How much (or little!) love is 'enough' for salvation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gorgias
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a sense yes, as God is love and all things work to his purposes, even fear.
It’s a mysterious thing and hard to discuss with any precision.

Love is
-to will- the good of another, for the sake of the other.
So love is not based in emotions, it’s based in the will.
Love is also a theological virtue, a gift from God. So, one must know and accept God’s love before one can love someone else. You can’t give what you don’t have. People may have love in their hearts we are unaware of. Maybe it’s not our business to know how much this and how much that.
At some level, I would say even atheists fear losing their life, being punished, or losing their children. Would you say this fear is from God? And if this fear is from God, then the only difference between an atheist and someone like me would be that I was LUCKY to learn about Roman Catholicism first as opposed to atheism because I probably would have chosen atheism as well had I learned about it first.

Also, I don’t know if you got to read my story above, but I feared the punishment that I would receive from a judge when I got a speeding ticket, but I wouldn’t say that my fear stemmed from a love for the judge. Honestly, if my ticket got waived because the judge died, I probably would have been happy. Sadly, this is how my relationship was with God during my early twenties. I was only kissing up to Jesus to get what I wanted, but I would have kissed up to Buddha, Allah, or Shiva if they gave me a better offer. Is this fear really from God?
 
Clem provided an excellent answer - which I obviously agree with.

In short - yes I believe that the fears you speak of are driven by a love and that all love comes from God who IS Love (1 John 4:7-8)
The atheist may not recognize or accept this. Those of other faiths might have differing understandings or explanations but in the final analysis the choice is between Love and hate - positive and negative - powers that build up - and those which tear down. The whole of the NT is really about this.

The examples you provide are interesting but those who love their children yet commit crimes are a wide and varied group. It is difficult to speak broadly about how God and satan are working in their lives. The same thing can be said about those who seem more virtuous. We might not know their struggles or what temptations and and sins are going in in their hearts.

Fear is not a part of this fundamental equation. Fear is an outgrowth of the more basic choice between life and death, love and hate. Fear of punishment is a basic primal reaction that stems from a self love - and we are to love ourselves because God loves us.

As for the matter of being “lucky enough to be exposed to RC teaching” - Yes you were lucky indeed. But even more critically - you were lucky enough to be exposed to Love.

Sorry - I tend to ramble a bit - I hope the above is of help to you. I once asked myself these same questions.

Peace
James
 
The question that Jay is asking essentially boils down to this: if I do the things that Catholics do (e.g., baptism, sacraments, Mass attendance, etc), but I don’t meet some minimum measurable standard of ‘love for Jesus’, am I not just some sort of ‘rule follower’ in the kind of way that means that I won’t be saved?
Its an interesting thought that all of us I would imagine have considered. The question often comes up when you hear comments about for example what I am “required” to do which often suggests the minimum in regards to salvation. My issue with it is perseverance and decades of it. There is something which should be acknowledged with those who indeed persevere be it they may be naive or ignorant

Its deeper though when you “know” the Church teaching and willfully ignore its precepts. Most important being Love Your Neighbor and the social teaching of Matthew 25 which we see in Catholic missionary world wide.

Let me give you example, This summer a midget walked up to me and wanted to chit chat at a social event I attended. I understood my own emotions immediately in which for whatever reason in my mind I was already rejecting the situation and thus the man. Through laboring through the incident after the fact, I seen how I failed my neighbor, and fell short. It may have been Jesus Christ in person reaching His hand out to me.

Its Gods commandment to Love Your Neighbor, not pick and choose who you like for whatever temporal carnal reason. There’s much to be learned in it. More important to begin to understand this, then you are responsible for the understanding-knowledge.
 
At some level, I would say even atheists fear losing their life, being punished, or losing their children. Would you say this fear is from God? And if this fear is from God, then the only difference between an atheist and someone like me would be that I was LUCKY to learn about Roman Catholicism first as opposed to atheism because I probably would have chosen atheism as well had I learned about it first.

Also, I don’t know if you got to read my story above, but I feared the punishment that I would receive from a judge when I got a speeding ticket, but I wouldn’t say that my fear stemmed from a love for the judge. Honestly, if my ticket got waived because the judge died, I probably would have been happy. Sadly, this is how my relationship was with God during my early twenties. I was only kissing up to Jesus to get what I wanted, but I would have kissed up to Buddha, Allah, or Shiva if they gave me a better offer. Is this fear really from God?
I would say yes, fear is an emotion, which is a gift from God. Healthy fear is a good thing. If, by our own free will, we make fear the center of our lives, then we have distorted something that has a healthy purpose. It is not God’s will that we -dwell in- fear. Fear is not the endpoint of faith any more than mere happiness (happiness and joy are not the same thing).

