W
wildleafblower
Guest
Sorry wrong topic.
Not always. There are also designed things that are non-random.“non-random” = “undesigned”
Not usually, but there are designed things that are random. (any simulation that depends on random numbers, for example)“random” = “designed”
Wouldn’t “skeptic” indicate some familiarity with the theory itself?And by the way, as I believe I have mentioned before, I am neither a creationist nor an adherent of intelligent design; I am a Confirmed Skeptic of Darwinian Theory.
haven’t seen Nancy Reagan here so far Ed,. but yes some here do encourage people to adopt evolution, and some here have a constant refrain of “its only theory” “its full of holes” and “it hasn’t been sufficiently proven.” So what? Okay you say that evolution is being promoted because of how it affects people’s lives. Since I’m doing some promoting, you better tell me more about how this is affecting lives. I’m apparently out of the loop. Please explain what you mean here.As usual, slogans are the enemy. Anyone with half a brain who comes here would notice the constant, daily, “just say yes to evolution” rhetoric and realize, “Hey, if it’s so obvious and so scientific and easy enough for a teenager to understand, what is actually going on here?” What is actually going on here is a commitment to spreading the gospel of evolution to everyone precisely because of how this science affects people’s lives.
Well it would have been nice had you just directly stated what you mean instead of making us guess. Are you referring to how the military pushes forward certain science to develop better ways of killing? And your point is? Are you saying this makes teh techology of weapons development somehow incorrect as science and R and D? I mean in the sense that it promotes faulty science? Because if so, you must prove how the “misuse” of evolutionary theory affects the reliablitity of the science. And of course you must show us how its being misused, unless you simply mean by “atheists”.And to say that “science,” that great, self-correcting, always moving forward concept, is somehow living in this pure place where no mortal shall contemplate it in any other way than say, mathematics, is nonsense. Just google “culture war” to find out what I’m talking about.
I don’t go to them for that reason Ed, they are pretty much uncivilized and foul mouthed children. This is certainly no indictment of evolutionary theory either. If you go to just about any thread that deals with human behavior you will find the same childish antics. Its sport for kids Ed, stay away unless you like that sort of thing.On other Christian forums with less strict moderation, those who disagree with the evolutionary gospel are slammed, sometimes viciously, not for their lack of understanding but for their belief in a book of fairy tales and an invisible man in the sky. That’s what it always comes down to when someone does not say yes to evolution. It doesn’t matter if you slaughter animals in arcane rituals, as long as you believe in evolution, you are OK.
No one here disputes that science is not the entire answer I don’t think, or at least may not be. Certainly those who believe here aren’t taking that position and agree that the Church supplies the missing ingredients. What reinterpretation are you referring to ? And specifically what in the Magisterium is being ignored?For Catholics who want to follow Church teaching, textbook evolution is not the whole answer, divine providence is. But the "evolution is a fact’ crowd also want to reinterpret parts of the Bible, ignoring the Magisterium.
Ed
Has it ever occured to you that his question was just that? Unscientific and evincing an ignorant mind? I mean is it possible they were right? even remotely?These things usually follow a pattern, Ed. Several years ago, Dave Armstrong pinned down some strident Darwinists on the Straight Dope site and asked a very simple question, over and over again. None of them ever did give him an answer; all they did was tell him how unscientific and obviously ignorant he was.
He responded by suggesting that since they wouldn’t answer his question, it was likely that they didn’t have an answer, and then they piled on the invective, the insults, the name-calling, the usual standard procedure that inevitably follows when someone questions Darwinism. I have seen this same tactic used over and over and over again, by everybody from high school teachers to molecular biologists with doctorates: don’t discuss variant scientific evidence, just shout down your opponent and call him names, because he dares to disagree with Darwin. (shrug)
Read through it some time when you have a few minutes. It’s really quite enlightening and amusing.
socrates58.blogspot.com/2007/03/dialogue-on-materialist-evolutionary.html
No. It means, in your case, that you don’t understand what the theory is about. I know of people, such as Kurt Wise, who are fully aware of evolutionary theory and its claims, who still reject it. I’m suggesting that you might be more effective against science if you understood it better.“ignorant” That magic word that tells people “if only you understood then you would believe” in evolution.
Just for the record, summarize Darwin’s theory, and then tell us what was modified in the Modern Synthesis to make the current theory. (feel free to Google it; I don’t care if I stump you or not, it would be great if you looked it up and learned)I am not ignorant.
That’s not what he said, is it? But he’s right in the sense that no theory is ever “proven.” Proof is not part of science, because it never produces logical certainty. I encourage you to look up what Benedict actually said about this, for your own benefit.I am fully not accepting a theory that makes no sense. For example, Pope Benedict stated the evolution is not a complete, scientifically proven theory.
