor weren’t usually listened to. If they were listened to, the matter was handled “quietly,” as if it never happened and would never happen again. It is the way it was done with families, it was the way it was done in churches, it was the way it was done among the nobility and the upper classes, because people were so protective of reputations, even to the point of protecting the reputations of actual wrong-doers from those who really did have a legitimate reason to know what had been done. The group that the wrong-doer belonged to protected the wrong-doer because the groups wanted to have the reputation of 100% upstanding members, even at the price of denying justice to members of their groups who had been victimized.How did so many get ordained in the last half century?
Yes. I made a distinction between defensive strategies that are like attempts to innoculate, and leavening, which may bring fresh and full perspective to the vocation.But didn’t you say that celibacy had a part to play in clerical culture and that ordaining married men would correct that?
This is not what the problems that denominations with married clergy indicates. Whatever the argument is for ordaining married men, bringing about more faithful behavior in the sexual realm is not it. The evidence does not support that. Putting clergy (or anybody else) above suspicion and not requiring them to follow the same rules as everyone else who has contact with children, on the other hand, is associated with more opportunities for abuse of that trust. Requiring even the clergy to follow the protocols meant to protect children and other vulnerable people from predators does protect the clergy from attracting people who want to use that position of trust to operate without suspicion or serious questions.Yes I did.
It’s one component of a culture. Celibacy is a good thing per se. Other factors mixed together form the stew. All the factors that it is possible to change should be looked at.It’s just a discipline.
If they do away with celibacy as a requirement it doesn’t bother me.
What bothers me is the idea that doing away with celibacy will solve the problem.
Too many people still consider celibacy as the cause of these sex abuse.
I know you don’t hold that idea but I think too many people do.