I am a cradle Catholic, so the Church is something I also “lucked into”. For 40 years I did not appreciate this gift. I must learn to accept that God has given me this gift, and spread it to those who haven’t heard it. The fact that I was born into it doesn’t diminish the gift, because in the end, it is God’s gift. No matter how small my faith is, it is all I truly possess.

If I doubt the authenticity and strength of the faith God has given me, I lose traction and can’t pass it to anyone. I have to keep in mind we all arrive at this moment through a very human and imperfect process. None of us have perfect motivations or perfect faith. If I orient my will to his, the motivation and true desire for Him will come.
 
Another thought that I take inspiration from:

The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.
Your questions witness to the journey you are on. If you were indifferent you would not be asking questions.
 
To be honest, I still don’t really understand how God could accept what my parents had and what I had in my early twenties as love, considering that what we were doing was really ALL business. As I mentioned, we didn’t care so much for God, but for His stuff. God was just one of many vendors who we could buy from and we just LUCKILY happened to go to His booth first. No love, just chance and good rule following. For the sake of argument, I will accept for the moment that perhaps what little we had could be considered love. I still feel that there’s a big focus on rule following/checking things off a list within modern day Roman Catholicism RATHER THAN LOVE and let me explain why.

Currently, I feel that I do have true love for God. It is by no means perfect, but I can honestly say that after actually feeling love for God, it made me realize that I didn’t have love for Him back in my early twenties. Some might say that I don’t really know what love for God is, but I would say that one knows when feelings for a particular person has changed and I definitely noticed a change in how I viewed God. Maybe it’s not perfect love, but there is definitely something present that wasn’t there during my early twenties.

Now, here’s the twist. I am no longer a practitioner of RC. Just to give you a background for the situation, I didn’t leave the RC Church out of rebelliousness or resentment. In fact, I wish all true followers (I question the Mormons at times) of Jesus Christ would just set aside their differences and focus on Jesus and the Gospel. I also didn’t leave because I don’t like rules. Actually, I’m a very good rule follower and like a lot of people, I would rather be given black and white rules and commandments, so that I can just check them off. As I grow in love for Jesus, I started to realize that everything isn’t black and white. Out of love, exceptions have to be made and sometimes those exceptions aren’t clear. In a way, I’d actually rather return to my old rule following ways because it was somewhat easier.

Anyway, just like the topic of this thread, there were other things that made me question whether the modern day RC Church diverged “too much” from early Christianity and this is why I left. From a salvation standpoint, it seems as if Roman Catholics favor my state back in my early twenties (following rules of RC, not having love for God) over my state now (not practicing RC, actually having love for God). As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, the relationship my parents and I (in my early twenties) had with God was pretty much loveless and I would say pathetic, but it seems as if RC posters are QUICK TO DEFEND us and say that we had a tiny bit of love simply because we continued to follow the rules of the RC Church. However, when I tell RC posters some of the things that I do now to help me increase my faith and love in God, they pretty much tell me that it’s good, BUT from a salvation standpoint, the things I’m doing doesn’t help me without following the rules of the RC church. This apparent focus on rule following/checking off of requirements over love bothers me and makes me think that something might have went wrong in the modern day RC Church.

Let me just share some examples of my concerns. I’ve told RC posters that I currently attend a nondenominational evangelical church. In this church, we have accountability groups where we share the events of our lives, including our darkest sins, on a regular basis. To me, this has actually led to more changes in my heart and in my attitude towards God, which in turn led to behavior changes. I remember as a practicing RC that I would confess to different priests partly due to their time constraints and partly due to my shame of confessing the same sin over and over. As a result, no rapport was developed and the priest didn’t really help me to change. JUST TO CLARIFY, I have NO PROBLEMS with people confessing to a priest AS LONG AS fruit is produced. However, RC posters seem to be more comfortable with my confessions to a priest during my early twenties (when I didn’t really have love for God and when my heart remained stagnant) over what I’m doing now, which I honestly believe is leading towards a more perfect contrition rather than just simple fear of punishment.