He differs with the Pontiff, who has pointed out that it is “virtually certain.” But of course, Benedict has a somewhat better grounding in science than Shoenborn, so that might be the reason.Cardinal Schoenborn stated that common descent “might” be true.
Quite the opposite. You walk around with “science blinders” on, ignoring evidence that supports evolution, and singing to the housetops “quotes” you’ve been given that seem to cast doubt on it.I do not walk around with “science blinders” on, ignoring statements that cast doubt on evolution and singing to the housetops those that do seem to support it, however circumspectly.
Well, that sounds like the magic bullet, doesn’t it? Ask me.Several years ago, Dave Armstrong pinned down some strident Darwinists on the Straight Dope site and asked a very simple question, over and over again. None of them ever did give him an answer; all they did was tell him how unscientific and obviously ignorant he was.
I am fully not accepting a theory that makes no sense. For example, Pope Benedict stated the evolution is not a complete, scientifically proven theory. Cardinal Schoenborn stated that common descent “might” be true. I do not walk around with “science blinders” on, ignoring statements that cast doubt on evolution and singing to the housetops those that do seem to support it, however circumspectly.“ignorant” That magic word that tells people “if only you understood then you would believe” in evolution. Not so. I am not ignorant.
One more time: ask me.Several years ago, Dave Armstrong pinned down some strident Darwinists on the Straight Dope site and asked a very simple question, over and over again. None of them ever did give him an answer; all they did was tell him how unscientific and obviously ignorant he was.
I was told by the house doorman that you need to pick up all those gauntlets before somebody trips over one of them and falls. Trash bags are in the maintenenance closet off to your left, there.One more time: ask me.
Very well, I’ll play along, but not for an extended period of time. These engagements tend to be dreary and pointless, but since you enjoy them, I’ll humor you.How could an eye evolve from a light-sensitive spot? Pretty simple. In fact, in some phyla, we still have most of the transitions available as living creatures. Let’s get started.
What brings on the pigmentation? What source cause is there for an animal to develop a dark spot?So the first steps are a pigmented spot, and/or more nerves.
How does the spot depress itself?What’s next? Well, if the spot is slightly depressed, the rim of the depression will cut off the light if it’s at an extreme angle.
How does a dark spot become deeper and narrower?A deeper pit works even better, and a narrower passage for the light also works better. Very simple variations, and each step useful.
Now its getting smaller as well. By what process?As the opening gets smaller
I can simulate nothing of the kind. I already have eyes----I cannot hope to simulate a dark spot on my skin becoming deep, narrow, and small, and then somehow magically being able to focus light. My eyes will function as they’re designed to function. Now as for dark spots—well, I have some freckles and moles, but…diffraction takes place, and the light becomes focused (you can simulate this effect by looking at very small details of an object through a tiny hole)
Uh-huh.And so a fuzzy image is now available. No designer necessary; the increasing acuity was exapted to a new function.
How does it get filled up with fluid? Where does the fluid come from? What generates the tissue changes necessary to deliver the fluid to the dark, recessed, narrow spot?If the pit is filled with a clear fluid, then it will not be gunked up by debris.
So now the skin is growing over the surface of the pit, like a wooden cap being placed on a well. This just gets better and better.But then, because fluids refract light, the focus can be made sharper. And if the opening is protected by a thin layer of skin, then any bulge in that layer can produce a better image.
Uh-huh.Of course, the nerve cells can gradually become more sensitive to light; each gradual change is useful and therefore no discontinuous change is required. A continuum of such increasingly sensitive retinas is known in nature.
Whoa, whoa, hold on a minute, now—we’ve just somehow jumped from a dark, fluid-filled pit on the surface of the skin to an eyeball, and the corresponding muscles to maneuver it. When, exactly, did this development take place?The iris, of course, is merely a very thin muscle, adapted from mesoderm, like the others. Likewise, the muscles that form to move the eyeball.
That’s wonderful, but it tells me nothing about how a fluid-filled pit turns into an eyeball.Vertebrate eyes are formed from neural tube cells, being essentially an extension of the brain, and thereby maintain the capsule of other nervous tissue, separate from the connective tissue around it.
Magic never is. Reality is harder.That didn’t seem very difficult.
When they turn into eyeballs, you might have something there. Until then, it’s still nothing more than speculative magic.It’s noteworthy that we see this happening again, in the infrared band in reptiles. The most primitive examples are lizards with simple patches of heat-sensitive cells on their faces.
Five million years from now, then, we’ll have snakes with multiple eyes? For what purpose?Some snakes have depressions to hold them, and others have deep depressions. Pit vipers have the constricted openings to allow diffraction, and have evolved a heat retina.
