How important are wedding rings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mommamia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then one time I went out to eat w/ DH. It was to a fancy restaurant to celebrate our first date. I was clearly about to explode. He was wearing his ring. I handed the waiter DH’s credit card. And the waiter came back and said, “Miss X, I need your driver’s license to verify this credit card. It’s a man’s name.” I gave it to him. Then he said, “Your using your husband’s card to pay for this meal?” With a dark look and everything! You know, b/c 30 week pregnant, married women like to cheat with married men! And use their hubby’s card! OMGsh!!

/rant
I hope you spoke to a manager, or at least skipped the tip. That’s an inexcusable insinuation. :mad:
 
I hope you spoke to a manager, or at least skipped the tip. That’s an inexcusable insinuation. :mad:
Wouldn’t you think it was a really hard theory to believe? I mean, wouldn’t it have been easier to assume he was my hubbly bubbly?

I am thinking mr. waiter had a bad experience! DH was pretty angry. But I was too hormonal to complain. That lucky manager, he missed being talked to by a huge preggo woman!

lol!
 
Seriously people need to mind there own business.

I used to work for a jeweler. If you have a ring with stones on it you should not shower with it on, put lotion on it, sleep with it on. Those were the most common things that people did everyday that caused damage to their rings or cause them to lose stones. Replacing a stone due to neglience is extremely expensive.

It’s also not a good idea to exercise with them on as your fingers can swell during these activities.

I ride horses once a week afterwork, and my co workers always tease me about knowing when my lessons are because I don;t where my ring to work on those days.

I had a friend that freaked out when I took off my ring while cleaning my house…I told her “You are so right, my ring does represent my marriage, and out of respect for my marriage I take it off before cleaning toilets”

But seriously, you better honor your marriage by keeping all fingers intact, and respecting the investment your spouse made in your ring, by not damaging or destroying it.
 
That’s crazy! I admit, I have noticed men at work who I know are married, and never wear a ring. I remember a colleague of mine in the past, he never wore his ring, and I would scold him. But, we were friends. His wife met me and she said…I scold him too! But, it was in good fun. I can’t imagine butting into someone’s life and demanding an explanation. lol

My dh and I both remove them for exercising, baking, etc…I think there are times when I’m just too worried about the stone loosening, etc.

I noticed that Paula Deen never takes hers off…ever see her cooking show? She even makes hamburgers with her rings on–yuck…that must be a bear to clean.:o
 
I noticed that Paula Deen never takes hers off…ever see her cooking show? She even makes hamburgers with her rings on–yuck…that must be a bear to clean.:o
Oh my…If you are going to do that with your rings please do everyone in the Jewelry industry a favor and CLEAN YOUR RING YOURSELF. I had a client bring one in that was very ornate with lots of places it could catch gunk in…it reaked and was so gross (I think there was rotten meat in it among other things), the other sales girl had to run off to the bathroom and throw up in the middle of cleaning it. ICKY
 
Our marriage is intercultural so our home cultures look for the ring on different hands. As a compromise she wears her engagement ring on the right and wedding ring on the left so she is covered, sort of, no matter who she runs into. Men in her native land don’t wear the ring as much as American men do so I wear mine American stlye on the left.
 
Oh my…If you are going to do that with your rings please do everyone in the Jewelry industry a favor and CLEAN YOUR RING YOURSELF. I had a client bring one in that was very ornate with lots of places it could catch gunk in…it reaked and was so gross (I think there was rotten meat in it among other things), the other sales girl had to run off to the bathroom and throw up in the middle of cleaning it. ICKY
Yuck!! This is part of the reason I don’t wear my ring, even with the latex gloves, things could get on the ring. Not only are some of the chemicals corrosive, but some of the strains of bacterial I work with are not fun, and I wouldn’t want to pass them on to anyone! Pair that with plenty of time spent digging around in some not so clean places to test for pathogens, and yeah, it could be pretty gross.
 
Don’t tell the woman in the original post that I’m not wearing my ring right now…I went and got a manicure at lunch and left it on purpose at home.
 
Today at the girls school, one of the mothers (who I don’t really know) chewed me out for not wearing it (wedding ring) :confused: Said I was setting a bad example for the kids, and not respecting my marriage vows. (I can’t imagine what she would say if she found out I still use my maiden name)?
There seems to be no end to the criticism some people make when people don’t do what others they expect everyone to do. Hadn’t heard this one before but I’m sure it will not be the last.

While friends may talk about why they do or do not what most people do - like not wear a wedding ring or use their maiden name - its rude to interrogate strangers and those you don’t well about it.

Because I treasure having it I often wear my great grand-mother’s first wedding band on my right hand (usually with another ring). This has led some people to ask if I am divorced.
 
I noticed that Paula Deen never takes hers off…ever see her cooking show? She even makes hamburgers with her rings on–yuck…that must be a bear to clean.:o
UGH! That drives me crazy! Her rings are gorgeous! I’m always yelling at the tv “for heaven’s sakes, take off your rings!” I get a bit clausterphobic when it comes to that. 😊
 
Funny story…
Before I had my kids, and while my sister and her husband were trying for their first, she and I went up to the local pub for some beers. We started chatting, and suddenly she sat bolt upright in her chair and said ‘My period should have started today.’
I shot her a sideways glance. ‘So, you might be pregnant right now?’
There was a 24 hour pharmacy nearby so we drove up there to get her a pregnancy test. She’s the type who won’t believe the validity of one test, so she thought to buy six.
Now, I’d like for you to picture this. We just came from the bar. It’s nearly midnight. She REEKS of beer and cigarettes. Her wedding ring had a bent prong and was getting repaired, so she wasn’t wearing it. And here she is buying half a dozen pregnancy tests. Oh yeah, and her husband hunts and uses condoms to keep his gun from getting water in it while he’s hunting, so she figured, since she’s here already, she might as well pick those up, too. She got the FUNNIEST stare from the cashier!!