I somewhat understand the RC posters’ discomfort with my current situation considering that absolution/forgiveness (and ultimately salvation) is usually attained through the normative RC practices (ie baptism and reconciliation) from an RC point of view. However, I’m confused by some of the exceptions to the rule and how they apply. For example, I’ve heard that if a person TRULY wants to get baptized, but for some reason dies before the baptism, they can still attain forgiveness and salvation because of their desire for baptism. I’ve also heard (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that if a person TRULY wanted to confess their sins, but died before that could happen, that there is also an “exception” to the rule similar to baptism of desire.

What I’m confused about is why these exceptions don’t apply to me. I honestly love God now and in some ways, I feel that my contrition is becoming more perfect. I actually DESIRE to do God’s will and the only reason I don’t follow RC rules is because I’m actually SCARED that modern day Roman Catholicism is deceiving me. If God can look past the situation of the poor guy who died before his baptism, I don’t see why God couldn’t look past my situation, but it seems as if RC posters don’t feel the same way. Again, it seems as if my love for God doesn’t really weight as much as following rules.

Just to reiterate, it seems as if loyalty to the RC Church, rule following, checking off RC requirements are more important than actual love for God. Can you really blame me for questioning modern day Roman Catholicism’s practices?
 
As I mentioned, we didn’t care so much for God, but for His stuff. God was just one of many vendors who we could buy from and we just LUCKILY happened to go to His booth first.
Perhaps… but you went to His booth nevertheless. And, as it were, you went not because it was the first or only one – but because you believed that it was efficacious. That is, you (or your parents) went because you believed it worked. That’s faith, and that’s what God asks of us. 😉
No love, just chance and good rule following.
So, according to your way of thinking, what saves you is your love? That is, what you believe is that your work, which you perform, through your love of Jesus, is what saves you? No, that’s not what Jesus says – it’s grace that saves, through faith. Love comes (or doesn’t come), but it’s faith that saves. By queuing up at God’s vending line, your parents exhibited faith. By accepting the sacraments, you exhibited faith. The project you’re working on now, of course, is turning that faith into acts of love and devotion for God. But the hinge here is faith.
Currently, I feel that I do have true love for God. It is by no means perfect, but I can honestly say that after actually feeling love for God, it made me realize that I didn’t have love for Him back in my early twenties.
And your love is salvific? 😉

(I’ll save the rest of your post for later, once you’ve had a chance to respond to my comments. You raise interesting points, but they’re a bit far afield for the current question. Let’s finish discussing your questions about “enough love”, and then move forward, ok? Fair enough?)

Blessings,
G.
 
Perhaps… but you went to His booth nevertheless. And, as it were, you went not because it was the first or only one – but because you believed that it was efficacious. That is, you (or your parents) went because you believed it worked. That’s faith, and that’s what God asks of us.
Yes, I did believe that it would work, but in retrospect, I would have believed that other ways would have worked as well. Self preservation/improvement was my motivation, not following God’s work. When Eve took the fruit to improve her situation, she had FAITH in SATAN that it would work. She was willing to try ANYTHING to better her condition and that’s what I was doing too without regards to the person offering it.
So, according to your way of thinking, what saves you is your love? That is, what you believe is that your work, which you perform, through your love of Jesus, is what saves you? No, that’s not what Jesus says – it’s grace that saves, through faith. Love comes (or doesn’t come), but it’s faith that saves. By queuing up at God’s vending line, your parents exhibited faith. By accepting the sacraments, you exhibited faith. The project you’re working on now, of course, is turning that faith into acts of love and devotion for God. But the hinge here is faith.
Oh I have no doubt that faith saves. It does bother me that (according to your statement above) love doesn’t necessarily have to come, yet it seems as if good rule following/checking things off of Roman Catholic rules DOES have to come. I’m not here to debate that faith saves. I’m trying to figure out why it seem as if following RC rules seems to be more important than love and the implications of this.
 
Gorgias, going back to what you were saying about having faith for the vendor, maybe I shouldn’t have used this analogy because I unintentionally implied that there was some choice. I’m going back to the traffic court judge analogy. Different judges may have different requirements to clear the ticket and I would have just gone with WHATEVER judge happened to be assigned to me, so LUCK of the draw was more influential than faith in my following of rules at this point.
 