It’s still not an eyeball.The information from these “eyes” is interpreted in the optic tectum, to form a composite visual/infrared image. “Small, warm, and moving” elecits a strike.
If you must. Personally, I don’t see how diversity in various species of organism proves anything other than diversity, not development. But I know you get a huge charge out of all this, and I, of course, being the ignorant unscientific foil, get the lower apartment in the outhouse, so go ahead. But be advised, I will weary of the game soon.Would you like to see a series of increasingly evolved eyes in a phylum or two? Of necessity, I’ve had to be sparse with words. If you’d like more detai in some spot or another, let me know.
Brilliant The Barbarian. Wish you had been at “The Evolutionary Epic” conference in Hawaii at which I just spoke, on Catholicism and evolution.Would you like to see a series of increasingly evolved eyes in a phylum or two? Of necessity, I’ve had to be sparse with words. If you’d like more detail in some spot or another, let me know.
Yes dave seems to have a very lucrative looking business at that site does he not, selling all his tracts…hmmmm…I was told by the house doorman that you need to pick up all those gauntlets before somebody trips over one of them and falls. Trash bags are in the maintenenance closet off to your left, there.
That having been said, I’m going to use the usual tactic of Internet Darwinists and tell you to go to site and read it yourself: socrates58.blogspot.com/2007/03/dialogue-on-materialist-evolutionary.html
You’ll get the full, unexpurgated version of what he’s looking for, and I am confident that you, of all people here, can provide for him what they couldn’t. I’d take up one of those gauntlets you have laying all over the place in here, but Dave is much better suited for this sort of thing than I am, and besides, I plan to give up contentious and pointless debate for Lent.
Cheers, and best of luck.
SpiritMeadow, is creationism lucrative? I wish you could have been at the Evolutionary Epic" conference on Oahu last week – it was a rich discussion across many disciplines – cosmology and phyysics, biology, anthropology, pedagogy, philosophy, poetry, literature and theology. We had a special focus session on Catholicism and evolution, with I convened with a Dominican nun and a Jesuit priest.Yes dave seems to have a very lucrative looking business at that site does he not, selling all his tracts…hmmmm…
Thank you. I wish I had been able to attend. There is much going on in biology now, and the interface between faith and science is a very interesting subject. Are papers available on the net?Brilliant The Barbarian. Wish you had been at “The Evolutionary Epic” conference in Hawaii at which I just spoke, on Catholicism and evolution.
And this proves evolution exactly how?Yes dave seems to have a very lucrative looking business at that site does he not, selling all his tracts…hmmmm…
Pigmentation pre-exists for cover or protection from sun.…pigmentation?
Normal random variation. If it happens to be some benefit, it tends to spread.What source cause is there for an animal to develop a dark spot?
See previous.How does the spot depress itself?
Natural selection. There is always variation.How does a dark spot become deeper and narrower?
In any group of individuals, the opening will vary in size somewhat. If there’s a selective value to a smaller opening, those organisms having them will tend to leave more offspring.By what process?
Make a tiny hole with your thumb and forefinger, and see how it allows you to see small details better.I can simulate nothing of the kind.
For example, the opening happens to be closed by a thin layer of tissue.How does it get filled up with fluid?
Tissue fluid, for mollusks and vertebrates. Endoderm, in our case.Where does the fluid come from?
No. Such things happen naturally. If it happened to be useful, then it would tend to be retained.So now the skin is growing over the surface of the pit, like a wooden cap being placed on a well.
In humans, it’s because the eye is formed by the neural tube, which separates the eye from the surrounding matrix (hence eyeball) A late process in the evolution of eyes. And muscles are variable in detail; you have several that do nothing at all, for reasons that are not clear. On the other hand, such muscles, if they provided some benefit, would tend to be retained.Whoa, whoa, hold on a minute, now—we’ve just somehow jumped from a dark, fluid-filled pit on the surface of the skin to an eyeball, and the corresponding muscles to maneuver it. When, exactly, did this development take place?
It might be that until you learn a little more about biology, it will not be accessible to you. Most people can see it without much trouble. A book on comparative anatomy of vertebrates might be useful.That’s wonderful, but it tells me nothing about how a fluid-filled pit turns into an eyeball.
It’s another demonstration of the way such things form.When they turn into eyeballs, you might have something there.
We do now. They are just simple eyes.Five million years from now, then, we’ll have snakes with multiple eyes?
Read on.For what purpose?
Right. It’s in a much simpler stage. But it clearly shows how eyeballs can evolve.It’s still not an eyeball.
Not knowing what one is talking about, is a disability, yes.… I, of course, being the ignorant unscientific foil, get the lower apartment in the outhouse,