I usually don’t wear mine, and neither does hubby. 🤷 I take it off to do something and then forget all about it. It’s okay, I never forget that I have a husband. 🙂
 
I’d say wedding rings have a different level of importance to different people. My parents never wear theirs, and they’re still very much in love and very much married. As far as I know, nobody’s ever commented. My mom got more flak for keeping her maiden name. If they wanted to wear their rings, my mom wouldn’t be able to anyway - she works with her hands. My dad could, I suppose, but what’s the point? He knows he’s married, and he’s not out cavorting with single women who’d need the warning anyway.

I’m not married yet, or even engaged, although my boyfriend and I intend to marry. I wear a silver ring on my left hand to show that I’m unavailable. Since I’m living in a different country than him, I figure it’s not easy to guess that I’m spoken for. Wearing the ring is my way of discouraging single guys from thinking about me in that way. It doesn’t always work here, though, because most Koreans don’t consider it necessary to wear their rings. In fact, many married couples get gold watches instead.

My BF doesn’t have a ring to wear that represents our relationship. I guess that’ll wait until we get engaged and married. He did tell me that he intends to wear the ring everyday when we’re married. That makes me happy, but if the ring didn’t mean something to him, I wouldn’t expect it.
 
Isn’t not wearing a wedding band scandal at times, though?
uh no, not unless the person who is insulting you for not wearing your ring has an evil mind

news flash, ring not essential to sacrament of matrimony
 
40.png
Pro-Life_Teen:
Isn’t not wearing a wedding band scandal at times, though?
I’m curious what you mean by this.

Do you mean someone who is married not wearing a wedding ring can be a scandal. If so, why?

Or is it that those of us who can’t wear wedding rings are causing a scandal because we are not married.

Or is there another reason?
 
I am a high school shop (mostly metal and welding) teacher and I am also involved in farming. I also do some custom welding. In the shop, wearing a ring can be dangerous. It can get caught on machinery, grounded out when welding, and who knows what else. I have a friend that got his wedding ring caught on a tractor this summer on the farm. It peeled the tissue from above his top knuckle where the ring sits, down to about the finger nail where it all kind of stacked up. They were able to reconnect everything but he has almost no feeling in the finger now because of severed nerves. When I get married, I will probably not wear my ring much. I want something indestructible like titanium or stainless steel, but I will probably wear it on a chain around my neck with the dogtags I wear.

All of that being said, I would wear it when I could and I would want my wife to do the same. But I do not think it is an issue of right or wrong if done for valid reasons. The busy body needs to butt out.
 
uh no, not unless the person who is insulting you for not wearing your ring has an evil mind

news flash, ring not essential to sacrament of matrimony
I’m curious what you mean by this.
Do you mean someone who is married not wearing a wedding ring can be a scandal. If so, why?
Or is it that those of us who can’t wear wedding rings are causing a scandal because we are not married.
Or is there another reason?
I realize that I am derailing the thread to a degree, and I do apologize for that, but it struck me odd. In many other threads it’s mentioned that one cannot chastely stay over at a significant other’s house, or even perhaps get a hotel room with a cousin of the opposite gender while on vacation, due to others assuming you’re sexually active and therefore causing scandal.

But someone married can not have their wedding ring on, giving the impression that they are single and acting as a married person, and not cause scandal? A married couple who doesn’t wear their wedding bands to an outsider looks like a cohabitating couple.

I’m not saying that it’s wrong- I know some professions and such won’t allow for any jewelry of anykind. I’m actually going with the side that I think people take the sin of scandal too what seems an absurd degree. Thought something like this would be taken for scandal too…
 
Doesn’t scripture say that it’s not circumcision of the flesh that matters, but rather circumcision of the heart?

By the same logic: wouldn’t I rather have a wife who doesn’t wear the ring but is faithful in her heart as opposed to one who wears the ring but is unfaithful in her heart?

Honestly, as a married man I never even look to see whether or not a woman or man is wearing a wedding ring. It’s just not something I look at. If I were to see a man and woman where only one of them was wearing a wedding ring, it’s not something I would notice.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of jewelry and have always encouraged my wife to wear little or none at all. It was only with great convincing that she got me to wear a wedding ring. So there may be people out there who are like me who don’t like jewelry and don’t wear one because of that. But for each, their own.
 
40.png
Pro-Life_Teen:
But someone married can not have their wedding ring on, giving the impression that they are single
Continuing the deviation - Agree this can be a problem - I once went out with guy for a while who I thought was single and only found it that he was married (happily in his view!) when mutual friends told me as they suspected I didn’t know… But then I was naive enough then not to ask!!!
 
Continuing the deviation - Agree this can be a problem - I once went out with guy for a while who I thought was single and only found it that he was married (happily in his view!) when mutual friends told me as they suspected I didn’t know… But then I was naive enough then not to ask!!!
But really, for centuries men didn’t wear wedding bands. When I was growing up (50s & 60s) it was so unusual for a man wear one that a ‘double ring ceremony’ was talked about with surprise. Mom & Dad married in '53. He never had a wedding band until Mom got him one on their 25th anniversary and that’s when she got a replacement for the band that had broken (probably from long contact with mercury) about 10 years before. Nobody assumed in those years that either one of them was single.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top