To be honest, I still don’t really understand how God could accept what my parents had and what I had in my early twenties as love, considering that what we were doing was really ALL business. As I mentioned, we didn’t care so much for God, but for His stuff. God was just one of many vendors who we could buy from and we just LUCKILY happened to go to His booth first. No love, just chance and good rule following. For the sake of argument, I will accept for the moment that perhaps what little we had could be considered love.
Please remember that we do not know you outside of the few things yo uhave shared her. Our replies have been to that. Only you know if if or how much love was there…All we can do is to give you something to consider.
Currently, I feel that I do have true love for God. It is by no means perfect, but I can honestly say that after actually feeling love for God, it made me realize that I didn’t have love for Him back in my early twenties. Some might say that I don’t really know what love for God is, but I would say that one knows when feelings for a particular person has changed and I definitely noticed a change in how I viewed God. Maybe it’s not perfect love, but there is definitely something present that wasn’t there during my early twenties.
Glory be to God.
Now, here’s the twist. I am no longer a practitioner of RC.
I think most of us already had that figured out…😃
Just to give you a background for the situation, I didn’t leave the RC Church out of rebelliousness or resentment. In fact, I wish all true followers (I question the Mormons at times) of Jesus Christ would just set aside their differences and focus on Jesus and the Gospel. I also didn’t leave because I don’t like rules. Actually, I’m a very good rule follower and like a lot of people, I would rather be given black and white rules and commandments, so that I can just check them off. As I grow in love for Jesus, I started to realize that everything isn’t black and white. Out of love, exceptions have to be made and sometimes those exceptions aren’t clear. In a way, I’d actually rather return to my old rule following ways because it was somewhat easier.
You’ll get no argument from me on this or from the Church - for it is recorded in the Catechism that one needs to follow their well formed conscience. The key being “well formed” which is where “rules” come in…to train those who are immature in faith and to form one’s conscience. Unfortunately - as you point out, it can get to be too much “rule following”.
Anyway, just like the topic of this thread, there were other things that made me question whether the modern day RC Church diverged “too much” from early Christianity and this is why I left. From a salvation standpoint, it seems as if Roman Catholics favor my state back in my early twenties (following rules of RC, not having love for God) over my state now (not practicing RC, actually having love for God).
This may be - but remember that what individual Catholics might favor for you is not necessarily the same thing as what the Church teaches.
As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, the relationship my parents and I (in my early twenties) had with God was pretty much loveless and I would say pathetic, but it seems as if RC posters are QUICK TO DEFEND us and say that we had a tiny bit of love simply because we continued to follow the rules of the RC Church. However, when I tell RC posters some of the things that I do now to help me increase my faith and love in God, they pretty much tell me that it’s good, BUT from a salvation standpoint, the things I’m doing doesn’t help me without following the rules of the RC church. This apparent focus on rule following/checking off of requirements over love bothers me and makes me think that something might have went wrong in the modern day RC Church.
Well one needs to find a balance. one needs to ask the question whether you can do the things that are helping you and STILL be in the Church.
Let me just share some examples of my concerns. I’ve told RC posters that I currently attend a nondenominational evangelical church. In this church, we have accountability groups where we share the events of our lives, including our darkest sins, on a regular basis. To me, this has actually led to more changes in my heart and in my attitude towards God, which in turn led to behavior changes. I remember as a practicing RC that I would confess to different priests partly due to their time constraints and partly due to my shame of confessing the same sin over and over. As a result, no rapport was developed and the priest didn’t really help me to change. JUST TO CLARIFY, I have NO PROBLEMS with people confessing to a priest AS LONG AS fruit is produced. However, RC posters seem to be more comfortable with my confessions to a priest during my early twenties (when I didn’t really have love for God and when my heart remained stagnant) over what I’m doing now, which I honestly believe is leading towards a more perfect contrition rather than just simple fear of punishment.
Well I can’t speak for other posters and like I said - all we can each do is give our opinion. Personally I like what you describe above. I don’t see anything in it that one could not do within the Church - AND - have the benefit of confession.
Now having said that, I can easily see that such an arrangement has it’s own inherent dangers…and one could even surmise that the dangers inherent in such a system might be what lead to the practice of private confession.

(Cont)
 
(Cont)
I somewhat understand the RC posters’ discomfort with my current situation considering that absolution/forgiveness (and ultimately salvation) is usually attained through the normative RC practices (ie baptism and reconciliation) from an RC point of view. However, I’m confused by some of the exceptions to the rule and how they apply. For example, I’ve heard that if a person TRULY wants to get baptized, but for some reason dies before the baptism, they can still attain forgiveness and salvation because of their desire for baptism. I’ve also heard (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that if a person TRULY wanted to confess their sins, but died before that could happen, that there is also an “exception” to the rule similar to baptism of desire.
Correct.
What I’m confused about is why these exceptions don’t apply to me. I honestly love God now and in some ways, I feel that my contrition is becoming more perfect. I actually DESIRE to do God’s will and the only reason I don’t follow RC rules is because I’m actually SCARED that modern day Roman Catholicism is deceiving me. If God can look past the situation of the poor guy who died before his baptism, I don’t see why God couldn’t look past my situation, but it seems as if RC posters don’t feel the same way. Again, it seems as if my love for God doesn’t really weight as much as following rules.
Why do you put so much weight on what some posters say? If they are comfortable “following the rules” then good for them. What you need to do is to truly educate yourself on what the Church actually teaches and more importantly WHY the Church teaches as she does. This might help you to find the proper balance, alleviate your fears of being deceived and then allow you to return to the greatest of the Sacraments - Receiving the Eucharist.

I would suggest that the reason people advise you as they do - on following the rules - is because they see you as having walked away from a great gift of God. This concerns them and they truly wish to help.

Now believe me I understand how one might need to leave the Church to find her. I, like the prodigal son, was away for some 35 years.
Once you work past these issues and come to understand Church teaching more fully, I think you just might come back too.
Just to share a bit with you. When I was young I was kind of the same. The whole thing was very business like. but having been away and developing a greater understanding of Faith, God, Love, and relationship, I came back home. Now it’s not “business” it’s joy…I have actually cried more than once after receiving communion. It is that deeply emotional for me.
Love of God is very definitely to be found in the Catholic Church.
Come on home when you are ready.
Just to reiterate, it seems as if loyalty to the RC Church, rule following, checking off RC requirements are more important than actual love for God. Can you really blame me for questioning modern day Roman Catholicism’s practices?
Nope - Like I said above - been there done that!!!
Keep questioning - - keep growing - - and I believe you will find yourself back home in the Catholic church, just like me, on your knees crying after having received our Great Lord and King - body blood soul and divinity into your body.

God Bless you on your journey.

Peace
James
 
Gorgias, going back to what you were saying about having faith for the vendor, maybe I shouldn’t have used this analogy because I unintentionally implied that there was some choice.
Jay,

The thing is… there is ‘some choice’! You could choose to go to ‘a different judge’ or you could choose to ignore the judge altogether!
I would have just gone with WHATEVER judge happened to be assigned to me
Fair enough. Yet, the act of going to the judge and responding to him is an act of acknowledgement of his authority, isn’t it? If you got a parking ticket, would you come to me and ask for it to be dismissed? Of course not – you’d have no expectation that coming to me would do anything at all!
so LUCK of the draw was more influential than faith in my following of rules at this point.
If you had no faith, then why go to God? 😉

You may have not had great love for God at that point in your life – and don’t get me wrong, love for God is important – but you came to him. He made his free offering of grace to you, and you accepted it. That’s an act of faith, and that’s what we’re asked to do. (Now, what you do with your faith is important, too: we’re expected to take the graces of our baptism and do works of supernatural charity – but our salvation is a gift from God and not something that we earn on our own, through our actions.)
 
Yes, I did believe that it would work, but in retrospect, I would have believed that other ways would have worked as well.
Ok, so your knowledge and understanding was deficient at that point. In the other thread, we already covered the fact that salvation doesn’t come to a person based on the accuracy or breadth of their understanding of the faith. 🤷
Self preservation/improvement was my motivation, not following God’s work.
I’m not seeing why this is a problem. Are you saying that, throughout history (heck, let’s forget history – let’s just think about the people who experienced Jesus Himself during His earthly ministry!), people accepted Jesus’ message out of deep abiding love in Him? Or, wasn’t it rather the case that they accepted Jesus’ message because they wanted to experience this “Kingdom of Heaven” that He kept talking about?!?
When Eve took the fruit to improve her situation, she had FAITH in SATAN that it would work. She was willing to try ANYTHING to better her condition and that’s what I was doing too without regards to the person offering it.
But we’re not talking about faith in something that isn’t God. We’re talking about faith in God. You had it. God responded. Period.
Oh I have no doubt that faith saves. It does bother me that (according to your statement above) love doesn’t necessarily have to come, yet it seems as if good rule following/checking things off of Roman Catholic rules DOES have to come.
What you call “good rule following”, I call “living your life in the way that the Church asks of you.” You’re saying that this is a bad thing?

Or, perhaps you’re saying that it simply appears to you as if people are doing this without any interior disposition to please God? We’ve covered this one, too – you can’t know that without knowing the state of their souls. You can, of course, project your own experience onto them, but that’s never valid.
I’m trying to figure out why it seem as if following RC rules seems to be more important than love and the implications of this.
Have you ever learned a musical instrument, or learned a new skill, or started playing a sport? In the beginning, there’s no ‘love’; there’s no ‘mastery’ of the skill; there’s no proficiency at all. What there is, though, is the attempt to learn by doing. (This is what Pascal was saying with his ‘Wager’, after all. People always misinterpret him to mean “if you want faith but don’t feel it, just fake it,” but that’s not what he meant at all. Rather, he meant that, if you desire faith but aren’t quite there yet, then start by doing the things that people with faith do. Through your actions, then, faith (and love!) will grow in you.)

You see, it’s by doing that we come to knowledge and our faith turns into love. I’m not saying, at all, that “following rules is more important than love” – that’s something that you’re projecting onto what we’re saying here. What I saying is that, in your case, in which there was that kernel of faith (which is a kernel of love of God), you can’t just ‘force’ yourself to love God. But, the hope is that, by having an active faith life – that is, by doing what the Church asks Catholics to do – you will activate the graces God’s given you and jumpstart your love for Christ.

In a way, it’s a kind of “Karate Kid” approach to spirituality. Daniel didn’t realize that all the chores he was doing were preparing him to be a karate master. Yet, at a certain point in his development, that awareness arose in him. At that point – when he realized that “checking off the boxes” was really training – do you think he continued to look down in scorn at those hours he’d spent being a “good rule follower”? Of course not. Then… why do you?
 
Have you ever learned a musical instrument, or learned a new skill, or started playing a sport? In the beginning, there’s no ‘love’; there’s no ‘mastery’ of the skill; there’s no proficiency at all. What there is, though, is the attempt to learn by doing. (This is what Pascal was saying with his ‘Wager’, after all. People always misinterpret him to mean “if you want faith but don’t feel it, just fake it,” but that’s not what he meant at all. Rather, he meant that, if you desire faith but aren’t quite there yet, then start by doing the things that people with faith do. Through your actions, then, faith (and love!) will grow in you.)
You see, it’s by doing that we come to knowledge and our faith turns into love. I’m not saying, at all, that “following rules is more important than love” – that’s something that you’re projecting onto what we’re saying here. What I saying is that, in your case, in which there was that kernel of faith (which is a kernel of love of God), you can’t just ‘force’ yourself to love God. But, the hope is that, by having an active faith life – that is, by doing what the Church asks Catholics to do – you will activate the graces God’s given you and jumpstart your love for Christ.
In a way, it’s a kind of “Karate Kid” approach to spirituality. Daniel didn’t realize that all the chores he was doing were preparing him to be a karate master. Yet, at a certain point in his development, that awareness arose in him. At that point – when he realized that “checking off the boxes” was really training – do you think he continued to look down in scorn at those hours he’d spent being a “good rule follower”? Of course not. Then… why do you?
Gorgias,
Great posts above. I copied this part because I think it is a great analogy (parable?) for our times and the issues we try to address. Indeed the “rule following” is not the be-all and end-all of the faith. If it were the Judaizers would not have been overrode in the Council in Acts 15. No there is much more to it and the “rule following” is the early training. It is largely for (as Paul calls them) those who must be fed milk because they are not ready for meat.

Now that said, I understand ans sympathize with Jay’s concern for I too see in many people this sort of “rule following” mentality that seems to not progress. There can be many reasons for this…poor teaching might be one, inability to progress might be another…simple sloth might be a third. I do think that we need to do better at trying to bring people to a deeper understanding of the faith…but that’s another subject.

I think where Jay has slipped off the rails just a bit is that he has projected his experience onto the Church in general - in her teaching. This is where he needs to gain a better understanding. He has valid questions about what he sees as “many posters here” suggesting or promoting. What he needs to do now (IMHO) is see how those vies square with actual Church teaching and the writings of some of the great saints.

Peace
James
 
Gorgias and JRKH, I’ll respond to your other statements laters, but this is all I have time for now.
But we’re not talking about faith in something that isn’t God. We’re talking about faith in God. You had it. God responded. Period.
Gorgias, this was your response when I said:
When Eve took the fruit to improve her situation, she had FAITH in SATAN that it would work.

When I said this, what I wanted to emphasize was that the “faith” I had wasn’t really directed at Jesus. The faith was in the supernatural in general, whether it be Buddha, Shiva, Zeus, etc. It was just a matter of who came first. I don’t know how to articulate this, but I don’t think that we’re talking about the same kind of faith, but let me try to approach it from a different angle. The pharisees also had faith that God’s rules would work, but there was clearly something wrong with their approach. You seem to be defending some sort of faith that I had. Assuming I did have faith, what made it different from that of the pharisees? I personally don’t think there’s a difference and I think that God requires a different kind of “faith” that I can’t really articulate at this time.
 
Gorgias and JRKH, I’ll respond to your other statements laters, but this is all I have time for now.

Gorgias, this was your response when I said:
When Eve took the fruit to improve her situation, she had FAITH in SATAN that it would work.

When I said this, what I wanted to emphasize was that the “faith” I had wasn’t really directed at Jesus. The faith was in the supernatural in general, whether it be Buddha, Shiva, Zeus, etc. It was just a matter of who came first. I don’t know how to articulate this, but I don’t think that we’re talking about the same kind of faith, but let me try to approach it from a different angle. The pharisees also had faith that God’s rules would work, but there was clearly something wrong with their approach. You seem to be defending some sort of faith that I had. Assuming I did have faith, what made it different from that of the pharisees? I personally don’t think there’s a difference and I think that God requires a different kind of “faith” that I can’t really articulate at this time.
Gorgias will, I’m sure, answer for himself but I would like to offer my thoughts on this matter. Much of what you say above is quite correct which shows how much you are growing in your faith and in your love. Praise God for all good things.

In my posts on the matter, saying that you already had a love, it wasn’t that it was a perfect love but that it was pointed in the right direction. I based that on some of the things you had written. You were choosing life - not death and while the reasons may not have been the best, they were still good and they ultimately led you to where you are now.

To address the Pharisee issue…What Jesus took issue with was that they DIDN’T have faith in God - not really. Their lives were devoid of Love or mercy which is essential to having a living and saving faith. They were following rules for the sake of following rules. They relied on being decendents of Abraham - not on living Holy lives. They had completely divorced themselves from faith. For them it was about position and power and profit…not about love or mercy or glorifying God. That is why Jesus referred to them as whitewashed sepulchers.
Do you think that you were living a life comparable to a “whitewashed sepulcher”?

Peace
James
 
Jay - I think that you would find the book in my signature to be both extremely interesting and spiritually uplifting. Until I found this book I was unaware of the deep and rich Mystic history and tradition in the Church.
I had heard of some of the saints in the book but didn’t really know much about them.

That book was a real eye-opener for me on just the sort of things we have been talking about here.

Peace
James
 
Why do you put so much weight on what some posters say? If they are comfortable “following the rules” then good for them. What you need to do is to truly educate yourself on what the Church actually teaches and more importantly WHY the Church teaches as she does.
I know that the opinions of posters can vary and I’m not necessarily going to put weight on what one person says. However, if I continue to see the same sort of response over and over again, I’m going to think that their views actually reflect those of the RC Church. For now, let me resummarize my situation. Please give me your thoughts and then refer me to the verses in Scripture or the CCC that would help me understand.

During my early twenties, I didn’t have love for God if I’m honest with myself. I wanted an eternity without punishment, but I would have taken it ANY way that I could regardless of who gave it to me. I would go to confession for fear of punishment. As I mentioned, no priest really got to know me, so my lack of love wasn’t detected or corrected. I wasn’t trying to be loveless on purpose. I was just brought up thinking that Jesus was JUST ANOTHER authority figure that I needed to kiss up to like my teachers in school or the cop that pulled me over.

Now, there is a love for God that I KNOW I didn’t have before. Again, it’s not perfect, but it has led me to actually feel the weight of my sins. As far as participating in RC activities, I have stopped due to my honest discomfort about the way that they are done. I definitely want to do the will of God, but I’m not going to just participate in something just because a human being told me that God gave them the power to do so. Other religions have made similar claims. If I’m expected to scrutinize these claims for the sake of the truth, I don’t see why Roman Catholicism’s claims shouldn’t be scrutinized as well.

From a salvation standpoint, do you think I am better off now or in my early twenties? Don’t worry, I will not take your word as Gospel, but I still want to get an idea of how you view this. Again, please refer me to the proper references.
 
You were choosing life - not death and while the reasons may not have been the best, they were still good and they ultimately led you to where you are now.
But who in their right mind would choose death? Even atheists don’t choose death, but I personally wouldn’t say that their choice to live is the kernel of love that God desires from us. Or maybe, I’m looking at this completely different, is the atheist’s choice for life INDEED the kernel of love?
Do you think that you were living a life comparable to a “whitewashed sepulcher”?
I’m not sure what that encompasses, but let me come from a different angle. I feel that the problem with the pharisees was that their true savior wasn’t God, but it was actually themselves and their ability to follow rules. Of course, they’re not going to admit that just like I wasn’t going to admit back then that God’s rules were just one of many that I was willing to follow. Back then, I was trusting in myself to save myself without any true love for God. In that sense, I was similar to the pharisees.
 
I know that the opinions of posters can vary and I’m not necessarily going to put weight on what one person says. However, if I continue to see the same sort of response over and over again, I’m going to think that their views actually reflect those of the RC Church.
Well - in this it is wise to be cautious and to ask for sources etc. Then having received the sources, read them carefully. In this two things are likely to occur.
  1. You will better understand why the people post as they do and
  2. By reading more deeply into the sources, you will better understand the actual teachings of the Church.
For now, let me resummarize my situation. Please give me your thoughts and then refer me to the verses in Scripture or the CCC that would help me understand.
Not sure how well I can do on this…but I shall try.
During my early twenties, I didn’t have love for God if I’m honest with myself. I wanted an eternity without punishment, but I would have taken it ANY way that I could regardless of who gave it to me.
Fair enough. Thank God that the way you sere exposed to was the Christian way.
I would go to confession for fear of punishment. As I mentioned, no priest really got to know me, so my lack of love wasn’t detected or corrected.
Yes. I am afraid that this sort of thing happens all too often.
I wasn’t trying to be loveless on purpose. I was just brought up thinking that Jesus was JUST ANOTHER authority figure that I needed to kiss up to like my teachers in school or the cop that pulled me over.
Understood. However I assume that decisions you were making (including following the rules) reflected an attitude of love for yourself and for others…that you actually believed that the commandments and such were GOOD things. This is what I mean when I speak of having an underlying foundation of love to build on…a love that comes from God because you are embracing that which is good.
Now, there is a love for God that I KNOW I didn’t have before. Again, it’s not perfect, but it has led me to actually feel the weight of my sins.
Amen. We all need to discover this and seek to grow in it.
As far as participating in RC activities, I have stopped due to my honest discomfort about the way that they are done. I definitely want to do the will of God, but I’m not going to just participate in something just because a human being told me that God gave them the power to do so. Other religions have made similar claims. If I’m expected to scrutinize these claims for the sake of the truth, I don’t see why Roman Catholicism’s claims shouldn’t be scrutinized as well
.
Scrutinize away my friend. The Catholic Church can stand it. There isn’t a single one of the Sacraments that doesn’t have God’s (not man’s) endorsement - up to and including the greatest of them…the Holy Eucharist.
From a salvation standpoint, do you think I am better off now or in my early twenties? Don’t worry, I will not take your word as Gospel, but I still want to get an idea of how you view this. Again, please refer me to the proper references.
Oh I definitely think you are better off now than in your twenties. I just don’t think that your journey is finished yet. I truly think (or maybe just hope;)) that you will one day return to the Church and once home again you will be a great asset to your fellow Catholics.

Scripturally - there can be no doubt of the importance of Love for God and neighbor. Jesus tells us that this is the root and foundation of all of the law and prophets. Jesus gives us just one command - To Love one another. Paul tells us that Love is the greatest of the virtues and without it faith is worthless. Paul further tells us that in loving our neighbor as ourselves, we fulfill all of the law.
Further, I would submit that the rules of the Church all stem from that Love and not from a “law” mentality.
The Catechism gives us the freedom to follow our conscience…but at the same time cautions us that we must properly form our conscience. This can be understood in different ways and certainly it does involve a healthy portion of submitting ourselves to the rules of the Church in obedience to Christ.

Personally I think that you are doing a fine job of forming your conscience and hope you will continue to do so.
This is why I recommend the book in my signature to you. I think you will find it to be a most interesting read.

Hope this helps a little

Peace
James
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top